PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day 1991

hsnterprize
04-04-2003, 06:52 AM
Hi folks...

This may be a moot point, but I'm curious about how things were on Opening Day in 1991, when the new Comiskey Park opened. Obviously, I know Jack McDowell and the Sox got rocket by the Detroit Tigers 16 to nothing that afternoon in spite of a crowd of over 44,000 in attendance. I know there were "oohs" and "ahhs" with the new stadium, and the mutterings of a super-steep upper deck were just beginning. However, I was stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina as part of the 82nd Airborne Division when the new Comiskey opened. There were some blurbs on national TV (i.e., ESPN) about the ballpark, but nothing like what happened the next year when Oriole Park at Camden Yards opened. I was in Korea in '92, and I remember scores of national media balking about Camden's architecture and stuff. I remember writing a wordy, yet angry letter to Sports Illiustrated reminding an author about Comsikey being the first baseball-only stadium to open since Royals Stadium in the '70's, and other points. Needless to say, we all know what's happened with our ballpark since that year.

So, I'd like to read your stories on what it was like to be at the new Comiskey Park on the day of the new park's first game. Everything from your view of the field to seeing a big hole in the old Comiskey Park's exterior.