PDA

View Full Version : New Sports Illustrated Chicago Baseball Story

Lip Man 1
04-03-2003, 11:10 PM
In the new issue of Sports Illustrated, Rick Telander has a long story (obviously written before the Sox opened) on Chicago baseball called "Hey, Chicago Wait Till This Year." The sub caption says "Long suffering Cubs and White Sox fans have their hopes up again (sort of)"

It is a great article. The first thing you'll notice on page 48 is the picture of Al Smith getting a "beer bath" in the 1959 series. The caption is "Al Smith's 59 Beer Bath in L.A." (Boy they blew that one didn't they!)

Telander looks at the long futile history of Chicago baseball with some of the most memorable quotes you'll ever see!

First off the Elias Sports Bureau is quoted as saying "the odds against the Cubs and White Sox giving one city 180 years of combined futility are 10,000 to 1. Which is to say statistically impossible, yet true."

Here are some other gems: "Maybe there's somebody up there not looking after us."--Billy Pierce .

"The Sox had their best team in decades in 1994, led by guitar playing Jack McDowell and young slugger Frank Thomas. They were 21 games over .500 when baseball shut down-only to see it neutered by the strike-with management's biggest nut cutter being the Sox' chairman Jerry Reinsdorf."--Rick Telander

"Man they used to have Nellie Fox, and Luis Aparicio. Now, Frank Thomas, Mark Buehrle, and Bartolo Colon? Like I could care? There are heroes on the North Side. Thomas is a mope. Snap out of it! Plus, I hate the park."--Bill Peterson, the Chicago born star of the TV show, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

"The newly renamed park--fans will appreciate the improvements we're making with signage money says Reinsdorf-is not exactly sterile but it has roughly the charm of a clean utensil drawer."--Rick Telander

"A lot of the Sox' fans problems with the Cubs is jealousy, but Wrigley is a dump . I'd love to hit there. But it's a dump."--Bill Melton

"I have interviewed literally hundreds of Cubs fans around the park, made it a point to talk to them after excruciating losses. I ask them, did you have fun? And about 90 per cent of them says yes. I ask them why. Well we saw the girls fall out of their halter tops. The beer was cold, the breeze was off the lake. What's better on a Summer afternoon ."--Bill Jauss, Chicago Tribune

"The Cubs don't have to win to entertain, and the 69 Cubs epitomized that. Where else has a loser been so glorified? Sox fans are more discriminating. They think they know more baseball then Cub fans. They think they're all Tony LaRussas. In the meantime the Cub fans are having more fun."--Jeff Torborg.

"I'm a Sox fan. I have two brothers who are Sox fans and one sister who is. Another sister became a heretic, a Cubs fan. My father said, "I'd rather she left the church!"--Bill Gleason

"I'm convinced the Sox are cursed."--Bill Gleason

"Ray Schalk told me 'there never would have been any f----- Yankees if it weren't for 1919'"--Bill Gleason

"Yes it's North and South, but it's also racial . My Dad tried to go see Jackie Robinson in 1948 and was turned away. He vowed he would never go see the Cubs play again. We'd take the L to Comiskey 20 times a year. But Wrigley might as well have been in Minneapolis."--Michael Wilbon Chicago native and St. Joseph's high school graduate.

"I don't expect to see the Cubs or Sox win a World Series in my lifetime. I stopped daydreaming about it."--Michael Wilbon.

"All the baseball infighting in this city and it means nothing. It's like a slug calling the worm a crawler."--Tom Serritella WMVP radio producer.

Let the discussion begin!

Lip

hose
04-03-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
In the new issue of Sports Illustrated, Rick Telander has a long story (obviously written before the Sox opened) on Chicago baseball called "Hey, Chicago Wait Till This Year." The sub caption says "Long suffering Cubs and White Sox fans have their hopes up again (sort of)"

It is a great article. The first thing you'll notice on page 48 is the picture of Al Smith getting a "beer bath" in the 1959 series. The caption is "Al Smith's 59 Beer Bath in L.A." (Boy they blew that one didn't they!)

Telander looks at the long futile history of Chicago baseball with some of the most memorable quotes you'll ever see!

First off the Elias Sports Bureau is quoted as saying "the odds against the Cubs and White Sox giving one city 180 years of combined futility are 10,000 to 1. Which is to say statistically impossible, yet true."

Here are some other gems: "Maybe there's somebody up there not looking after us."--Billy Pierce .

"The Sox had their best team in decades in 1994, led by guitar playing Jack McDowell and young slugger Frank Thomas. They were 21 games over .500 when baseball shut down-only to see it neutered by the strike-with management's biggest nut cutter being the Sox' chairman Jerry Reinsdorf."--Rick Telander

"Man they used to have Nellie Fox, and Luis Aparicio. Now, Frank Thomas, Mark Buehrle, and Bartolo Colon? Like I could care? There are heroes on the North Side. Thomas is a mope. Snap out of it! Plus, I hate the park."--Bill Peterson, the Chicago born star of the TV show, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.

"The newly renamed park--fans will appreciate the improvements we're making with signage money says Reinsdorf-is not exactly sterile but it has roughly the charm of a clean utensil drawer."--Rick Telander

"A lot of the Sox' fans problems with the Cubs is jealousy, but Wrigley is a dump. I'd love to hit there. But it's a dump."--Bill Melton

"I have interviewed literally hundreds of Cubs fans around the park, made it a point to talk to them after excruciating losses. I ask them, did you have fun? And about 90 per cent of them says yes. I ask them why. Well we saw the girls fall out of their halter tops. The beer was cold, the breeze was off the lake. What's better on a Summer afternoon ."--Bill Jauss, Chicago Tribune

"The Cubs don't have to win to entertain, and the 69 Cubs epitomized that. Where else has a loser been so glorified? Sox fans are more discriminating. They think they know more baseball then Cub fans. They think they're all Tony LaRussas. In the meantime the Cub fans are having more fun."--Jeff Torborg.

"I'm a Sox fan. I have two brothers who are Sox fans and one sister who is. Another sister became a heretic, a Cubs fan. My father said, "I'd rather she left the church!"--Bill Gleason

[B]"I'm convinced the Sox are cursed."--Bill Gleason

"Ray Schalk told me 'there never would have been any f----- Yankees if it weren't for 1919'"--Bill Gleason

"Yes it's North and South, but it's also racial. My Dad tried to go see Jackie Robinson in 1948 and was turned away. He vowed he would never go see the Cubs play again. We'd take the L to Comiskey 20 times a year. But Wrigley might as well have been in Minneapolis."--Michael Wilbon Chicago native and St. Joseph's high school graduate.

"I don't expect to see the Cubs or Sox win a World Series in my lifetime. I stopped daydreaming about it."--Michael Wilbon.

"All the baseball infighting in this city and it means nothing. It's like a slug calling the worm a crawler."--Tom Serritella WMVP radio producer.

Let the discussion begin!

Lip

Great timing Lip !! It's like getting kicked when you're down.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Hose:

This isn't a rip at anybody. It's a great story, it happened to come out today.

I personally think it makes Cub fans look like idiots but that's just me.

I posted it to start the arguements over some of the quotes.

I'm sorry it doesn't look like the Sox will ever win anything either. That's not my fault, personally I hold the owner responsible.

Lip

Procol Harum
04-04-2003, 11:07 AM

[B]"I'm convinced the Sox are cursed."--Bill Gleason

[B]

Sounds like a good article--now that I let my subscription to SI lapse...

After 42 years of Sox fandom, the quotes above kinda sum up my worst fears and suspicions.

Mammoo
04-04-2003, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Like I give a flying fling what Tom Frickin' Serritella has to say. I'm amazed that the Chet Coppock sycophant can formulate a complete sentence.

http://a68.g.akamai.net/f/68/895/3d/i.tsn.com/i/p/radio/voices/200x150/coppock_onsports_200x150-rdo.gif
"Get me a diet Coke Tom!"

hose
04-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Hose:

This isn't a rip at anybody. It's a great story, it happened to come out today.

I personally think it makes Cub fans look like idiots but that's just me.

I posted it to start the arguements over some of the quotes.

I'm sorry it doesn't look like the Sox will ever win anything either. That's not my fault, personally I hold the owner responsible.

Lip

Last thing I wanted to read yesterday was someone besides a Sox fan ripping the White Sox . After a win the article is now easily absorbed. :D:

The Good : Bill Melton ripping Wrigley

The Bad: Telander

The Ugly: Bill Peterson

Juan Pizarro
04-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Wilbon's dead on with the racial angle. That was one thing I always loved about Comiskey: Sox fans truly were the Rainbow Coalition. Our park, too, was one of the key sites in the Negro Leagues, and that history is important.

I don't know that's the case anymore. It's harder to scratch up the dough if you're on the lower end of the scale, as opposed to the old $2 general admission seat.

I always remember what my dad said about the Five Basic Types of Cub Fans:

1. The elderly, because they have nothing better to do during the day.

2. The infirm, for the same reason.

3. Little kids, because they don't know any better and like the day games.

4. Wimps, because they won't go to the South Side at night.

5. Racists, for the same reason.

LuvSox
04-07-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro

I always remember what my dad said about the Five Basic Types of Cub Fans:

1. The elderly, because they have nothing better to do during the day.

2. The infirm, for the same reason.

3. Little kids, because they don't know any better and like the day games.

4. Wimps, because they won't go to the South Side at night.

5. Racists, for the same reason.

Beautifully said. POTW!

Bobby Thigpen
04-07-2003, 02:28 PM
I don't watch much CSI, which one is Bill Peterson?

jortafan
04-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
Our park, too, was one of the key sites in the Negro Leagues, and that history is important.

I don't know that's the case anymore. It's harder to scratch up the dough if you're on the lower end of the scale, as opposed to the old $2 general admission seat.

Just a personal observation, no hard-core data to back this up. But I think it's still the case.

I always manage to see a few black fans at Sox games. I never see them around Wrigley. And the mood some of those Wrigley people give off on the issue are part of the reason I prefer the Sox scene. (That and the fact that the Cubs on the playing field are a civic embarrassment to the people of Chicago)

Foulke You
04-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
Just a personal observation, no hard-core data to back this up. But I think it's still the case.

I always manage to see a few black fans at Sox games. I never see them around Wrigley. And the mood some of those Wrigley people give off on the issue are part of the reason I prefer the Sox scene. (That and the fact that the Cubs on the playing field are a civic embarrassment to the people of Chicago)

Another observation I've made at Comiskey in addition to more African Americans attending, is the large amount of Latino fans that come out to Sox games. On opening day this year, Latino Sox fans were well represented at the game, especially in my section and they are great fans who know the game. Having a lot of latino players on the team (i.e. Maggs, Lee, Alomar, Valentin) sparks more interest I'm sure but the environment on the North Side is less condusive to a fully racially integrated crowd. Overall, the Sox have a more racially integrated fanbase than the Cubs.

The few games I've been to at Wrigley is not diverse at all. It is 95% white suburbia, white north side yuppy, white fratboy, and white gay community. Most of which are more concerned with getting wasted at the game and where they are going to continue this process after the game.

LuvSox
04-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You

The few games I've been to at Wrigley is not diverse at all. It is 95% white suburbia, white north side yuppy, white fratboy, and white gay community.

One in the same

jortafan
04-07-2003, 06:34 PM
I stand corrected on my earlier point about never seeing black people near Wrigley.

I forgot about Ronnie "Woo Woo" Wickers, who I think is the token black allowed near the stadium so long as he does his silly little act.

By the way, did anyone see the way he got himself on Channels 5 and 32 during their mid-day newscasts? He literally walked into a Channel 5 reporter's live shot and started doing his routine. I wish the reporter had had the sense to knock him silly, instead of suddenly playing allong with all the woo woo's.

Lip Man 1
04-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Bill Petersen is the main character the guy who runs the CSI outfit.

He's from Chicago but actually played football out here at Idaho State University (scholarship).

After playing and leaving he worked his way down to Hollywood and got into acting.

Lip