PDA

View Full Version : Cry and Whine...

Fridaythe13thJason
04-03-2003, 10:39 PM
This place is out of hand. In my 2+ years of reading posts, I have seen some lows, but this is out of hand.

Does my stomach sink when we give up all those runs in the 8th today? Yes.

Do I want more than anything to have the team that comes out of the gates in a rush winning? Yes.

Everyone wants those things, thats why we're fans. To consider booing the team tomorrow, though, is insane. It's been 3 games. No one is trying to pretend that they're happy, but it is a little childish to be so upset about this that you think they can't recover and we should fire the manager.

Slow down, relax, and enjoy some baseball. Maybe if our fans are smart enough to cheer and support a team that we all love tomorrow, then maybe we can do just a little bit to help them get back on the right track.

I understand this whole insanity if we're 20 games into the season and we're 7-13. It's still a little premature, but I get it.

This isn't football folks. Have some faith in the team being good.

:chickenlittle

Stoky44
04-03-2003, 10:43 PM
AMEN!

jeremyb1
04-03-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by SoCalUIC
This place is out of hand. In my 2+ years of reading posts, I have seen some lows, but this is out of hand.

Do I want more than anything to have the team that comes out of the gates in a rush winning? Yes.

Everyone wants those things, thats why we're fans. To consider booing the team tomorrow, though, is insane. It's been 3 games. No one is trying to pretend that they're happy, but it is a little childish to be so upset about this that you think they can't recover and we should fire the manager.

Slow down, relax, and enjoy some baseball. Maybe if our fans are smart enough to cheer and support a team that we all love tomorrow, then maybe we can do just a little bit to help them get back on the right track.

I understand this whole insanity if we're 20 games into the season and we're 7-13. It's still a little premature, but I get it.

thank you for that. i wish more people could express those sentiments.

MHOUSE
04-03-2003, 10:51 PM
I agree. It's a long season. 159 to go.

Kilroy
04-03-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
thank you for that. i wish more people could express those sentiments.

Some of us have seen this around here so many times before that we just ignore it.

voodoochile
Originally posted by MHOUSE

1st post ever and you are an optimist. Welcome aboard! :)

Daver
Originally posted by MHOUSE

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Lip Man 1
04-03-2003, 11:48 PM
SoCal says: Have some faith in the team being good.

SoCal, I'm not ripping or making fun of you but in fairness a lot of us older fans have tried to keep the faith for forty plus years. At some point in time you get tired of "hoping and praying."

Other teams win, why can't the Sox?

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
04-03-2003, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

Lip [/B]

Bingo.

Let's face it, folks: the first few games of the year are incredibly high-visibility games. They often set the tone for the rest of the year. I look at these games as harbingers of what's to come, and so far, I ain't impressed, especially with a lot of our "big game" performers.

Great teams perform well under pressure. Thus far the 2003 Sox are turning out to be a bunch of marshmallows. They knew the Twins were rolling over the Tigers, yet they couldn't answer back. And, again, let's face it: it's not like they're playing the A's, Angels or Yankees here.

They aren't in deep sh*t yet, but a few more weeks of this crap and they will be. We've seen how poorly recent Sox teams have been at coming back while down.

IMO, 2 out of 3 from Day-twa is an imperative.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Again I refer back to Phil Rogers column on the Sox tendency to play better AFTER they are out of the race. Which is odd considering Jerry Manuel probably doesn't put any pressure on them to start with.

Lip

jeremyb1
04-04-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Bingo.

Let's face it, folks: the first few games of the year are incredibly high-visibility games. They often set the tone for the rest of the year. I look at these games as harbingers of what's to come, and so far, I ain't impressed, especially with a lot of our "big game" performers.

Great teams perform well under pressure. Thus far the 2003 Sox are turning out to be a bunch of marshmallows. They knew the Twins were rolling over the Tigers, yet they couldn't answer back. And, again, let's face it: it's not like they're playing the A's, Angels or Yankees here.

They aren't in deep sh*t yet, but a few more weeks of this crap and they will be. We've seen how poorly recent Sox teams have been at coming back while down.

IMO, 2 out of 3 from Day-twa is an imperative.

i don't know. the games are high visibility for the fans but i don't see how they have a huge effect on the players that are professionals and should be able to understand that the ramifications of the first three games just aren't that severe. try telling the angels last season, our club last season, or the a's in '01 about how much the first month let alone the first series sets the tone for the entire season.

Fridaythe13thJason
04-04-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
SoCal says: Have some faith in the team being good.

SoCal, I'm not ripping or making fun of you but in fairness a lot of us older fans have tried to keep the faith for forty plus years. At some point in time you get tired of "hoping and praying."

Lip

I understand the difficulty in being a long time fan, and all that, but what I don't understand is the fun in being so pessimistic. Either you look forward to successes, or what is the point. No team is bad forever, and thats what keeps fans going. If the Tigers were bad for 30 straight years, there would be no more fans, but just the hint that it could happen this year, keeps people coming back for more and hoping. Thats what the joy in sports is...not looking forward to the worst.

hsnterprize
04-04-2003, 07:10 AM

Personally, as much as I hate seeing an 0-3 record for my favorite baseball team, I know there's a TON of season left. Sure...it's a lot better seeing the Sox 3-0 rather than 0-3. I'm not going to skimp on or make excuses for the team. They clearly have the potential to play better. However, it's not the ed of the world. So let me suggest this...before we start to complain and gripe about the Sox's performance, think about this...it could be worse. Instead of us sitting either at home or at the ballpark yelling at our team, we could be in the Persian Gulf, or Iraq specifically, and risking our lives in war.

I know this team can and will improve. Obviously, their performance up to this point is totally unacceptible. However, today is a new day, and we have great things to look forward to. See you at the ballpark.

gosox41
04-04-2003, 09:20 AM

I agree with you about not panicking. Unfortunately this team has a history of digging itself a hole that it can't get out of. Something needs to be done to shake this team up if history has taught us anything about this team. The higher the expectations, the harder the disappointment.

1997: With the signing of Belle and Navarro everyone thought the Sox had the fire power to contend with Cleveland. Sure Ventura gets hurt, but that is hardly the reason the team started off 8-17. The division was for the taking that year because Cleveland was also crappy, but the Sox dug themselves such a hole they could never the ship righted.

1998-1999 rebuilding years with no expectations to compete for the playoffs.

2000- Sox run away with the division after expecting to be pretty average. Talk of how the young nucleus is going to flourish the next couple of years as the window of opportunity is officially opened.

2001-Just about all the hitters slump. Sox get off to 14-29 start and are out of it by May. Maybe not mathematically, but realistically.

2002-Sox start of great until Jerry overmanages the Yankee series where the Sox got swept. After that the team played like it had no heart which it didn't. They went from 28-21 to being about 7 games under at their worst point. This was basically a 14 game turnaround where they couldn't stop the bleeding. After duping some heartless veterans, the team made a run to finish .500 below this fans expectations. Here, they were out of the pennant race by mid-June, again nto mathmatically, but realistically.

2003-Sox get off to 0-3 start against a team that lost 100+ games last season and further cut payroll.

While it's too early to panic, has anyone here noticed a trend during the Jerry Manuel era. Teams that are expected to contend hit a rough patch (like every other team in baseball does) but somehow this team extends the slide and never digs it's way out of it.

Good teams keep the losing streaks to a minimum, though of course every team has them. If this team is for real, it's time to start doing that.

3 games in the season and the Sox are already 3 games behind the Twins. No more of last years logic where the Sox didn't play the Twins until June and the fans/media are talking about how the Sox may be 8 games out, but we still have 19 to play against the Twins. Ofc ourse the Sox went 8-11 against them and it didn't effect anything.

Bob

duke of dorwood
04-04-2003, 09:37 AM
What bothers me is not the 3 losses. Its the quality of play. These "high visibility" games have been pointed to all Spring-rotation and bullpen set up etc. And each game got sloppier with mistake after mistake. If we play today, the bullpen has been worked hard already.

hold2dibber
04-04-2003, 09:56 AM

(1) You're absolute right

(2) By definition, anyone who visits and posts on this site is extremely passionate about the White Sox (except for those few Twinkee fans who show up once and a while). Which, of course, means that people are going to get all riled up and emotional and post knee-jerk, pissed-off, irrational things when the Sox are in a rough patch, and are going to post knee-jerk, overly exhuberant (sp?), irrational things when the Sox are kicking ass. Just know that going in, and it won't bother you as much when you see those posts.

Now, with all that said, the first 3 games have been pretty disturbing just in that they seem to be symptomatic of this team over the last few years (poor fundamentals and poor performance when expectations are high). These are faults I lay at the door of the manager. Too early to panic, but JM is under the microscope, IMHO.

harwar
04-04-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
What bothers me is not the 3 losses. Its the quality of play. These "high visibility" games have been pointed to all Spring-rotation and bullpen set up etc. And each game got sloppier with mistake after mistake. If we play today, the bullpen has been worked hard already.

I'm really not sure who looked worse the players or the manager.I can't remember seeing a team have an absolute and total breakdown in every way possible to start the season and i've been watching baseball for over 35 years.Bad defense can be very contagious as we saw when one player after another stumbled and groped trying to make the most basic plays.Near the end of yesterdays game you could see fear and shock in some faces as even the players were surprised at what was happening.I wonder when was the last time Koch looked like an incompetent moron.From what i know about him it has to be a bitter pill indeed.J.M. also was panicking.Using every pitcher in the bullpen(do we need 3 catchers?)and pitch hitting wednesday like he was in the last game of the World Series.To those who say we shouldn't complain i say BALLS!If you lose because you were outplayed then so be it.If you lose because you weren't trying or your manager is incompetent than there is a reason to be upset.As for BOOING the White Sox,its ludicrous after 3 games.I'll be there today and i may have lost a step or two but woe to the guy who BOOS the White Sox near me.

Soxboyrob
04-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by harwar
As for BOOING the White Sox,its ludicrous after 3 games.I'll be there today and i may have lost a step or two but woe to the guy who BOOS the White Sox near me.

What about booing Jer Manuel? I'm stretching out my lungs right now for his delivery of the lineup card and first trip to the mound.

Dan H
04-04-2003, 11:00 AM
You can take any three game stretch during a long season like this and see it is not always an indication of how good or bad a team is. But the Sox have been playing bad defense and stupid baseball for years now. You just can't have talent; you have to know how to channel that talent. What good does it do to hit dramatic home runs and then blow it defensively or out of the pen?

It is too early to get really upset, but no one should expect us to be happy with this stuff. Too many years we have been told that that the Sox were great and ready to contend only for them to fall far short of expectations. Fans shouldn't be ready to boo yet; they should just hold their optimism until this team demonstrates that it can play like a real contender. Even the Cubs won two out of three on the road.