PDA

View Full Version : LEt's not panic.

lowesox
04-03-2003, 07:46 PM
Who cares about 3 games? This team is loaded with talent. Wouldn't you rather lose a couple games at the beginning of the season rather than the end? I'll bet that if we go say 5-2 in our next 7 games everybody will have forgotten this start. This is the real benefit of having guys like Buerle and Colon - after they lose they're even harder to beat.

The offence is sputtering, but I'm not that surprised. Let's all be realistic, this isn't going to be the most consistent line-up. But the pitching will lead the way - and I guarantee the WhiteSox finish April with a winning record.

Quote me on it if I'm wrong.

ScottyTheSoxFan
04-03-2003, 07:48 PM
well we just got swept by KC. if we cant beat kc, how are we gonna beat minnesota, or ny, or boston, or any good teams?

npdempse
04-03-2003, 07:49 PM
What's keeping me going right now is thinking about the '83 team:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1983_sched.shtml

Hmmm...

CHISOXFAN13
04-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Scotty,

The Yanks got swept by TB last year to start the season? How'd they fare against "good teams"/

Stop panicking people. Maybe KC is good. Freeking Ana won the WS last year. Anyone call that?

kermittheefrog
04-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
well we just got swept by KC. if we cant beat kc, how are we gonna beat minnesota, or ny, or boston, or any good teams?

Yeah you know how baseball is. Bad teams never have a few good games and beat good teams. Upsets are completely unheard of.

Hangar18
04-03-2003, 09:22 PM
OK, Im going to try and relax. yeah, i remember 83, how poorly they looked in april/may. hopefully, they realize what a bunch of chumps they looked like and let a team like KC outplay them. Heres to Tomorrow, we start over 0-0. F***in sox. Looking piss-poor like this only Reflects on Jerry Manuel. Jerry....let the countdown begin

HawkDJ
04-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by npdempse
What's keeping me going right now is thinking about the '83 team:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1983_sched.shtml

Hmmm...

Interesting...and the team we got swept by to open 1983 had a 64-98 record the year before. The Royals had a 62-100 record last season. Oh and didn't we host the All-Star Game in 1983 too? Hmm....

BTW the Yankees didn't start off 0-3 last season...I don't know why people keep saying that.

Lip Man 1
04-03-2003, 10:16 PM
This will surprise my critics but I'm not panicking.

However the problems the Sox have shown these last three games continue to be the same ones they've shown the past two seasons. Those campaigns didn't exactly turn out very well.

I just think this team has been built the wrong way, probably because it's cheaper to sign or develop hitters then go after quality pitchers.

We'll see how it all shakes out.

Lip

GASHWOUND
04-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Who cares about 3 games? This team is loaded with talent. Wouldn't you rather lose a couple games at the beginning of the season rather than the end? I'll bet that if we go say 5-2 in our next 7 games everybody will have forgotten this start. This is the real benefit of having guys like Buerle and Colon - after they lose they're even harder to beat.

The offence is sputtering, but I'm not that surprised. Let's all be realistic, this isn't going to be the most consistent line-up. But the pitching will lead the way - and I guarantee the WhiteSox finish April with a winning record.

Quote me on it if I'm wrong.

You're right, but what's that old saying..You can't win the division in the first half of the season, but you sure can lose it(OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.lol)

pudge
04-04-2003, 01:21 AM
The thing is, it's not panic, I'm just so freakin' sick of watching a team underachieve. It's been happening since '95 (with the exception of the 2000 regular season) and I'm tired of watching a team play bad fundamental baseball.

Oh, so we'll have a winning record in April with 19 games against the Tigers, Royals and Indians?? Whoope. We need much more than a winning record. We need about 15-16 wins, and then we need to be consistent after April is over. How are we going to be consistent when we make bad plays in the field and on the bases? I have zero hope for this season. I wish the Sox will prove me wrong.

pudge
04-04-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by pudge
The thing is, it's not panic, I'm just so freakin' sick of watching a team underachieve. It's been happening since '95 (with the exception of the 2000 regular season) and I'm tired of watching a team play bad fundamental baseball.

Oh, so we'll have a winning record in April with 19 games against the Tigers, Royals and Indians?? Whoope. We need much more than a winning record. We need about 15-16 wins, and then we need to be consistent after April is over. How are we going to be consistent when we make bad plays in the field and on the bases? I just want to see some GOOD, CONSISTENT baseball - is that too much to ask?

czalgosz
04-04-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by pudge

Oh, so we'll have a winning record in April with 19 games against the Tigers, Royals and Indians?? Whoope. We need much more than a winning record. We need about 15-16 wins, and then we need to be consistent after April is over. How are we going to be consistent when we make bad plays in the field and on the bases? I have zero hope for this season. I wish the Sox will prove me wrong.

It's a bit too early to start talking about what the team needs to do. If the Sox bullpen stays as combustible as it was in KC for very long, then the Sox are in trouble. For now, I'm willing to chalk it up to a bad outing, and move on.

TheBigHurt
04-04-2003, 04:53 PM
PUDGE, solid sig