PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Still A Sox Fan?


Shoeless Joe
04-03-2003, 06:09 PM
The start of the season obviously looks a little bleak right now but if there's one thing to look forward to is that this team will not be as bad as they have looked the last couple of games. Of course the pessimists and the optimists are out in full force now but time will heal the wounds quickly. IMO the Sox still have a good chance at having a winning record this month if they can just put it together this series against the Tigers. I'll be cheering for my beloved Sox at the Cell tomorrow because to start thinking the season is over after three games is ridiculous. Let them stink for a week before you judge them at least! So if there are any true Sox fans out there please support the team because these three losses shouldn't deter your support.

Daver
04-03-2003, 06:16 PM
IIRC the Yankees dropped three straight to the Tampa Bay Devil Dogs to start out last season.

And we have Sox fans bailing on the season after three games.


Actually I should call them Fairweather Fans,no real Sox fan gives up after three games.

DrCrawdad
04-03-2003, 06:29 PM
Getting Swept by the Royals + Lousy Weather = No sell-out for the home opener.

IF the Sox come out and roll the Tigers you can bet that it not being a sell-out will be the focus of the stories.

hose
04-03-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Shoeless Joe
The start of the season obviously looks a little bleak right now but if there's one thing to look forward to is that this team will not be as bad as they have looked the last couple of games. Of course the pessimists and the optimists are out in full force now but time will heal the wounds quickly. IMO the Sox still have a good chance at having a winning record this month if they can just put it together this series against the Tigers. I'll be cheering for my beloved Sox at the Cell tomorrow because to start thinking the season is over after three games is ridiculous. Let them stink for a week before you judge them at least! So if there are any true Sox fans out there please support the team because these three losses shouldn't deter your support.


Last year Cleveland started off 11-1 and then tailed off.

I am a bit disappointed in the way the Sox played , but hopefully they can put this series behind them and start playing winning baseball.

KC scored all their runs today with 2 outs. Tip your hats to the Royals batters for clutch hitting.

Jjav829
04-03-2003, 06:54 PM
I'm still a die hard Sox fan and proud of it. Just a very pissed off Sox fan right now. :angry:

Procol Harum
04-03-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by daver
IIRC the Yankees dropped three straight to the Tampa Bay Devil Dogs to start out last season.

And we have Sox fans bailing on the season after three games.


Actually I should call them Fairweather Fans,no real Sox fan gives up after three games.

No relationship at all. What the Yankees do or have done has no relation to anything the White Sox will do. Our guys live with their own history--embarrassment in the 2000 playoffs and two successive seasons of falling well below expectations due to bad defense, a stuttering offense and big question marks in the pitching staff. To compare our current situation with what another team (which had won 4 world championships and been to the Series 5 times in the prior 7 seasons) did last year is the ultimate case of sports psychology apples and oranges.

I hope our men come roaring back this weekend and make us forget this as a bad dream on what turns out to be a very successful season. But given our problems of the last two years and the question marks we brought into this season (Garland, Wright, how Koch and Gordon would fare, our problematic catching situation and our lack of team defense and speed) don't blame the faithful for being disappointed by being swept in an opening series against an opponent that was a consensus contender for last place in this division. Only Cub fans would be whistling a happy tune under these circumstances.

Daver
04-03-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Only Cub fans would be whistling a happy tune under these circumstances.

I am not whistling a happy tune,all I am saying is that I refuse to write off the season because they lost the first three games to a team they should beat easily,which is why I brought up the Yankees/Devil Dogs comparison,does anyone think that the Yankees or their fans gave up on them last season?

If you are going to start placing blame and calling the season lost after three games,then I question if you are a true fan of the team or a fairweather fan,that is only going to support the team when they are winning.

Procol Harum
04-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by daver
I am not whistling a happy tune,all I am saying is that I refuse to write off the season because they lost the first three games to a team they should beat easily,which is why I brought up the Yankees/Devil Dogs comparison,does anyone think that the Yankees or their fans gave up on them last season?

If you are going to start placing blame and calling the season lost after three games,then I question if you are a true fan of the team or a fairweather fan,that is only going to support the team when they are winning.

I don't think anybody really wants to dump the Sox--they're all--moi included--really, really frustrated. And it's not like there's no continuity goin' on here--this is the same sort of act we've seen the last two years. And for us old geezers like ourselves--a lot like the overall crap we've been putting up with for decades.

As to folks being true Sox fans--if everybody on this board only rooted for the Sox when they were a winning team--well, this would be a pretty thin crowd. As I recall the last World Championship around these parts was 1917. This ain't exactly the Bronx Bombers we've latched our emotions and loyalties to.

Like I said. Here's hopin' they snap out of it and redeem themselves this weekend.

HawkDJ
04-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Most of the people who are "giving up" are actually just frustrated and angry diehards. We all know how it feels. I don't understand the need to say they aren't real Sox fans. They are here because they are real Sox fans. They will watch the game tomorrow no matter what they say out of frustration. I'm frustrated and it FEELS like the season is over but I know it is not and that doesn't make me any less of a fan.

Also Daver----the Yankees started last season off 8-1.

Daver
04-03-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Most of the people who are "giving up" are actually just frustrated and angry diehards.

Also Daver----the Yankees started last season off 8-1.

I understand that,I just don't understand the need to post something about packing it in because the season is over after three games,I am as frustrated as anyone else,but this is going to far.

And I did say IIRC,It may have been the year before.

:)

HawkDJ
04-03-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by daver

And I did say IIRC,It may have been the year before.

:)

Nope wasn't 2001 either. :)