PDA

View Full Version : Worst Opening Day memories?

pudge
04-03-2003, 05:21 PM
1997 for me, I was so pumped for the "Albert Belle" era, only to watch us play terribly against the Tigers in the Home Opener.

Hmm.. this year is starting to shape up so similarly.... Why do I have a feeling Colon won't be in a Sox uni come July??

As a final note, I am so sorry for all of you going to tomorrow's opener - bring lots of beer, you'll need it...

LuvSox
04-03-2003, 05:31 PM
The opening of the new park was "lackluster" :D:

FJA
04-03-2003, 05:33 PM
Considering this series as a whole, this year is up there.

cheeses_h_rice
04-03-2003, 05:36 PM
This year definitely ranks up there.

For home openers, I'd go with 2001's, when Osuna made his debut by giving up a grand slam to Tony Clark on the Tiggers, and the Sox ended up losing big. Plus the weather was in the upper 30s, IIRC.

LauraJ14
04-03-2003, 05:41 PM
Opening day 1991, Jack McDowell and the Sox shutout by the Detroit Tigers. Bad!!!

Foulke You
04-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by LauraJ14
Opening day 1991, Jack McDowell and the Sox shutout by the Detroit Tigers. Bad!!!

Lost 16-0 if I remember correctly in 1991 and 10-9 after leading 9-3 in 2001, both to the Tigers. Let's hope there isn't a pattern there with Opening Day and the Tigers.

LuvSox
04-03-2003, 07:13 PM

Yes, this was the day the new park opened, like I mentioned earlier.

1951Campbell
04-03-2003, 07:31 PM
1991. Hands down. But it was the first time I saw a 10-run inning.

Daver
04-03-2003, 08:56 PM

You think it was bad? I was at Comiskey Park for 22 hours straight by the time that game was over.

Stoky44
04-03-2003, 10:10 PM
DID ANYBODY SAY 1991???
lol

Viva Magglio
04-03-2003, 10:12 PM
How about the 1999 home opener against Kansas City. Remember the one play where Mike Sirotka made THREE errors???

Fisk72
04-04-2003, 12:25 AM
I remember my dad making it a tradition of going to old Comiskey for opening day with me and my older sis (both of us in grade school at the time) and sitting in the bleachers behind the bullpens. This was during the Fregosi years when the crowds were pretty sparce. Anywho, I remember one particular year (sorry but can't recall the season) where I got this horrible 7up from the hotdog stand underneath the scoreboard. I don't know if it was at the end of the tank or what but it was so bad that I'm still pissed off about it today. Also, there were these drunk guys that spilled beer all over my sister and it was during the early part of the game. I still give her a lot of credit because she was a trooper and stuck it out the whole game and the L ride back out to the 'burbs.

voodoochile
04-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by LuvSox
The opening of the new park was "lackluster" :D:

I am sooooo glad I didn't pay a seat broker $300 a seat to go to that game...

:)

LuvSox
04-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I am sooooo glad I didn't pay a seat broker $300 a seat to go to that game...

:)

Yeah, no kidding. Hindsight being 20/20, most people could've waited a few days to see the new park.

Huisj
04-04-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
This year definitely ranks up there.

For home openers, I'd go with 2001's, when Osuna made his debut by giving up a grand slam to Tony Clark on the Tiggers, and the Sox ended up losing big. Plus the weather was in the upper 30s, IIRC.

Yeah, the 2001 game was probably the worst i've seen. osuna got bood off the field, and then i think foulke also blew the game later again after the sox tied it up (what, foulke blowing a tie game?? unheard of!!) i think he hit a guy, threw a wild pitch, and then gave up a hit and there went the lead.

'89 sucked, i just remember steve lyons catching a pop up and then not throwing the ball back in while someone tagged up and score (i think it was luis polonia with hair halfway down his back)
and they lost to oakland. it was a rainy cruddy day, and there was a power outage for a couple innings during the game.

ChiSoxFann
04-04-2003, 12:35 PM
2001 the weathe was so bad it was cold windy and compleatly misreable in the upper deck no to mention that poor play on the feild

DrCrawdad
04-04-2003, 01:10 PM
Can't remember the exact year...It was 1979-1983, a night time home opener.

My friends and I were in the right-field upper deck, right. That night, much like today, was rain, rain and more rain. We were seated right at the spot in the old upper deck seats that bordered between covered and uncovered. So we got soaked.

The Sox ground crew pulled the tarp a few times but in the end the game was cancelled.

My favorite home opener was (again I can't remember the exact year) Bill Veeck had the bright idea to give the fans styrofoam baseballs to have the fans throw out the first pitch. Many fans threw the styrofoam balls on the field when prompted and the ground crew used a mower to pick them up. However many fans kept the foam balls and threw them on the field at various times during the game. Of course as a teen-ager I never would have engaged in such behaviour.

My brothers, friends and I went around after the game and collected whatever styrofoam balls we could find. We used them for tossing at each other for a long time after that home opener.

A bad idea of Bill Veeck.

Dan H
04-04-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
How about the 1999 home opener against Kansas City. Remember the one play where Mike Sirotka made THREE errors???

Sirotka wasn't the only one who made errors that day. Greg Norton didn't make any errors that day, but he looked totally clueless at third. Anything hit an inch to his left or right was into left field. He double clutched on all his throws even when he had a short throw to second for a force. Not only was it one of the coldest games I ever attended, only a little over 26,000 showed during the high point of fan alienation. Things looked totally bleak. As bad as 1991 and 2001 was, 1999 ranks right up there with them and the 1970 12-0 disaster and the 1968 9-0 whitewash. Then there was the 1974 8-2 loss to the Angels when a streaker ran onto the field and fans were throwing things at players in the bullpen. Ah, the memories.

TheBigHurt
04-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by FJA
Considering this series as a whole, this year is up there.

AGREED

kingpin_rcs
04-04-2003, 09:23 PM
I think the year was 1989 or 88 and the Sox opened the season at home. They has an advertising campaign that year that said something like "Come to Comiskey where the Sox will Beat the A's". Of course they lost. During the game there was a fire at a nearby tire factory or something and the sky was black. Horrible.

Lip Man 1
04-04-2003, 09:29 PM
Opening day 1970. I was a soph at Brother Rice and caught some of the early part of the game on the radio. I wasn't able to listen again until I was at my locker towards the end of the day. I snapped the radio on and heard Bob Elson say the Sox were losing 12-0. I promptly threw the radio right in a hall trash can and went home. The start of a dismal, painful season.

Lip

Daver
04-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Opening day 1970. I was a soph at Brother Rice and caught some of the early part of the game on the radio. I wasn't able to listen again until I was at my locker towards the end of the day. I snapped the radio on and heard Bob Elson say the Sox were losing 12-0. I promptly threw the radio right in a hall trash can and went home. The start of a dismal, painful season.

Lip

It's a small world Mark,I have done a lot of work at Brother Rice,no one knows the tunnels there better than me.

Huisj
04-05-2003, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by kingpin_rcs
I think the year was 1989 or 88 and the Sox opened the season at home. They has an advertising campaign that year that said something like "Come to Comiskey where the Sox will Beat the A's". Of course they lost. During the game there was a fire at a nearby tire factory or something and the sky was black. Horrible.

it was 89, i was at that game too. the fire caused the power outage at the stadium too if i recall correctly. weird game. only cool thing really was i think baines drove in a run and the calendars they gave away had drawings of the new park on them (i don't have it with my right now, but if i recall correctly, the seats in the drawings were green . . . hmmm)