PDA

View Full Version : Can We ever Open AT HOME?

ramblermgr9599
04-03-2003, 08:46 AM
I always get so excited about Opening Day, but by the time the home opener comes along it is not the same. I wish at least every other year the Sox would open at home. They should rotate with the Cubs so that Chicago has a true opening day each year. I think that Jerry thinks that if we open on the road when we come home it will be warmer and we will sell more tickets. This is not always true because the average high temp. is likely only 1 degree higher. Moreover, look at this week, it hit the 70's early in the week and only the upper 40's for Friday.

Also its not fair, Jerry should be forced to open at home once in a while. I bet I am not alone in this especially since the Sox can come home 0-3. A true opener at home would be way more exciting.

The last true opening day was 1990!!! COME ON! Give Sox fans the feeling of a real opening day.

ALSO think of the pitching matchups. We could see our #1 starter and a game against another teams #1

hsnterprize
04-03-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by ramblermgr9599
I always get so excited about Opening Day, but by the time the home opener comes along it is not the same. I wish at least every other year the Sox would open at home. They should rotate with the Cubs so that Chicago has a true opening day each year. I think that Jerry thinks that if we open on the road when we come home it will be warmer and we will sell more tickets. This is not always true because the average high temp. is likely only 1 degree higher. Moreover, look at this week, it hit the 70's early in the week and only the upper 40's for Friday.

Also its not fair, Jerry should be forced to open at home once in a while. I bet I am not alone in this especially since the Sox can come home 0-3. A true opener at home would be way more exciting.

The last true opening day was 1990!!! COME ON! Give Sox fans the feeling of a real opening day.

First of all...welcome to the jungle we know as White Sox Interactive. We'll be issuing you the standard vines to swing from your ceiling after your initial 90-day probationary period. Once you make it through that time, you'll be evaluated by a senior member of our staff. If/when you pass the evaluation, you'll then be free to "lay the smack down" on anything Cub-related (or Sox-related) that just burns you up. However, WSI, its fellow posters, or anyone with any bit of sense will not be held liable nor responsible for any damage you cause because you're upset over a bad managerial decision, hitters that can't bring in runs, or B.S. comments by Sox management.

On a more serious note, I agree with you that the Sox should open their season at home. I think they're on the road so much in April because of the weather. I know a couple of years ago, there was the "Opening Night" game. That was a great idea...whatever happened to that?

Once again, welcome to WSI, and don't burn your hands too much from swinging on those vines.

baggio202
04-03-2003, 10:09 AM
i read somewhere where the sox request to open on the road every year because of the weather in early april..problem is its so unpredictable there is no gaurentee it wont be colder on the 7th then the 1st....if we opened at home this year we would have had 3 nice days...tomorrow we wil be lucky to break 50 degrees

dllrbll7
04-03-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize

On a more serious note, I agree with you that the Sox should open their season at home. I think they're on the road so much in April because of the weather. I know a couple of years ago, there was the "Opening Night" game. That was a great idea...whatever happened to that?

Once again, welcome to WSI, and don't burn your hands too much from swinging on those vines.

THe opening night i believe was in 2000. However it wasnt the opening of the season and i do agree it was a great time. I believe they had fireworks after the game also. I had posted somewhere else asking why we havent done that again but didnt get much of a response. It was a perfect time to because everyone could come out to the ballpark tailgating because they were off of work.

voodoochile
04-03-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by ramblermgr9599

ALSO think of the pitching matchups. We could see our #1 starter and a game against another teams #1

Welcome Aboard! :)

Lip Man 1
04-03-2003, 12:40 PM
It is a fact that Jerry Reinsdorf has specifically asked MLB not to have the Sox open the season at home. Weather and poor attendance after the first game are his reasons.

Lip

voodoochile
04-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It is a fact that Jerry Reinsdorf has specifically asked MLB not to have the Sox open the season at home. Weather and poor attendance after the first game are his reasons.

Lip

Yeah and it would really suck to open every year at home with an exhausted team from all the barnstorming at the end of the pre-season...

:reinsy
"If you wretched serfs... er... fans would just come to U.S. Cellular Field more often, I wouldn't have to run the team ragged in meaningless games just to ensure I make my minimum profit expectations."

ramblermgr9599
04-03-2003, 03:52 PM
why does Jerry get to make that request to MLB???
There are a lot of other cities that have colder weather than we do in April.

Why does Jerry get special treatment?

Home openers are just no where near as fun. Open at home then go on the road for 2 weeks!