PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of Murph & Fred...

Viva Magglio
04-03-2003, 07:12 AM
...is that Manuel is on the "greasy skids." They played a cut of Hawk & DJ questioning the bunt on the 2-0 count and used this to base the greasy skids idea. I disagree; I don't think that Manuel is in danger at all...yet.

Mammoo
04-03-2003, 07:57 AM
I agree with the caller who said we should know by the end of April if JM deserves to keep his job!

If the Sox are below .500, he should be launched, but good!!!

34 Inch Stick
04-03-2003, 09:06 AM
He's been on the skids since the firing of Nardi and the hitting coach last year. They don't seem too greasy though because he is still here.

If they are playing dead he will be fired just before the Minnesota series.

Lip Man 1
04-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Greg Couch in the Sun Times today had a column on just this topic. (i.e. regarding Manuel, how long he gets and how many games justify either a fast or poor start.)

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
04-03-2003, 11:47 AM
I have a question...has any team every advanced to the playoffs in the same year their manager was fired? I can't think of any.

harwar
04-03-2003, 11:59 AM
All i know is that J.R. really likes Manuel( at least he used to),so that bods il for us if we keep losing.Also,i don't put any credence into anything from the "Murph & Fred show"

Paulwny
04-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Greg Couch in the Sun Times today had a column on just this topic. (i.e. regarding Manuel, how long he gets and how many games justify either a fast or poor start.)

Lip

From an article in MSNBC :
JERRY MANUEL, WHITE SOX
The Sox expect to contend after adding Bartolo Colon and upgrading their bullpen, and Manuel could be held accountable if they flop. Owner Jerry Reinsdorf, however, will be reluctant to fire a manager who is signed through 04.
The curse will strike: Only if the Sox collapse due to their shaky defense, questionable chemistry and unproven rotation beyond Colon and Mark Buehrle.
Likely replacement: Class AA manager Wally Backman, who led Birmingham to the Southern League title last season.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/893986.asp

Paulwny
04-03-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I have a question...has any team every advanced to the playoffs in the same year their manager was fired? I can't think of any.

The damn yankmees of course, from The Baseball Library:

. In 1981, when the player strike split the season into two parts, Gene Michael managed the Yankees to a first-half division lead, but when the team faltered in the second half after the strike, Lemon returned as manager. He took the Yankees to victory in the divisional playoff between the Yankees and second-half winner Milwaukee and then a three-game sweep of Oakland in the LCS. The Yankees lost the World Series to the Dodgers in six games.

TornLabrum
04-03-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
The damn yankmees of course, from The Baseball Library:

. In 1981, when the player strike split the season into two parts, Gene Michael managed the Yankees to a first-half division lead, but when the team faltered in the second half after the strike, Lemon returned as manager. He took the Yankees to victory in the divisional playoff between the Yankees and second-half winner Milwaukee and then a three-game sweep of Oakland in the LCS. The Yankees lost the World Series to the Dodgers in six games.

It also happened with the Cubs...TWICE. In 1932, Rogers Hornsby was fired after going 53-44, and was replaced by Charlie Grimm who led them to a 37-20 finish and a world Series appearance where Babe Ruth got to call his shot. Then in 1938, before the homer in the gloamin', Grimm was fired after the Cubs started at 45-36 and was replaced by Gabby Hartnet, under whom they were 44-27.

Paulwny
04-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
It also happened with the Cubs...TWICE. In 1932, Rogers Hornsby was fired after going 53-44, and was replaced by Charlie Grimm who led them to a 37-20 finish and a world Series appearance where Babe Ruth got to call his shot. Then in 1938, before the homer in the gloamin', Grimm was fired after the Cubs started at 45-36 and was replaced by Gabby Hartnet, under whom they were 44-27.

Nice find TL,I thought of the Martin/Lemon/ King George fiascos and looked up the data.

MisterB
04-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

In '89 the Blue Jays started off 12-24, replaced Jimy Williams with Cito Gaston and won the division by 2 games over the BoSox.

The Red Sox in '88 were 1 game over .500 around the All-Star break when they canned John McNamara and replaced him with Joe Morgan. The rest of the way they played 15 games over and won the division.

The '83 Phillies were about the same as the '88 Red Sox: 1 over at midseason, change managers, go 17 over the rest of the way and win the division.

If the talent is already on the team, a mid-season switch can work....