PDA

View Full Version : can someone tell me exactly what the "home run porch" is gonna be in right field.

ShoelessFred
04-03-2003, 12:54 AM
i keep hearing about this and i guess it's pretty much confirmed that it's gonna happen. but what exactly is it? does it mean bringing in the fences even more and expanding the bullpen bar or what? thanks

dllrbll7
04-03-2003, 01:04 AM
Heres the pics that were posted before from the HKS site. It should give you a better idea.

dllrbll7
04-03-2003, 01:04 AM
Pic 2

dllrbll7
04-03-2003, 01:05 AM
Pic 3

ShoelessFred
04-03-2003, 01:21 AM
thanks! if they can pull that off it would be pretty cool. the only problem i have is, WHY GO THROUGH ALL THE TROUBLE AND MONEY IF NO ONE IS GONNA SHOW UP!?! the team is doing what they can to improve the ballpark and it is looking pretty good. now it's time for the fans to come out to the ballpark NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!

CHISOXFAN13
04-03-2003, 01:23 AM
I for one am not worried about the damn ballpark. I'm worried about the 0-2 start. If the Sox continue to struggle, we could have Pac Bell or Camden Yards and it wouldn't matter.

ShoelessFred
04-03-2003, 01:28 AM
am i worried about the start? no. am i worried about our 2 "aces" losing to 2 no names? no. what i am worried about is the fact that jerry manuel is the one making decision on this team. NOW THAT IS SCARY...

ihatethecubs
04-03-2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by ShoelessFred
thanks! if they can pull that off it would be pretty cool. the only problem i have is, WHY GO THROUGH ALL THE TROUBLE AND MONEY IF NO ONE IS GONNA SHOW UP!?! the team is doing what they can to improve the ballpark and it is looking pretty good. now it's time for the fans to come out to the ballpark NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!

dont tell that to the people on this board. everyone here goes to games and if they dont, its probably because they live in another state.

ShoelessFred
04-03-2003, 06:07 AM
my comments are for those jerk wads that constantly complain and give us real sox fans a bad name. i hate them ALMOST as much as i hate the cubs and their fans.

steff
04-03-2003, 08:15 AM
my comments are for those jerk wads that constantly complain and give us real sox fans a bad name. i hate them ALMOST as much as i hate the cubs and their fans.

Well then.. you are posting those comments in the wrong place. Personally.. after 30 years.. I worry about myself and the games I attend and the support I give to this team. Worrying about what everyone else is doing is simply too exhausing.

Jjav829
04-03-2003, 08:34 AM

Whoa there. I'll tell you this now because a mod will probably be removing your sig shortly. Your sig is WAY too big. There is a limit of 15k. Yours is 95k!

LuvSox
04-03-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
I worry about myself and the games I attend and the support I give to this team.

I am worrying about this damn page ever loading up. That guys sig pic is way too big.

hsnterprize
04-03-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by steff3603
Well then.. you are posting those comments in the wrong place. Personally.. after 30 years.. I worry about myself and the games I attend and the support I give to this team. Worrying about what everyone else is doing is simply too exhausing.

I'll tell ya something, Steff...I've dome my share of complaining about the ballpark, and that's why I'm VERY excited about the renovations and such. Every season that starts is another piece in what I see as a puzzle to make U.S. Cellular Field a place where people want to make the effort to go to. Now, we ultimately go to the ballpark because we love our team. There's no denying that. However, it did bother me when there was constant criticism about the place, and people used that as an excuse not to show up.

I personally was mad and jealous beyond belief back in 1992 when Oriole Park at Camden Yards opened up. I was stationed in Korea at the time, and I remember there was some hoopla when new Comiskey opened. However, when Oriole Park popped up, there was such a fervor over the "retro" look of the place that new Comiskey virtually disappeared. We know that just about every new ballpark since then is an Oriole Park wannabe. Hopefully, that trend is in its waning moments.

I do understand that no matter how the ballpark looks, with all the retro looks mixed in with the bells and whistles of modern stadia, that a winning team will draw fans. Why do you think so many Flub fans are against renovating Wrigley Field? Simple...because unless a person is a serious Cub fan, there's no incentive in going to Wrigley other than the "ambience" of the place and the surrounding neighborhood, with all the bars and other "touristy" attractions.

If anything, as much as I feel a winning team will ultimately give the Sox and us Sox fans the respect that's due, I do hope when all the renovations are finished, that people will actually like going to the place. I'm not talking about the fans like us, but the casual fan who's unsure about the Sox. We already know there are people waiting in line to run up to Wrigley for no good reason, and I'm not saying I want fans like that at the "Cell". However, if more people have a reason like an attractive ballpark to come to 35th and Shields, than that's fine. Hopefully, the casual fan who isn't totally committed to one team or another will be interested in why we Sox fans are as passionate as we are, and that person may end up writing on this site as we are.

GoSox2K3
04-03-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by dllrbll7
Heres the pics that were posted before from the HKS site. It should give you a better idea.

Wow!! Those are great pictures! That HR Porch looks great.

Interesting that the picture of the outside of the park shows steps? leading up to the stadium. I wonder if that'll be a new entrance.

The pictures didn't really seem to show any changes to the upper deck. I had heard that their plan was to remove a bunch of rows at the top and build a roof over the remaining seats.

GoSox2K3
04-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Whoa there. I'll tell you this now because a mod will probably be removing your sig shortly. Your sig is WAY too big. There is a limit of 15k. Yours is 95k!

Here's a smaller version of that Cubs Suck headline if anyone wants to use it..... but the quality gets pretty crappy when I shrink it down to 15k.

hsnterprize
04-03-2003, 10:35 AM
You know what, GoSox2K3, your smaller version of that picture is still pretty nice. You can still make out the "headline" on the page. He can write some text setting up the joke in his signature. Leno pretty much "hit the nail on the head".

maurice
04-03-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by GoSox2K3
Interesting that the picture of the outside of the park shows steps? leading up to the stadium. I wonder if that'll be a new entrance.

You'll notice that most contemporary public buildings have few or no steps on the outside, in sharp contrast to Neo-Classical buildings. Credit the Americans with Disabilities Act. Probably keeps the number of slip-and-fall lawsuits down a bit also.