PDA

View Full Version : My Stand on Manuel

Viva Magglio
04-02-2003, 08:19 PM
I cannot call for Jerry Manuel's head after two losses in as many games. That, in and of itself, would be ridiculous. As Dave Wills said, it's too early to push the panic button. There are 160 games remaining. Having said that, I think that if we get off a bad start like we did last season and the season before, Jerry Manuel could very well be the biggest reason why.

The White Sox did not look the least bit motivated in either of these two games. Sure, the fatigue generated by the dumb trip to Birmingham may have been a factor in Monday's game. However, they had a whole day of rest before today's game. As was often the case last year, the looked like they were just going through the motions. I think Manuel's Gandhi-like, low key approach is detrimental to the chemistry of the team.

It's the manager's job to motivate the team. Kenny Williams should not have to overturn buffet tables to motivate them. Jerry Reinsdorf should not have to scold the team to motivate them. That is Manuel's job, and he is not doing it. I am beginning to wonder of Manuel even cares. It was revealed Monday that he is building an offseason home in California - after suggesting to Dusty Baker that Chicago managers should spend the offseason in Chicago. He also insinuated that if the Sox manage to win it all, he may retire. In any case, Manuel could be of the belief that he will not be the manager after the season no matter what happens. Hence, with that possible fate in mind, could he really care less?

As I said at the top of this post, I cannot call for Jerry Manuel's ouster after two games. Therefore, I have decided that Manuel should be fired if the White Sox end April below the .500-mark. If losses similar to today's continue to mount, however, I may call for Manuel's head sooner.

SoxxoS
04-02-2003, 08:20 PM
I will sign that petition...

jeremyb1
04-02-2003, 08:23 PM
i don't disagree with most of what you're saying but i have trouble understanding some of the criticisms about the team appearing lethargic. i didn't get a chance to watch the game today since it wasn't on wgn but i listened to it and at least we scored some runs today. is lethargic just another way of saying we weren't too active on offense or what? i just don't understand how easily one can determine the clubs attitude during the game. if we'd scored ten runs with the exact same mannerisms i somehow doubt anyone would call our play lethargic.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Manuel's job will definitely be on the line if the Sox are still struggling after May 1. He was fortunate that Ken Williams did not fire him after the Thomas-Konerko debacle during the All Star Break. He was also fortunate that Williams did not fire him after he admitted that he "likes to tinker."

Many of the Sox current problems can be blamed on Manuel. He has made several poor decisions during the first two games of the season, and he will probably make several more. I still don't know why Graffanino was told to bunt with a 3-1 count. That mistake was as bad if not worse than the situation involving Carlos Lee getting picked off third base last year.

Viva Magglio
04-02-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I still don't know why Graffanino was told to bunt with a 3-1 count.

Or, for that matter, a 3-2 count!!!!

jeremyb1
04-02-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Manuel's job will definitely be on the line if the Sox are still struggling after May 1. He was fortunate that Ken Williams did not fire him after the Thomas-Konerko debacle during the All Star Break. He was also fortunate that Williams did not fire him after he admitted that he "likes to tinker."

Many of the Sox current problems can be blamed on Manuel. He has made several poor decisions during the first two games of the season, and he will probably make several more. I still don't know why Graffanino was told to bunt with a 3-1 count. That mistake was as bad if not worse than the situation involving Carlos Lee getting picked off third base last year.

i think its riduculous to blame that much on manuel. people place way too much blame on managers and probably also give them too much credit. we scored zero runs against kc on monday!! maggs, paully, and carlos have combined for two hits!! how is this manuel's fault? its unreasonable to have our offense stifled by kc and then blame manuel because maybe better managing could've yielded an extra run at some point. it makes no sense to blame the manager because you think he lost a close game that never should've been close in the first place.

ssang
04-02-2003, 08:47 PM
Manuel just doesn't know how to manage. His motivational tactics are whack and his in-game decisions are poor at best. He screws up the basics more than any manager I've ever seen. I would give anything to have a manager like Sweet Lou Pinella on the south side. Now that guy can motivate like none-other. I think Tampa Bay has already shown more attitude this year after 2 games than in their previous 4 years of existence combined!

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2003, 08:50 PM
I gave up on Manuel last July, same as the entire team. If he got fired last August it wouldn't have been too soon for me.

The last two losses have little to do with it. As a new manager in 1998, Manuel was an improvement over Terry Bevington. His young team in '99 was lost for six weeks in July/August, but everything worked out fine in '00. Ever since then (including the ALDS), the Tinkerer has been an unmitigated disaster.

You would have to be suffering from myopia to think the Sox' managerial problems started Tuesday afternoon.

Daver
04-02-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
As a new manager in 1998, Manuel was an improvement over Terry Bevington.

:chopper

I would be an improvement over Terry"Big Red Clown Shoes"Beavington.

TheBigHurt
04-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Or, for that matter, a 3-2 count!!!!

2-0??????????? :)

JK thats allowed.....

BE GOOD tinker-roo