PDA

View Full Version : Starting to question Manual...

Randar68
04-02-2003, 04:31 PM
Bring Rick White in at a point where the game is tied? Was Manual asleep for Spring Training???

Keep Graffy in against a righty with Manos on the bench and a better bunter???

One after another, I am really starting to question this guy's managerial skills!

Soxboyrob
04-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Bring Rick White in at a point where the game is tied? Was Manual asleep for Spring Training???

One after another, I am really starting to question this guy's managerial skills!

It's taken you this long? I just can't figure having Graffy bunt w/ a 3 - 2 count against a guy throwing 100 mph. Hard to keep that stuff fair no matter how good a bunter you are.

How about when Alomar almost got picked off first base in the eighth inning and that sorta reminded goofy Manuel to pinch run for him w/ one of our other cathers. How do you ever ever ever ever leave Alomar on base in the 8th inning of a close game?

Manuel is terrible. He's picking up where he left off last year. Bring in a guy that has a little common sense. Jerry is about an inning behind everyone else.

34 Inch Stick
04-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Starting? Randar, this guy has been sleeping through at least the last 2 seasons.

ssang
04-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Let's not forget to mention yesterdays gaffes.

1) Moving in the infield in the 2nd inning. *** was that?
2) Not pinch hitting a lefty late in the game for Alomar? Why do
we have a bench?

Manuel is fool and he acts like such a lil' bitch. I could kick his ass. Get agressive! Grow some balls. ENOUGH!

Chisox353014
04-02-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
It's taken you this long? I just can't figure having Graffy bunt w/ a 3 - 2 count against a guy throwing 100 mph. Hard to keep that stuff fair no matter how good a bunter you are.

How about when Alomar almost got picked off first base in the eighth inning and that sorta reminded goofy Manuel to pinch run for him w/ one of our other cathers. How do you ever ever ever ever leave Alomar on base in the 8th inning of a close game?

WHAT!?!? Why the hell do we have 3 catchers including "versatile" Josh Paul on the team then? From all the descriptions I've read about this game, I'm doubly glad now that I didn't have to sit through it.

RedPinStripes
04-02-2003, 04:58 PM
Need Wally Bachman in there.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2003, 05:24 PM
I have a cassette tape of me on the radio with T-Dub back in Spring, 2001 prattling on and on about what a genius Jerry Manuel was... to make all the right moves... with the talent he was given... to capture the division championship... blah blah blah.

What an embarrassment. That tape will never again see the light of day.

:)

ChiSoxBobette
04-02-2003, 05:45 PM

Could'nt agree with you anymore, I can't beleive Manuel would bring White in (White who I thought was on the bubble to make the team coming out of spring training)when he has Marte warming up especially when the Sox just tied the game up. I sure hope Jerry is'nt trying to get guys some work and blowing off these early games, I think he did the same last year and then he puts the Sox in a big hole or causes them to slump. I sure hope that Reinsdorf does'nt put up with poor managing to the point that we're out of any kind of race before the all - star break. Its early so lets just relax , for a while anyway but not to long.
Go White Sox

Randar68
04-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I have a cassette tape of me on the radio with T-Dub back in Spring, 2001 prattling on and on about what a genius Jerry Manuel was... to make all the right moves... with the talent he was given... to capture the division championship... blah blah blah.

What an embarrassment. That tape will never again see the light of day.

:)

I am thinking more and more he made a couple of lucky moves and the team simply won in spite of Jerry...

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2003, 05:51 PM
I am thinking more and more he made a couple of lucky moves and the team simply won in spite of Jerry...

That's exactly how I feel, too. I gave Jerry the benefit of the doubt in 2001, and didn't give up on him until sometime in July, 2002. Coincidentally, that's when his team gave up on him, too. Now I think he just needs to go because I'm not convinced he was ever that good of a manager to begin with.

Of course compared to Bevington he looked like a genius. But then, who wouldn't? :smile:

duke of dorwood
04-02-2003, 06:03 PM
The word skills and the name Manual do not belong in the same post

jeremyb1
04-02-2003, 06:08 PM
kw paid white something like 800,000 to pitch for us and decided to carry 11 pitchers. if white can't get anyone out and we only have six relievers i don't think manuel bringing him in is the problem. who else is he supposed to bring in in the seventh inning? he could've brought in glover and i suppose i would've prefered that but the bottom line is with sixth relievers white needs to pitch well or we need to get him off the roster or at least recall another reliever who can be effective.

pudge
04-02-2003, 06:12 PM
That's exactly how I feel, too. I gave Jerry the benefit of the doubt in 2001, and didn't give up on him until sometime in July, 2002. Coincidentally, that's when his team gave up on him, too. Now I think he just needs to go because I'm not convinced he was ever that good of a manager to begin with.

Of course compared to Bevington he looked like a genius. But then, who wouldn't? :smile:

I lost it for Manual after 2000... here in Seattle, the media was LAUGHING at how schooled Manual was against Pinella in the 2000 play-offs. It was embarassing, and ever since then, I can't stand Manual.

Rick f'ing White? Hell, go with Marte for an inning in a close game. Or even Wunsch, who was lights out all spring!

Lip Man 1
04-02-2003, 10:19 PM
After the 2000 ALDS manuel admitted in print and on the radio he was outmanaged.

I gave him credit for his honesty. Apparently he hasn't learned anything since then.

Remember one thing though, Reinsdorf will NEVER pay big money for a manager, nor will he ever allow a manager to have any input in things like roster decisions or payroll. When Manuel gets fired he'll simply be replaced with another novice who works cheap.

Lip

baggio202
04-02-2003, 11:23 PM

i gave on manuel last year for his handling of the foulke situation...that was the last straw for me...

i know its only two games but manuel has been beyond bizarre with his moves...how could any major league manager with that much experience keep making these bonehead moves...

manuel forgets to pinch run for alomar until he almost gets doubled off first..carlos lee strikes out not knowing it was strike 3...you guys think they share the same brain??..maybe with homer simpson??

Tragg
04-02-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

Manuel is terrible. He's picking up where he left off last year. Bring in a guy that has a little common sense. Jerry is about an inning behind everyone else.

This is the same nonsense that's been going on for three years. Bunting on a 3/2 count? Are you kidding?

It appears alomar is the 2003 version of clayton - no pinch hitting for him, no pinch running for him - nothing.

SoxxoS
04-03-2003, 12:00 AM
Wally Backman, anyone?

I am not calling for Manuel's head, YET. I am trying not to overreact after two games. However, if this team shows no enthusiam and/or as Viva said, finishes under .500 in April, I think Wally Backman might be our next manager. He is the only reasonable hire at this stage, I believe. Who else? Not Bruce Kimm, or Don Cooper. Or Razor Shines. I think Backman would be next in the pecking order? Can anyone think of anyone else?

:nardi

Me????

34 Inch Stick
04-03-2003, 09:01 AM
Frighteningly enough the Bruce Kim era will resurrect itself in Chicago.