PDA

View Full Version : Well we started 0-2 in 2000

SoxxoS
04-02-2003, 04:27 PM
and Crede. That is about the only positives I have for that past two games.

SoxxoS
04-02-2003, 04:29 PM
The title is supposed to be Well, not We'll. Sorry, I go to ASU. :smile:

Daver
04-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Fixed. :redneck

doublem23
04-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by daver
Fixed. :redneck

What are you talking about? He's still going to ASU.

:D:

I kid...

jortafan
04-02-2003, 05:38 PM
I know this probably means nothing, but I recall that in 1998, the year the Yankees won 114 games, dominated the playoffs and swept the San Diego Padres in the World Series, they started off that season by losing their first three games. So maybe the Sox will get their act together, and later this summer we'll be able to laugh about how worried we were when they lost their first two.

Maybe later.

For now, I'm just disgusted at the thought of the Royals, of all teams, being able to get off to this kind of start against us, their best start since 1979.

TheBigHurt
04-02-2003, 05:53 PM
THANKS for brighting up our days

BE GOOD SON'S

czalgosz
04-02-2003, 06:02 PM
And remember the Sox had a great April last year, while the A's had a terrible April. Don't read too much into it. Both games were very tight and well-played.

At this point, I'm just happy that the season is underway.

pudge
04-02-2003, 06:07 PM
In 2000, we also had five players reach double-digit stolen bases, Frank Thomas put up MVP numbers, four starters won double-digits, and Jerry Manual didn't tinker nearly as much. Will all that happen this season?

jeremyb1
04-02-2003, 06:11 PM
obviously no one is ever happy to lose two straight to the royals but anyone who's thinking about the bearing two games will have on our playoff chances needs to be committed. there are 160 games left.

Paulwny
04-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Some usless info, the last time the Royals started 2-0 was 1979.

SoxxoS
04-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by pudge
In 2000, we also had five players reach double-digit stolen bases, Frank Thomas put up MVP numbers, four starters won double-digits, and Jerry Manual didn't tinker nearly as much. Will all that happen this season?

The chances of 2 players having double digit stolen bases is slim, let alone 5.

Carlos and Mags need to start running like they did in 2000. We need to get a little more aggressive on the basepaths.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2003, 07:28 PM
The decision making has been terrible thus far. Manuel has made but one good move- pinch-hitting with Rios in the eighth inning. If he continues to make poor choices, then he should be fired. As I said in another post, his job will most definitely be in jeopardy if the White Sox are below .500 by the time May 1 rolls around.

Chisoxfn
04-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
Some usless info, the last time the Royals started 2-0 was 1979.

They were just due

Blueprint1
04-02-2003, 08:38 PM
So is tomorrow a must win????

Daver
04-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Blueprint1
So is tomorrow a must win????

Every game is a must win,if the players and management don't have that attitude they will never win a damn thing.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Every game is a must win,if the players and management don't have that attitude they will never win a damn thing.

Agreed. Manuel seems to think that it's okay to loose. It is not okay. The primary goal in any sport is to win. Players and coaches alike should dedicate the majority of their time to ensuring that winning takes place. If a team is not winning, then changes need to be made. Perhaps Manuel doesn't care anymore. If that's the case, then he needs to resign. Baseball requires enthusiasm and effort. If Manuel isn't able to incorporate these things into his life as he goes about his job, then he needs to be replaced.

TheBigHurt
04-02-2003, 09:19 PM

DAVER, I couldnt of said it better myself.......MANUEL better get that out before Sox fans start complaining

DonkeyKongerko
04-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Yeah I wonder how much of a desire to win is instilled by Jerry Manuel in the clubhouse. This should be important to any winning team.

Regarding base running, weren't we supposed to be doing "a lot of work" on the base running this offseason? I thought that was one of the big focuses to improve this year. I hope that includes stealing bases.

hose
04-02-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
and Crede. That is about the only positives I have for that past two games.

The New York Times is recommending that the White Sox forfeit the rest of their games . Management totally miss planned the season and all is lost , trade Maggs, Colon and Buehrle for whatever they can get

TheBigHurt
04-02-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by hose
The New York Times is recommending that the White Sox forfeit the rest of their games . Management totally miss planned the season and all is lost , trade Maggs, Colon and Buehrle for whatever they can get

LOL, I wouldn't know, i read Newsday and the post and (sunday daily news)

Lip Man 1
04-02-2003, 09:57 PM
On the surface losing two games in a row is no big deal (even losing to the Royals), but I do think a closer look needs to be made at the WAY they've been lost.....

leaving runners in scoring position...
giving extra outs because of bad fielding...
having a runner thrown out on the bases...
awful execution of little things (bunting)...

This sounds a lot like last year's problems doesn't it? What ever happened to the "boot camp" that Reinsdorf promised back in August? What happened to stressing execution and fundamentals?

I recall what Harold Reynolds said Sunday on Baseball Tonight. "I wanted to pick the Sox to win the division and go deep in the playoffs but I can't because they can't catch the ball.'"

Just something to consider.

Lip

hose
04-02-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
On the surface losing two games in a row is no big deal (even losing to the Royals), but I do think a closer look needs to be made at the WAY they've been lost.....

leaving runners in scoring position...
giving extra outs because of bad fielding...
having a runner thrown out on the bases...
awful execution of little things (bunting)...

This sounds a lot like last year's problems doesn't it? What ever happened to the "boot camp" that Reinsdorf promised back in August? What happened to stressing execution and fundamentals?

I recall what Harold Reynolds said Sunday on Baseball Tonight. "I wanted to pick the Sox to win the division and go deep in the playoffs but I can't because they can't catch the ball.'"

Just something to consider.

Lip

That quote by Reynolds is what most "experts" think of the White Sox. I don't believe the Sox fielding is as bad as they are billed, but they are not in the same class as Minnesota when it comes to playing defense.

Mental mistakes, not executing, struggling against questionable pitching........man, I'm glad these were day games and I wasn't able to watch or listen to them at work.

Sox will get 'em tomorrow!!!!

hose
04-02-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
LOL, I wouldn't know, i read Newsday and the post and (sunday daily news)

Hurt I don't think I ever read the New York Times, but it is now on my ignore list along with Al-jezzer, Peter Arnett, and the Baath Party Review :D:

Dan H
04-03-2003, 09:51 AM
Losing the first two games of the season is no reason to panic. However, this team played itself right out of contention last year when they had a terrible July against the likes of Detroit, Kansas City and Baltimore. I don't care how weak the opposition is, to win a team has to execute. The Sox have no reason to be arrogant or cocky. They haven't proven they can win anything real important. Today will be a good time to start, and then take no team lightly after that.