PDA

View Full Version : Konerko is Overrated

ssang
04-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Plain and simple fact.....Konerko is overrated. Season stats will be .267 avg, 23 HR, 83 RBI. Ho-hum stats for an average player. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

kermittheefrog
04-02-2003, 02:19 PM
How do you REALLY feel?

RKMeibalane
04-02-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by ssang
Plain and simple fact.....Konerko is overrated. Season stats will be .267 avg, 23 HR, 83 RBI. Ho-hum stats for an average player. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Konerko probably is overrated, but I think he's a much better player than some will admit. I don't think he'll hit .267 this season. He should have no problem hitting at least .290, when one takes into consideration how much protection he has in the lineup.

Bobby Thigpen
04-02-2003, 02:22 PM
How can you predict those numbers for a guy who has improved his numbers every year that he has been in the majors? I honestly don't understand all of the Konerko bashing. He was rated as the 8th or 9th best overall first baseman in the majors last year based on stats. (Ahead of Delgado, and a couple of other big names) I suppose you'd rather have gotten rid of Konerko in favor of keeping the ever great Liefer around. I just don't get the immense dislike for him. Please enlighten me on how Konerko is so terrible.

RKMeibalane
04-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
How can you predict those numbers for a guy who has improved his numbers every year that he has been in the majors? I honestly don't understand all of the Konerko bashing. He was rated as the 8th or 9th best overall first baseman in the majors last year based on stats. (Ahead of Delgado, and a couple of other big names) I suppose you'd rather have gotten rid of Konerko in favor of keeping the ever great Liefer around. I just don't get the immense dislike for him. Please enlighten me on how Konerko is so terrible.

There may be some residual hard feelings towards Konerko as a result of him criticizing Frank Thomas last season, and then having a sub-par second half. People were especially hard on Paul when Frank had a strong September, and Konerko continued to struggle.

Bobby Thigpen
04-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Frank deserves any criticism that he gets from anybody. The fact that it came from Konerko makes it all the more sweet for me. Apparently it has worked, as Frank seems a little more dedicated this season than he was last year. (based on the shape he has shown up in) I still challenge the Pauly haters to come up with a statistical reason for him being overrated. Besides, what is their alternative? Putting Thomas at first all year long. AND PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT VALENTIN'S DEFENSE.

Hullett_Fan
04-02-2003, 03:02 PM
I honestly don't understand all of the Konerko bashing. He was rated as the 8th or 9th best overall first baseman in the majors last year based on stats. (Ahead of Delgado, and a couple of other big names)...

Delgado's DEFINITELY better than PK. This year Delgado will hit .320 with 45HR. PK will hit 20-30 pts. lower and 10 to 15 fewer HRs.

1)Giambi
2)Thome
3)Delgado
4)Bagwell
5)Palmeiro
6)Sweeny
7)Konerko

ssang
04-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Well actually I like Konerko, I just don't think he's as good as most people give him credit for. His has major limitations in terms of speed and defense. And he doens't hit as well as one might think. I like his effort and heart though. Frank on the other-hand......well let's just say he's a good tight end.

Randar68
04-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by ssang
Well actually I like Konerko, I just don't think he's as good as most people give him credit for. His has major limitations in terms of speed and defense. And he doens't hit as well as one might think. I like his effort and heart though. Frank on the other-hand......well let's just say he's a good tight end.

Lip, is that you?

sox_fan_forever
04-02-2003, 03:27 PM
I agree that Konerko is overrated, to some extant. I also think that he is underrated by others. I think he'll probably hit about .290 this year. That sounds about right.

kermittheefrog
04-02-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Delgado's DEFINITELY better than PK. This year Delgado will hit .320 with 45HR. PK will hit 20-30 pts. lower and 10 to 15 fewer HRs.

1)Giambi
2)Thome
3)Delgado
4)Bagwell
5)Palmeiro
6)Sweeny
7)Konerko

Don't get so carried away with Delgado, he's never hit 45 homers. And here are his batting averages in the last four years:

One of these things is not like the other... One of these things just doesn't belong...

czalgosz
04-02-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Don't get so carried away with Delgado, he's never hit 45 homers. And here are his batting averages in the last four years:

One of these things is not like the other... One of these things just doesn't belong...

Shame on you, Kermit...

Delgado OPS+ for the last four years...

Anyhoo, I'd take Delgado and his 35+ homers and 100+ walks over Konerko any day.

Bobby Thigpen
04-02-2003, 03:44 PM
I'm not arguing that Konerko is better than Delgado, although I would say he is overall better. ( I got the list from the most recent SI) What I'm arguing is whether or not PK is overrated. I find it strange that almost everyone outside of the Sox rates PK higher than the majority of Sox fans do. I would agree that some fans rate PK higher than he is, but to say that he is widely overrated, and that he is even a poor player are ridiculous.

He hits for avg, power, rbi, is a better fielder than most give him credit for, and has tried to become a leader on a rudderless ship. Sure he's not going to steal 30 bases any time soon, and he is prone to prolonged slumps, but he's only 27, and is putting up some really good numbers for someone that age. Frank put up better numbers, but then he was a future Hall of Famer at that age. I still defy anyone to statistically prove me wrong.

TheBigHurt
04-02-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan

1)Giambi
2)Thome
3)Delgado
4)Bagwell
5)Palmeiro
6)Sweeny
7)Konerko

LOL are you kidding Delgadit wont it 320??? not even 300 hes a power hitter

doublem23
04-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Of course Paul is overrated... Anyone with half a brain cell can see that, but he's still an above average player.

maurice
04-02-2003, 04:51 PM
a guy who has improved his numbers every year that he has been in the majors?

People keep saying that, but it's simply not true. Konerko's stats overall have been remarkably consistent with the Sox. Not bad, but not improving either. He's an average 1B -- slightly better than Daubach, but with a much higher salary and without the left-handed bat.

StepsInSC
04-02-2003, 05:53 PM
Frank put up better numbers, but then he was a future Hall of Famer at that age

Bah he still is

Bobby Thigpen
04-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Maurice, I will agree that PK's numbers have not grown by leaps and bounds, but they have improved. We must also factor in his age. He just turned 27. Most ballplayers hit their prime from 27-35. If PK was 32 and putting up these numbers I would say he had reached as good as he was going to get, but he's not 32. This guy's best years are still ahead of him and I strongly feel we haven't seen anything from him yet.

And StepsInSC, about the only thing Frank is a Hall of Famer of at this point is terrible clutch hitting. Sure he sucked today and that's slightly influencing my judgement, but I honestly can't remember the last time Frank delivered in a clutch situation. It just seems like double play ball after double play ball.

doublem23
04-02-2003, 06:08 PM

And StepsInSC, about the only thing Frank is a Hall of Famer of at this point is terrible clutch hitting. Sure he sucked today and that's slightly influencing my judgement, but I honestly can't remember the last time Frank delivered in a clutch situation. It just seems like double play ball after double play ball.

I do recall him singling in the tying run today in the 7th inning.

hold2dibber
04-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Maurice, I will agree that PK's numbers have not grown by leaps and bounds, but they have improved. We must also factor in his age. He just turned 27. Most ballplayers hit their prime from 27-35. If PK was 32 and putting up these numbers I would say he had reached as good as he was going to get, but he's not 32. This guy's best years are still ahead of him and I strongly feel we haven't seen anything from him yet.

He had a 2-out RBI single today. He had a 2-out RBI single in the 9th inning of a loss to the Twins last year.

Frank isn't my favorite guy to see up there at the end of a tight game, but his 100+ RBIs each year all count, and even if they come in the 2nd inning of a 4-2 win, they're just as important as if they game in the 9th.

Bobby Thigpen
04-02-2003, 06:22 PM
As much as I'll get ripped for this, I'll say it. Frank is much like Sosa in that the majority of his stats come early in the game, or in games that are not in danger of going one way or another. It has not always been like this, but ever since sometime in 2000 or earlier it seems that more often than not Frank doesn't produce when the game is on the line. I mean if Frank comes up in the bottom of the ninth with bases loaded and one out, if you bet on a double play ground ball you'd be right at least 9 times out of ten. We have at least 5 people on our team right now that I would rather have up in that situation.

ChiSoxBobette
04-02-2003, 06:31 PM
2nd game of the year and Sox fans are already picking on someone , I guess this year it will be Pauly. he's a good solid team player who now what ,are we going to start booing him , come on. My problem today was watching some of the managerial moves that were made, I sure hope we don't have to watch Jerry do some of the things hes done in the past this year , like start panicing and make wholesale changes to our lineup. Graffino at ss for Jose was ok , but Jose has more range even though hes weak against lefthanders. Wed. Garland with a sure W. Hopefully Maggs will start hitting. Colon looked ok as did Buehrle so stop the panicing. I think this year will be a breakout year for Garland even though I know I've been on the guys case in the past now with Buehrle & Colon it will hopefully take a little pressure off Garland and he can just pitch. Big Year For Joe Crede!

Go White Sox

joecrede
04-02-2003, 06:45 PM
Konerko at $6-7M is fine. Konerko at $21M is an albatross.

maurice
04-02-2003, 06:46 PM
Maurice, I will agree that PK's numbers have not grown by leaps and bounds, but they have improved.

No, really . . . they haven't. Look them up. The dude's the model of a consistently average AL 1B.

His RBI have increased (slightly), which is consistent with the improvement of the guy hitting directly in front of him. His AVE and OBP have been up-and-down slightly. His power numbers actually went down a bit last year.