PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of the Day 4/1

Lip Man 1
04-02-2003, 12:01 AM
"We're looking at this [construction] process as a second chance. When the stadium was built, the money wasn't there to do some of things we've done now." --Terry Savarise, Sox V.P. of stadium operations.

"Still, a peanut dropped from the upper deck still has the time and freefall distance to approach terminal velocity before it lands "--John Mullin, Chicago Tribune

I wonder...was the money not available originally, or did certain individuals refuse to spend it?

Remember Rich Lindberg in his Q & A with me stated that the project came in UNDER budget and the Sox refused to spend the savings to improve the original bland design.

If you add up all the time and money that's been spent in the past three years on reworking the original flaws it probably would have been cheaper to spend the savings right from the start.

Typical Sox.

Lip

SoxxoS
04-02-2003, 12:12 AM
What's done is done. It's Reinsdorf's money and he can (unfortunately) spend it however he wants.

At least they are renovating it.

Jerry_Manuel
04-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
What's done is done. It's Reinsdorf's money and he can (unfortunately) spend it however he wants.

At least they are renovating it.

He hasn't paid a dime for this thing.

voodoochile
04-02-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
He hasn't paid a dime for this thing.

No, but a lot of teams with naming rights deals don't have to spend the money on new construction and get to put the money in their pocket or toward player signings. From that perspective, it is his money...

Jerry_Manuel
04-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, but a lot of teams with naming rights deals don't have to spend the money on new construction and get to put the money in their pocket or toward player signings. From that perspective, it is his money...

Right. However, Lip was talking about the original construction of the ballpark. That's what I thought SoxxoS was referring to.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-02-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
Right. However, Lip was talking about the original construction of the ballpark. That's what I thought SoxxoS was referring to.

The simple fact that the White Sox began renovating in 2001 a facility that was only ten years old puts the lie to Terry Savarise's assertion that the money wasn't there.

The Sox DICTATED the ballpark design, the one originally planned to be built in Addison. Only the site of the ballpark was ever open to discussion. If the Sox WANTED $10-$20 million in added amenities, they could easily have tacked it onto their original design proposal--the one the State of Illinois approved without reservation. Give me a break with this nonsense!

Savarise is spinning the facts. He's the same dope who TOLD the architect what to build. What a spineless **** he is.

Here are the simple facts. Reinsdorf was interested in one giant improvement for the home of his Sox: Diamond Suite revenue. He got it, and hasn't complained one bit about it ever since. Only now that everyone else complains about New Comiskey are any renovations necessary. Reinsdorf got his back in '91.