PDA

View Full Version : How would we view Manuel after a Championship?

kermittheefrog
04-01-2003, 11:34 AM
Let's just say this White Sox team goes on to win 95 games and then the World Series. How do we view Jerry Manuel after that? Is he still the annoying tinkerer or is a he a great manager? To his credit he would be responsible for developing a lot of the players on the team and he also has the 96 win season under his belt. At the same time we know what his weaknesses are.

voodoochile
04-01-2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Let's just say this White Sox team goes on to win 95 games and then the World Series. How do we view Jerry Manuel after that? Is he still the annoying tinkerer or is a he a great manager? To his credit he would be responsible for developing a lot of the players on the team and he also has the 96 win season under his belt. At the same time we know what his weaknesses are.

If he can actually prove that he can harness talent that way, he should be re-signed for a long time, IMO. This is his make or break season. He cannot continue to tinker his way through the majors. If the Sox win the championship it won't be because of his incessent tinkering...

Now or never, JM...

Chisox353014
04-01-2003, 11:56 AM
How would we view Manuel after a championship?

Through a euphoric, drunken haze of pure joy. :gulp:

maurice
04-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014
Through a euphoric, drunken haze of pure joy. :gulp:

Whoa . . . I just had a 1993 clincher flashback of Joey Cora giving postgame interviews. Dude was toasted. Good times. :gulp:

czalgosz
04-01-2003, 12:26 PM
On the positive side, Manuel handles a pitching staff very well. I've never had many issues with his pitching changes, and he's very careful not to overwork Sox starters. Screwing up pitchers by overworking them is the most common mistake managers make, and Manuel doesn't do that.

I've never heard any complaints from players about him, either. He's very well-liked and respected around the league, AFAIK.

I'm not as down on his screwy lineups as some people, but he does need to learn how to pinch-hit. The Sox have a great bench this year, and he's got to learn to take advantage of that. The Sox finish with the same lineup they started with far, far too often under Manuel.

I don't think firing Manuel would be an "addition by subtraction" kind of thing - I think someone obviously better would have to become available.

baggio202
04-01-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
If he can actually prove that he can harness talent that way, he should be re-signed for a long time, IMO. This is his make or break season. He cannot continue to tinker his way through the majors. If the Sox win the championship it won't be because of his incessent tinkering...

Now or never, JM...

i would hope the same can be said for KW...but i doubt it.. if this turned out to be a losing season that would be 3 years in a row where under his command the sox have gotten worse...cant see firing manuel and have any justification for keeping williams ..other than he is signed to a cheap contract..

TheBigHurt
04-01-2003, 01:41 PM
WELL :) :gulp: , we should look at him as a solid coach

BE GOOD

ChiWhiteSox1337
04-01-2003, 02:51 PM
DA COACH II

voodoochile
04-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
i would hope the same can be said for KW...but i doubt it.. if this turned out to be a losing season that would be 3 years in a row where under his command the sox have gotten worse...cant see firing manuel and have any justification for keeping williams ..other than he is signed to a cheap contract..

Generally, a GM always gets to pick their own manager/head coach/etc. at least once before being held accountable for the team's performance.

Also, if this team doesn't at least make a strong run at the playoffs (88+ wins) then JM deserves to be fired, IMO.

gosox41
04-01-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Generally, a GM always gets to pick their own manager/head coach/etc. at least once before being held accountable for the team's performance.

Also, if this team doesn't at least make a strong run at the playoffs (88+ wins) then JM deserves to be fired, IMO.

Kenny may not have picked Jerry to be his manager but he was the one who excitedly signed him to a contract extension after the 2000 season when he still had 2 years left on his contract. To me that's the same as hring his own guy. He could have seen if there were a carry over effect into 2001 and made a decision from there.

I wonder how much stock he bought in Yahoo when it was trading at $350.

Bob

voodoochile
04-01-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Kenny may not have picked Jerry to be his manager but he was the one who excitedly signed him to a contract extension after the 2000 season when he still had 2 years left on his contract. To me that's the same as hring his own guy. He could have seen if there were a carry over effect into 2001 and made a decision from there.

I wonder how much stock he bought in Yahoo when it was trading at $350.

Bob

Same thing happened to Angelo with Jauron. Forced to buy high because of public demand. Time will tell whether we got Yahoo'ed or not, but so far it doesn't look good...

duke of dorwood
04-01-2003, 05:03 PM
The addition of Colon makes this get off the pot time for Tinkerbell. If he does win the championship he will have done what even the great Tony LaRussa couldnt do here with a great team and must get appropriate treatment

guillen4life13
04-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

I don't know. KW has made the necessary changes on this team to make it a top notch club. Now its up to the players and coaches. KW has done his part (at least with this club). If the club gets worse this year, I wouldn't put the blame on him as much as the players/coaches. When you look at this team on paper, it's one of the best in the majors. That's what KW's job is to do--assemble a team like that. Chemistry is something you only find out through trial and error.

As for Manuel, if the Sox won the Series under him, I would be very happy. While most of you are not so big on Manuel, I really don't hold too much against him. He's made his mistakes, sure, but in the last two years he's been hit with bad luck (players getting injured, slumps, etc.)

idseer
04-01-2003, 08:21 PM
if the sox win a championship it will be in spite of JM ... not because of him.

he stunk in the past, he stinks now, and he'll stink in the future.

Lip Man 1
04-01-2003, 08:55 PM
It's an interesting theme but I don't think we're going to have to worry about it. the reality is this team has very little chance of winning a World series.

Sorry.

Lip

ShoelessFred
04-01-2003, 09:11 PM
i would still view him as a moron and that the team won in spite of him not because of him. i'm really scared this year he's gonna trot a different line up out there every day and screw up the team like he did last year.

kermittheefrog
04-02-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
It's an interesting theme but I don't think we're going to have to worry about it. the reality is this team has very little chance of winning a World series.

Sorry.

Lip

What the hell is the point of this post? It's a freaking theoretical situation. It doesn't matter how likely we are to win the series. If you don't have anything to say on topic why even post?