PDA

View Full Version : The Post-Opening Day Gap...

Procol Harum
04-01-2003, 09:25 AM
Why is it that the geniuses-that-be in MLB scheduling (among other issues) always throw water on the flames of baseball enthusiasm by scheduling a day off after opening day in 95% of all cases? I hate that--I wanna see another Sox game! :whiner:

Randar68
04-01-2003, 09:45 AM
Me too. They should put that day at the end of the first series to make up any rain/freeze-outs.

Hangar18
04-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Ever since I was a kid, I thought that was Stupid. Why a day off after a game? there is no possible reason for that other than to do something stupid.

pudge
04-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Well they love to squeeze some extra games in right before the season starts to make some money, such as that meaningless visit to Houston - what's up with that? Then, the guys need to rest after traveling so much. I wish they wouldn't do it, we all wanna see 'em get back out there.

Foulke You
04-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Yeah, especially after a loss like that. I'm sure the players will be eager to get back out there especially having to stew about the loss for a day and a half.

dickallen15
04-01-2003, 01:59 PM
The reason there is a off day, has to due with the weather. Opening day is obviously a draw and if it were to be rained or snowed out, the people holding tickets to game 2 would have opening day tickets. So they have an off day after just in case they get rained out it could be made up the next day, and everyone's opening day tickets would still be valid.

Randar68
04-01-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by dickallen15
The reason there is a off day, has to due with the weather. Opening day is obviously a draw and if it were to be rained or snowed out, the people holding tickets to game 2 would have opening day tickets. So they have an off day after just in case they get rained out it could be made up the next day, and everyone's opening day tickets would still be valid.

Did you just make this up?

If you put an off-day at the end of the season you wouldn't have to be jamming games postponed from the first week of the season into already busy July and August...

Soxboyrob
04-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Did you just make this up?

He truly didn't make it up. Opening day is traditionally a sellout or close to it. If the Opener got cancelled, the fans would just trade those tix in for games later in the year and few fans would be inclined to use them on the game rescheduled for 3 days later. So, the opener, if cancelled due to weather, is played on the next day and the opening day tix are good for that day. I don't think that the opening day tix can be refunded or exchanged if the game gets moved to the next day. The team doesn't want to lose that sell-out.