PDA

View Full Version : Metra Station at 35th

nut_stock
03-31-2003, 07:58 PM
It sounds like there is a big push to build a station east of the cell on the Joliet line according to Chicagosports.com.

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 08:06 PM
In addition, the Red Line station at 35th is being rehabbed bigtime (see photo attached; I took this last week). Also of note is that there is only one more big public housing block east of the Dan Ryan, and that is around 39th Street or so.

Da Mayor must be serious about making the South Side more of a destination. :gulp:

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 08:07 PM
One more time on the attached photo...

nut_stock
03-31-2003, 08:09 PM
when is the 35th st overpass, supposed to be done?

hsnterprize
03-31-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by nut_stock
It sounds like there is a big push to build a station east of the cell on the Joliet line according to Chicagosports.com.

That would make sense. I took the Metra from Joliet to the ballpark, and it was a real inconvenience to have to ride from a south side stop all the way to downtown, and then take the red line to the ballpark. I think that Metra stop would be nice for the Joliet and southern suburban fans to be able to go straight from their area to the ballpark without having to make an extra trip.

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 08:16 PM

I would not be surprised to find it done by Friday, but I guess I'll find out on Opening Day @ Comisk....er, US Cellular.

JUGGERNAUT
03-31-2003, 08:23 PM
Metra montly users.

Those who normally come into the city via the Union Station stop have a shorter walk to the La Salle Street station than they do to the ballpark for the 35th street station.

Those who normally come into the city via Ogilvie have about a 6 block walk to La Salle St.

Since US Cellular Field is owned by the ISFA it's possible the Mayor could have the city provide shuttle busses to & from La Salle St for the the burbanites attending the games.

There is the possibility that parking revenue could take a hit, but I think the exposure of fans in the seats is much more important.

Viva Magglio
03-31-2003, 09:48 PM
Why can't/won't Metra build a stop on the Southwest line which runs just west of the ballpark? That would be better and much more convenient. Of course, nothing Metra does makes sense. On the Southwest line, a new station in Palos Heights has been under construction forever. The problems it has had along the way have been a joke. And there are delay problems associated with the expansion of the Palos Park station.

ihatethecubs
03-31-2003, 09:55 PM

i dont know, but i drove past it today and it looks close to finished. i'd imagine theyre doing everything possible to have it done by friday otherwise it will be hell getting in and out of comiskey. BTW theres still quite a bit of painting left to do on the park.