PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day comments

pudge
03-31-2003, 07:31 PM
No "the sky is falling" comments allowed in this thread, and nothing said here is meant to be taken as what will happen over the course of 162 games. But it is Opening Day, so it gets special treatment, especially since I freakin' skipped work for today's pathetic game. One more rule: Every time you point out something bad, you have to point out something good. So here are my comments...

Bad: Carlos Lee regressed two years in one day. What was all that talk about him walking more last season? He looked like he didn't know the meaning of "base on balls". Golly, hope he snaps out of that quickly.

Good: Who says our defense is weak up the middle? Jimenez with two nice throws, Valentin stopped a few balls headed toward center, and Rowand made some nice catches (not to mention a great relay on the bounce off the wall). I've always liked Rowand's defense, I wonder sometimes why people diss him.

Bad: Failure to manufacture runs in a close game. We're great when we're winning 11-2, but we suck when we're down 2-1. That was the story all last season. I'm slightly worried.

Good: Frank was on base a lot today - great to see.

Bad: Frank got thrown out at home. Some things never change.

Good: We really smoked some balls ...

Bad: ... but they were all right at people.

Good: Buehrle pitched well...

Bad: The Royals pitched better... did any of them ever throw a ball? Or, better yet, did we ever take a ball?

Good: The game was only two hours!

Bad: That's because we swung at ever damn pitch. Jimenez, our "leadoff" hitter, took two hacks in his first at bat and wound up with a pop-out to start the game... That pretty much set the tone.

Good: Joe Crede roped a double for the first extra-base hit...

Bad: Joe Crede looked miserable on a strike out with men on base late in the game.

Good: Mike Sweeney celebrated after the game, making me realize he's not as classy as Paul Konerko.

Bad: Paul Konerko couldn't hold Sweeney's jock strap in the batter's box today.

Good: Um, I've run out of good things to say... Hey, Colon takes the ball on Wednesday - Luckily, there's 161 more to go.

doublem23
03-31-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Good: Frank was on base a lot today - great to see.

You can't blame him for that... A slow roller to third, I didn't think Randa was coming home with that. What can you do? Just a nice play.

Originally posted by pudge
Good: We really smoked some balls ...

Bad: ... but they were all right at people.

Nature of the game. I remember Alomar absolutely spanked one right into Randa's glove. He didn't have to move. And they stole a few from us, like Maggs' shot that Berger made a solid play on. If he didn't catch that, completely different game. Completely different.

Go Sox!

Ol Aches & Pains
03-31-2003, 08:20 PM

Did he at least slide?