PDA

View Full Version : Jon Garland

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 07:42 PM
needs to throw strikes. RIght now hes throwing way too many pitches. Hes doing okay, but he needs to be more confident with his stuff. His stuff is great.

danman31
08-16-2001, 08:11 PM
Are you watching the game? From what I've seen this isn't Danny Wright type wildness vs TB. This is close to the zone pitches that aren't fooling the hitters at all. Now I agree that he should be making more strikes, it isn't as bad as some of you may think that are watching via a gamecast. Garland is making the good pitches to get the pitchers out even when he is behind in the count. I don't have a clue how he is doing that, but I like it.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Are you watching the game? From what I've seen this isn't Danny Wright type wildness vs TB. This is close to the zone pitches that aren't fooling the hitters at all. Now I agree that he should be making more strikes, it isn't as bad as some of you may think that are watching via a gamecast. Garland is making the good pitches to get the pitchers out even when he is behind in the count. I don't have a clue how he is doing that, but I like it.

hes throwing strikes now. 20 pitch 1-2-3 innings arent gonna get it done....

FarWestChicago
08-16-2001, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

hes throwing strikes now. 20 pitch 1-2-3 innings arent gonna get it done....

It would be nice if the boys could get the kid some more runs.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago

It would be nice if the boys could get the kid some more runs.

that would be nice too. all jon needs to add is confidence and hes gonna be a tough pitcher to hit!

danman31
08-16-2001, 08:35 PM
2-0, if we get 4 that should be enough.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by danman31
2-0, if we get 4 that should be enough.

hes throwing way too many pitches, STILL

charlie browned
08-16-2001, 08:45 PM
Garland's a right-handed Alan Embree---tremendous BP pitchers, both of them.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by charlie browned

i know you didnt just mention garland and embree in the same sentence....

FarWestChicago
08-16-2001, 08:47 PM

OK, that doesn't make any sense at all.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 08:49 PM

OK, that doesn't make any sense at all.

lol no kidding

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31
i know you didnt just mention garland and embree in the same sentence....

Maybe he meant Biddle and Embree are BP pitchers!

:)

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Maybe he meant Biddle and Embree are BP pitchers!

lol maybe! :)

charlie browned
08-16-2001, 08:56 PM
Although I was clearly exaggerating, since both are de facto major league pitchers and not BP pitchers, I think it makes a bit of sense to a frustrated fan's twisted view. Garland has given up 13 hr in 73 IP, has a 1:1 walk to K ratio, gives up one hit per inning. A number of innings he's thrown this year have looked like BP for the other team. He leaves too many pitches high and hanging to be consistently successful.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 08:58 PM
Although I was clearly exaggerating, since both are de facto major league pitchers and not BP pitchers, I think it makes a bit of sense to a frustrated fan's twisted view. Garland has given up 13 hr in 73 IP, has a 1:1 walk to K ratio, gives up one hit per inning. A number of innings he's thrown this year have looked like BP for the other team. He leaves too many pitches high and hanging to be consistently successful.

can someone else take this one? Im watching teh game and dont feel like going off on this guy.....

FarWestChicago
08-16-2001, 09:02 PM

You need to look at Garland's numbers since he was sent to the pen. He got rocked in a couple of early starts. He got his game together in the bullpen and he's been doing well since coming back to the rotation. I think he's doing fine for a 22 year old kid. I believe his ERA is respectable even including the early rockings, but I'm not sure on that one.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 09:04 PM

You need to look at Garland's numbers since he was sent to the pen. He got rocked in a couple of early starts. He got his game together in the bullpen and he's been doing well since coming back to the rotation. I think he's doing fine for a 22 year old kid. I believe his ERA is respectable even including the early rockings, but I'm not sure on that one.

Garland is not quite 22 and has a great future. To even compare him to embree makes me wonder if youre a frustrated cub fan? meaning charlie of course

charlie browned
08-16-2001, 09:06 PM
I'm sorry---Jon Garland is the second comng of Greg Maddox--just give him 5 years. Sorry to make you regret having to "go off" on me, BMR the board proctor.

Was that another home run he just gave up?

FarWestChicago
08-16-2001, 09:09 PM

Yeah, against the team that leads the league in homers. It doesn't mean he has no talent or future.

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2001, 09:17 PM
I'm sorry---Jon Garland is the second comng of Greg Maddox--just give him 5 years. Sorry to make you regret having to "go off" on me, BMR the board proctor.

Nobody has said he will be the next Maddux, but for you to compare him to Embree is just flat out wrong. Garland has potential to be good, we know Embree is bad. And besides I have heard Garland most compared to Kevin Brown!

charlie browned
08-16-2001, 09:17 PM
To even compare him to embree makes me wonder if youre a frustrated cub fan? meaning charlie of course

Iguess criticizing Garland is blasphemy here...

I've honestly tried to be a Cubs fan in the past, but I find it impossible. I've been a Mets fan since '69, a Red Sox fan since '67, and a White Sox fan since '83. However, the Red Sox have become very unlikeable now that the New England intelligentsia has embraced them and "Cubs-ified" them and Fenway. I see much about the White Sox, in terms of media underappreciation, youth, player charisma, etc. these days that reminds me of the late '60's Red Sox (although I was only 8 or 9 then...)

FarWestChicago
08-16-2001, 09:20 PM
Iguess criticizing Garland is blasphemy here...

Criticizing Garland and equating him to Embree are two different things. :)

charlie browned
08-16-2001, 09:26 PM
Criticizing Garland and equating him to Embree are two different things.

You're right--Embree throws harder than Garland. But both leave the ball too high in the zone too often for too many rockets.

FarWestChicago
08-16-2001, 09:34 PM

You're right--Embree throws harder than Garland. But both leave the ball too high in the zone too often for too many rockets.

Yahoo says his ERA was 3.58 going into today's game. For a young kid in the American League that is pretty good. And, it's less than half of Embree's ERA.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 09:42 PM

Yahoo says his ERA was 3.58 going into today's game. For a young kid in the American League that is pretty good. And, it's less than half of Embree's ERA.

and he hasnt even come close to reaching his potential. Hey ive heard him compared to kevin Brown, and im a huge Garland fan, but i dont think he will be quite that good. BUt to compare him to embree is a joke.

Iguana775
08-16-2001, 10:40 PM
isnt embryo also in his late 20??

doesnt garland have movement on his pitches??? i thought he did. embryo has absolutly no movement on his fastball.

comparing these 2 is like comparing peanut butter and jelly.

Bmr31
08-16-2001, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
isnt embryo also in his late 20??

doesnt garland have movement on his pitches??? i thought he did. embryo has absolutly no movement on his fastball.

comparing these 2 is like comparing peanut butter and jelly.

no kidding.... :)

HootieMcBoob
08-16-2001, 11:58 PM
What kind of ridiculous conversation is this???
Charlie - You're making me laugh. Garland has been great of late and he will have a great future (he's only 22!!!). Hawk says he has the nastiest stuff on the roster - just wait til he matures and establishes himself around the league.

And rememer-- we got him from the cubs for basically free (for Matt Karchner, lol!!!)

Tragg
08-17-2001, 12:12 AM
Big Bird Embree is 31, and aging fast.

Randar68
08-17-2001, 09:50 AM
and he hasnt even come close to reaching his potential. Hey ive heard him compared to kevin Brown, and im a huge Garland fan, but i dont think he will be quite that good. BUt to compare him to embree is a joke.

I agree with both bmr and to some extent, charlie....

When a hitter is really working Garland, working the count, fouling pitches off, Garlnad seems to give up on the at-bats. I have seen on many occassions this year Garland go 1-2 on somebody, who then works him to 3-2, and Garland will throw a nice, fat, straight, 87 mph 'fastball' over the middle of the plate. It seems he is afraid to walk guys and isn't confident in throwing his fastball at top notch or his breaking pitches for strikes....

One thing I saw that was encouraging, was that he was able to throw his curve for a strike last night.