joecrede
03-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Thought I'd start a season-long thread. Feel free to contribute. :D:

joecrede
03-31-2003, 07:23 PM
Game #1 3/31/03 @KC

KC 3 Sox 0

Why We Lost: Offense. 3 hits, 2 walks.

Key Moment: Trailing 2-0 in the 7th, Konerko failing to get Thomas in from third with nobody out and Lee and Crede failing to get Ordonez home from second with 1 & 2 outs respectively.

My Goat: Konerko, 0-3, DP.

Not In The Boxscore: Buehrle did not pitch as well as his line indicated. KC had two runners thrown out at home. Carrying three catchers, for some unknown reason, Manuel does not pinch-hit for Alomar in the 8th trailing 2-0.

bc2k
03-31-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by joecrede

Key Moment: Trailing 2-0 in the 7th, Konerko failing to get Thomas in from third with nobody out and Lee and Crede failing to get Ordonez home from second with 1 & 2 outs respectively.

Not in Crede's description: Konerko grounded to the left side and Thomas was thrown out at the plate while running on contact with nobody out. Thomas did not give Lee a chance at driving him in from third base.

joecrede
04-01-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Not in Crede's description: Konerko grounded to the left side and Thomas was thrown out at the plate while running on contact with nobody out. Thomas did not give Lee a chance at driving him in from third base.

Thomas and Manuel were not at fault in that situation, IMO. Konerko is one of the biggest double play candidates in the league. Therefore the contact play has got to be on when he's hitting.

bc2k
04-01-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by joecrede
Thomas and Manuel were not at fault in that situation, IMO. Konerko is one of the biggest double play candidates in the league. Therefore the contact play has got to be on when he's hitting.

Contact play isn't the only option in that case. And I guarantee Manuel didn't have it on in that situation. You don't have a runner on third with NO OUTS run home on contact. Frank took a risk and lost.

If Paulie hits into a double play, Frank walks home. If that happened, we would only be one run down.

You could have had Magglio steal to avoid the double-play. But more than any other hitter on this team, you trust Paulie to get Frank home with his bat. Just because Paulie is the most consistant/dependable situational hitter on this team, doesn't mean he will succeed in every at bat. Frank fans should realize that, like in the 9th inning today.

doublem23
04-01-2003, 03:16 AM
Blaming Frank for getting thrown out at home there is stupid. Good play by Randa, I don't think anyone saw that coming. Hard to place blame there.

It was just one of those days.

doublem23
04-01-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Just because Paulie is the most consistant/dependable situational hitter on this team, doesn't mean he will succeed in every at bat. Frank fans should realize that, like in the 9th inning today.

:maggs
Ahem

This is ridiculous.

joecrede
04-02-2003, 05:31 PM
KC 5 Sox 4

Why We Lost: White Serves up 2-run homer to Randa in 7th after Graffinino's throwing error on a routine grounder to short.

Key Moment(s): After taking a 2-0 in the 3rd, Colon surrenders it in the bottom half of the inning, giving up a RBI single to Sweeney on a 1-2 count. Colon also gave up an RBI double to Ibanez in the 5th with 2 outs on an 0-2 count.

My Goat(s): White & Graffinino

Not In The Boxscore: After Jimenez leads off the 9th with a walk, Graffinino showing bunt works the count to 3-1, bunts the next pitch foul and proceeds to bunt the next pitch which would have been ball four foul.

#1 Manuel should have pinch-hit Valentin for him
#2 Graffinino has to get that bunt down he's a utility player for goodness sake.
#3 Manuel should have taken the bunt off with 2 strikes
#4 Graffinino should have laid off the 3-2 pitch that was clearly ball four.

Question: Will Manuel ever pinch-hit for Alomar?