PDA

View Full Version : Ferris wheel outside Cincy's new ballpark!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2003, 06:45 PM
I've been telling anyone who will listen the LAST SEVEN YEARS that the soul of Comiskey Park has always been a carnival midway. I've lamented how insipid New Comiskey's scoreboard is compared to Veeck's original "Monster" that landed on the cover of Sports Illustrated back in 1960. I've made the case why a giant ferris wheel and carnival midway is precisely what New Comiskey needs to bring back the old ballpark's flavor. That was way back in 1996.

Comerica Park opened in 2000 with a H-U-G-E scoreboard (top with snarling tigers) and now Cincinnati has opened their new ballpark with a GIANT FERRIS WHEEL beyond the outfield wall!

So now let me state this with 100 percent sincerity:

THE PEOPLE WHO RUN THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX ARE ****ING IDIOTS!

THEY COULD **** UP A ONE-CAR FUNERAL!!!!

Okay, now I need to go lie down...

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
03-31-2003, 07:17 PM
You'll get no arguement from me on your comment about ownership.

Lip

kix9723
03-31-2003, 08:52 PM
I just moved from Cincy and that is not a ferris wheel. It is a monument to riverboats (it's a paddle wheel) and is not actually part of the stadium.

Brian26
03-31-2003, 08:57 PM
PHG:

Yep, because most true White Sox fans really give two-sh*ts about whether or not a giant f'n ferris wheel is outside the park.

Geez.

Isn't our big argument that Wrigley is a party atmosphere and most people there don't even know what's happening on the field? So what's your solution? Turn The Cell into a circus.

Screw the Ferris Wheel already. Just give me a team that plays hard consistently and wins.

soxnut
04-01-2003, 01:11 AM
A Ferris wheel? I don't want people going to the park because of a carnival ride. The carnies have their own places to go. And the wheel is doing wonders for attendance at Comerica. A ballpark that feels like a ballpark(which is happening) and a consistent WINNING team is what is needed.

And of course like I have said the past few months on this site, when the neighborhood gets more residential, AND IT'S GETTING PREPPED FOR IT, you will see. CHECK OUT SOM.COM---STATEWAY GARDENS PROJECT, UNIONLOFTS.COM, and there was a blip somewhere about a plumbing magnate-DiFoggio, in Bridgeport, who has purchased a large tract of land at 39th and Pershing. All of THESE THINGS will assist in there being more bars and restaurants in the area, as well as more people coming to the ballpark. :smile:

soxnut
04-01-2003, 01:22 AM
Blip from laughterismusic.blogspot.com

Plumbing magnate Michael DiFoggio has purchased a huge parcel of land 3946 S. Normal and 559 W. Pershing, and plans to put attractive residential housing in the area, which due to Chicago’s With-Houses-Comes-Grass ordnance means there will be some nice green to look at as well. The development will depend on what re-elected Alderman James Balcer (11th) will allow DiFoggio to do with the parcel. Bridgeport will border on the New Downtown as the Central Area Plan progresses, and so a centrally-located new residential development will go far in improving the face of one of the city’s oldest neighborhoods. Like Pilsen, Bridgeport was out of the way of the Great Chicago Fire and therefore many of its buildings date from the mid-19th century.

:cool:

hsnterprize
04-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I've been telling anyone who will listen the LAST SEVEN YEARS that the soul of Comiskey Park has always been a carnival midway. I've lamented how insipid New Comiskey's scoreboard is compared to Veeck's original "Monster" that landed on the cover of Sports Illustrated back in 1960. I've made the case why a giant ferris wheel and carnival midway is precisely what New Comiskey needs to bring back the old ballpark's flavor. That was way back in 1996.

Comerica Park opened in 2000 with a H-U-G-E scoreboard (top with snarling tigers) and now Cincinnati has opened their new ballpark with a GIANT FERRIS WHEEL beyond the outfield wall!

So now let me state this with 100 percent sincerity:

THE PEOPLE WHO RUN THE CHICAGO WHITE SOX ARE ****ING IDIOTS!

THEY COULD **** UP A ONE-CAR FUNERAL!!!!

Okay, now I need to go lie down...

:gulp:

Okay...someone needs to pop a couple of valium and take a few days off. You, my friend, are missing the forest for the trees here. In layman's terms, you're missing the big picture.

Yes, there are features in ballparks across the country, such as the ferris wheel in Detroit and the new features in Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati. However, since Comerica Park in Detroit opened a couple of years ago, how has the attendance been? Are people flooding downtown Detroit for Tigers' games because of some silly ferris wheel? The last I've seen...I see more empty, green chairs in that ballpark than fannies on a ferris wheel outside the stadium. If people are going to Comerica Park because of the "tigers" detailing the scoreboard instead of the Tigers trying to put runs on the scoreboard, then they're just a foolish and stupid as the people who only go to Wrigley Field for the "ambience" and tourist appeal of the stadium instead of wanting to see the Cubs. Now, come on...you know better than that.

Now don't misunderstand me. I'm not against attractions to draw casual fans to the ballpark. U.S. Cellular Field has its own set of attractions, and I trust as the renovations continue over the next few years, more attactions will be added to make going to the "Cell" an entertaining ballpark experience. However, don't lose focus on why we go to the ballpark in the first place. If Jay Mariotti can see that we go to the game because we love our team, then I don't see why you're in such a huff over a ferris wheel put in a couple of new stadiums. When a team like the Tigers is losing year after year, no ferris wheel is going to make people make the effort to go to the ballpark. Even attendance at Jacobs Field is dwindling because the team isn't as good as it was a few years. Let's face it...winning...not a ferris wheel, not an oversided scoreboard, not some stupid gimmick unlike the people who frequent Wrigley Field all the time are used to is going to draw fans to a baseball game in the long run. WINNING will. You watch the attendance in places like Comerica Park and Great American Ballpark over the next few years. When you see more empty seats than fans in these new ballparks, then you'll understand where I and many other Sox fans have long since known. Even though our ballpark is being improved, and I'm thankful for the renovations, all the gimmicks and public relations moves in the world won't replace a winning team on the field.

Bobby Thigpen
04-01-2003, 09:53 AM
The ABSOLUTE last thing the Sox need is a carnival midway. Sure these draw fans, but only for one or two years. When the newness wears off, the fans quit coming. Sure these new ballparks with all the bells and whistles draw like crazy the first couple of years, but when the fans realize the team sucks they quit coming, and in the end the Sox would be in the same attendance boat they are in now. I agree with everyone else who says build a competent, competitive TEAM, and then attendance will fix itself. Otherwise, your only wasting money for a one or two year attendance spike.

If we want the Sox to be like a carnival, why don't we put up brick outfield walls, grow ivy, put up nets to catch the drunks, change their colors, and call them the Cubs?

THE_HOOTER
04-01-2003, 10:06 AM
I saw Comerica Park this winter and it is a wonderful park. Very unusual because you can see the entire inside of the park from the outside gates.

They have HUGE Wooden Tigers everywere, and i thought it was too much-it looked more like Disney Land.

The ferris wheel is no big deal, but the color and unique shape of the park make it very appealing.

34 Inch Stick
04-01-2003, 11:35 AM
Can't we just dig up Andy the Clown and haul his bones around the park in his old costume?

Seriously if you want to do something interesting like that the center field area behind the scoreboard would be the area. It should not dominate the primary reason for being there. It should only be a small compliment that gives the ballpark a distinctive quality.

soxnut is absolutely correct. If you want to buy up some land that is going to appreciate, Bridgeport is a good place to look. I think at some point the battle over gentrification will hit that neighborhood harder than anywhere in the city. There are a lot of tough people who have been living there a while who will not appreciate being squeezed out. Ald. Balcer is looking out for that group when these proposals come before him.

maurice
04-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I think at some point the battle over gentrification will hit that neighborhood harder than anywhere in the city. There are a lot of tough people who have been living there a while who will not appreciate being squeezed out. Ald. Balcer is looking out for that group when these proposals come before him.

I'm not concerned. The young adults who grew up in the neighborhood are buying property and welcome the appreciation in its value. The major residential developers are from the neighborhood and have good relationships with the ward office and the city.

Besides, Bridgeport is a big neighborhood. It will take a good long time to squeeze out all of the 120-year-old cottages and crappy multi-flat buildings.