PDA

View Full Version : The Manos Count

Procol Harum
03-31-2003, 04:42 PM
Santa was in KC today masquerading as the official scorer and didn't charge Jose w/ an error on that grounder he flubbed. So the official count is not yet underway. Nonetheless, I count it as the "first official Manos defensive flub that didn't end up hurting the team" for 2003. :cool:

czalgosz
03-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Well, this has been argued before, but even if it didn't hurt the team directly, it made Buerhle work harder than he should have. That play should have been made.

Procol Harum
03-31-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Well, this has been argued before, but even if it didn't hurt the team directly, it made Buerhle work harder than he should have. That play should have been made.

I should have half-phrased the post in teal. While I don't miss The Choice, I'm somewhat amused by the "errors that don't hurt the Sox" line of reasoning in defense of Manos. They sho' don't help!

voodoochile
03-31-2003, 04:51 PM
He got an error for letting that ball through the wickets. And, no it didn't hurt the team, but his Royce like presence at the plated didn't help the team either.

Over all good defense. Both Crede and Jimenez made some nice plays. Rowand too...

Procol Harum
03-31-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He got an error for letting that ball through the wickets. And, no it didn't hurt the team, but his Royce like presence at the plated didn't help the team either.

Over all good defense. Both Crede and Jimenez made some nice plays. Rowand too...

I thought he had an error, too--but the ESPN box score and game log doesn't list it as an error. Everybody stunk at the plate.

voodoochile
03-31-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
I thought he had an error, too--but the ESPN box score and game log doesn't list it as an error. Everybody stunk at the plate.

You mean this Box Score (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230331107)?

:)

Procol Harum
03-31-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You mean this Box Score (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=230331107)?

Those goofs--no, this one:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/scoreboard

And then this game log and box score:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gameLog?gameId=230331107

Who's a guy to believe???

:D:

Hey, I thought it was an error in the first place...

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2003, 05:32 PM
Well, of course we wanted the Choice out there at shortstop today. Royce hit a three-run dinger. Well, duh! He could have have won our game all by himself!!!

:gulp:

:jerry
"I'm all misty-eyed for my nephew. I'm calling him tonight and promising him a raincheck on a future trip to Dairy Queen."

:hitless
"I set an opening day homerun record for shortstops that will probably never be broken... and I did it wearing sneakers, too!!!!"

Nellie_Fox
04-01-2003, 04:16 PM
You can never be sure that an error doesn't hurt the team. Just because a run doesn't score that inning, as was pointed out above it makes the pitcher throw pitches that inning that he shouldn't have had to. Additionally, there is no way that you can know what it does to the pitchers' mental approach. Are they afraid to throw pitches and let the hitters hit grounders, therefore trying to be too fine to get strikeouts?

A bad defensive shortstop always hurts the team. Always.

PaleHoseGeorge
04-01-2003, 05:16 PM
LOL! Here's my list of "flubs" that hurt the team even if they don't make a difference in the boxscore.

1. Shortstop defensive gaffe gives other team an extra out.
2. Catcher made a pass at the pitcher's wife/girlfriend.
3. Leftfielder punched out firstbasemen last week, claims he ran face into car door.
4. Secondbasemen is hungover. Again.
5. First base coach is a spy--and everybody knows it.
6. Centerfielder just separated from wife, learned today she is dating a hockey player.
7. The set-up man wants to be closer, but the pitching coach hates his guts, and the manager refuses to intervene.
8. The closer is a prima donna in the bullpen. All the other relievers gossip behind his back. Nobody will eat with him at the hotel.
9. Thirdbasemen is pissed off because he alone was left out on a deviant group sex escapade on last road trip.
10. Rightfielder can't get his mind off the no-good sonofabitch who keyed his Porsche in the nightclub parking lot last night.
11. Designated hitter can't run the shuttle drill. Brings note from doctor.

Others?

PaleHoseGeorge
04-01-2003, 06:16 PM
Whoops, forgot one.

12. The blonde with the big **** sitting behind the dugout has the attention of five sets of eyes out on the field, which is one set more than the hanging curve the pitcher just served up to homeplate.

:gulp: