PDA

View Full Version : sox are hopeless

DustyIsOverated1
03-31-2003, 05:15 PM
This performance just might have shown us what to expect. Streaky offence and a bullpen that chokes. Fire manuel and ward. Thats all there is left to blame.

Hullett_Fan
03-31-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by DustyIsOverated1
This performance just might have shown us what to expect. Streaky offence and a bullpen that chokes. Fire manuel and ward. Thats all there is left to blame.

LOL!!!

And the Cubs will go 162-0, Patterson will hit 324 HR and the team will score 2500 runs. Terrible time to be a Sox fan. Can I get a refund on my tix???

Jjav829
03-31-2003, 05:19 PM

You're joking right? Please tell me you just forgot the teal. It is Opening Day! It's one game. The Angels lost their first game last year and look what they did. I mean I am disappointed but it is only one game. Don't get on the ledge this quickly.

Rocky Soprano
03-31-2003, 05:19 PM
We lose the first game and you are going to get your panties in a bunch already?

Its one freaking game...

Let me guess, since the Cubs won 15-2, does that mean your going to become a Cubs fan, or that they are going to win the WS?

FarWestChicago
03-31-2003, 05:20 PM
This performance just might have shown us what to expect. Streaky offence and a bullpen that chokes. Fire manuel and ward. Thats all there is left to blame. :chickenlittle

czalgosz
03-31-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
LOL!!!

And the Cubs will go 162-0, Patterson will hit 324 HR and the team will score 2500 runs. Terrible time to be a Sox fan. Can I get a refund on my tix???

What happened to Tom Glavine today? He looked like crap. I hope the Mets are happy with all the money they gave him.

RKMeibalane
03-31-2003, 05:26 PM

Enough. It was one game. One game. The world will still exist tomorrow.

voodoochile
03-31-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
:chickenlittle

Thanks, I just wanted to see what the tag word was. I couldn't have said it better myself...

TheBigHurt
03-31-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Enough. It was one game. One game. The world will still exist tomorrow.

WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO

Yeah i couldnt said it better myself

A.T. Money
03-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Granted it was 1 game, but when your expectations get so high, and you expect to win a lot of games in the earlygoing against sub-par teams, and then you get this horrible performance, I guess it's enough to piss ya off.

How many hits did we have? 3? 4? And then to get blanked on top of it, with your ace on the mound. Wowsers.

FarWestChicago
03-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Thanks, I just wanted to see what the tag word was. I couldn't have said it better myself... It's pretty sad when you need that tag on opening day. :o:

dllrbll7
03-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Man i need to find new friends. I already have had one of my "Sox" fan friends call me up and start talking about how good the cubs did. He had been doin soo good the last couple years stayin on the south side but it doesnt look good from his reaction today but i will definately work my ass off on friday and try to get him drunk and remember which team he should be rooting for.

bfauble83
03-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Its not football...one game in April doesn't mean that much...(I'll eat crow if we miss the playoffs by one game). There are still 161 games to right the ship.

GASHWOUND
03-31-2003, 05:36 PM

You're right. lets forfeit the rest of the season.
We stink...
Bullpen is absolutely horrible, Ordonez sucks..He couldn't even get a freakin hit today!!! Lets cut our losses with him, maybe we can get somebody for him..more pitching?
What do you think?

Juan Pizarro
03-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Man, this might be the fastest bandwagon bailout in history.
C'mon, you're supposed to be Sox fans. Suck it up.

czalgosz
03-31-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
You're right. lets forfeit the rest of the season.
We stink...
Bullpen is absolutely horrible, Ordonez sucks..He couldn't even get a freakin hit today!!! Lets cut our losses with him, maybe we can get somebody for him..more pitching?
What do you think?

I hope you meant to put that in teal...

But Ordonez did get a hit, didn't he?

voodoochile
03-31-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Granted it was 1 game, but when your expectations get so high, and you expect to win a lot of games in the earlygoing against sub-par teams, and then you get this horrible performance, I guess it's enough to piss ya off.

How many hits did we have? 3? 4? And then to get blanked on top of it, with your ace on the mound. Wowsers.

Yeah, Sox sent 31 guys to the plate today. You don't win very often when that happens.

bc2k
03-31-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

I agree, I hate losing to KC let alone getting shutout. I could have accepted the loss had the Sox played good ball, but this was the same garbage against no-name pitchers on a no-name team.

Did anyone else see Sweeney celebrate like he won the World Series? This punk was pumped when KC scored their third run, and started jumping like a Little Leaguer after the final out.

Tucker sucks, he won a game last year on a home run against us. And in that game, Pena let Byrd match Buehrle for a complete game. Pena sucks too.

Positives: Two nice outs at home plate. Rowand bare-handed a ball off the wall and hit Jimenez who hit Alomar for one of the outs. Rowand had a nice defensive game with a nice cautious dive and getting to everything else.

And I was really looking forward to seeing Koch pitch, but of course not.

GASHWOUND
03-31-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I hope you meant to put that in teal...

But Ordonez did get a hit, didn't he?

No, I think it was so obvious I didn't need to use teal.

Yeah, I think Maggs did get that deflected hit..my bad..but he didn't homer.. :o: :smile:

voodoochile
03-31-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND
No, I think it was so obvious I didn't need to use teal.

Yeah, I think Maggs did get that deflected hit..my bad..but he didn't homer.. :o: :smile:

He got a double taken away from him in his second at bat. Ball was tagged to right and RF bounced off the padding hard making the play.

TheBigHurt
03-31-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by bfauble83
Its not football...one game in April doesn't mean that much...(I'll eat crow if we miss the playoffs by one game). There are still 161 games to right the ship.

CROW?????????or do i wanna know

BE GOOD ((((((((enough to win at least)))))) :)

GASHWOUND
03-31-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
He got a double taken away from him in his second at bat. Ball was tagged to right and RF bounced off the padding hard making the play.

Manos also hit some balls hard, and yeah..when I saw that I thought to myself.. We're hittin bullets off this guy, just a matter of time before we get to him...Uhh..nope :gulp:

czalgosz
03-31-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I agree, I hate losing to KC let alone getting shutout. I could have accepted the loss had the Sox played good ball, but this was the same garbage against no-name pitchers on a no-name team.

I thought the Sox played pretty well. They actually played good defense for the most part (a rarity for the Sox) and Thomas and Ordonez both looked good at the plate, even if it didn't translate.

And if Hernandez is a no-name, don't expect him to be for long. He's never going to be great, but he'll make Royals fans forget about Paul Byrd.

duke of dorwood
03-31-2003, 06:28 PM
This post is great comic relief. That KC team was riding a Spring Training high. Most experienced fans know how much that means.

RedPinStripes
03-31-2003, 06:31 PM
:chickenlittle

I was aiting for that tag. But i wave another good one that fits the title of this thread...........

:threadsucks

Lip Man 1
03-31-2003, 06:33 PM
Well.....

Nobody expected them to go 162-0 but today was pretty terrible. Cubs win, Twins win...Sox look miserable.

The Sox should have done everybody (including themselves) a favor by by staying in the hotel and forfeiting (maybe traveling all over the place the last few days to make Uncle Jerry more money tired them out.)

Seriously this looked like an exact copy of most of last season.

* The Sox seemed to have no clue hitting wise, getting manhandled by a "no name" pitcher (How come our "can't miss kids" never perform like that?)

* You had a guy throw out at the plate (big surprise...)

* You had "little things" that cost the Sox a run (passed ball, wild pitch in the 8th inning)

Same old garbage. It's pretty embarassing when you get shut out by one of the worst teams in baseball. (Still think the Sox are going to run wild the first month?)

Sigh...seasons change but the Sox don't.

Lip

dougs78
03-31-2003, 06:44 PM
posted by you know who...

Same old garbage. It's pretty embarassing when you get shut out by one of the worst teams in baseball. (Still think the Sox are going to run wild the first month?)

Yep...as a matter of fact I still do. Check back in a week or so.

FarWestChicago
03-31-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sigh...seasons change but the Sox don't.

Lip Ahhh, nobody can give up, bail or cave like the Lip. You are in a league by yourself, a true artist. :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
This post is great comic relief. That KC team was riding a Spring Training high. Most experienced fans know how much that means.

LOL!

The way the Royals were prancing around the infield high-fiving one another, I could have sworn I had just witnessed Game 7 of the World Series.

The 2000 Sox look pathetic in their first two games at Texas, won the next two games and went on an unholy tear the rest of the month. I remember quite a few Detroit Tigers getting several bruises before it was over, too.

Hey, maybe we ought to start a few fights, eh!

:garner
"Laugh if you want, but dime store motivational techniques always worked GREAT for my teams in Milwaukee and Detroit! Well okay, maybe not."

:gulp:

sox_fan_forever
03-31-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Hey, maybe we ought to start a few fights, eh!

I'm looking forward to the one on April 25th. :D:

Seriously though, after reading what some of you have said I wish I hadn't turned the channel immediately after the game ended. I would have liked to see the Royals celebrating so I could laugh. I probably would be feeling a lot better now if I had. Oh well...

Lip Man 1
03-31-2003, 07:13 PM
West:

With respect you obviously haven't read the thread entitled "Why can't we hit bad pitching..."

A LOT of pissed off Sox fans today.

It would be wrong to say that "I'm panicking or bailing" My concern is (and I pointed this out) that I see the same mistakes being made like last season.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall you joining us "bailers" in June when the Sox looked deader then road kill.

I guess if you want to be totally accurate, I saw the same garbage today that I've seen in four out of the last six years (that happens to coincide with Manager Gandhi's tenure...)

Lip

LuvSox
03-31-2003, 07:28 PM
On the lighter side, did the Royals get a look at those uniforms BEFORE they took the field today or did the UPS truck pull up at game time? Those look like crap, especially that tight shirt Hernandez had on underneath. I think it was supposed to be mesh.......

MRKARNO
03-31-2003, 07:40 PM
The soc will go 0-162, not scoring a run the whole season. The cubs will go 162-0 and Corey patterson will win the triple crown

Honestly, I had a Cubs fan tell me today that if baseball had gone on strike during the 7th inning of the Cubs game, that Corey Patterson would have had the triple crown.

:thankgod

Hangar18
03-31-2003, 07:59 PM
They Looked very flat today....some bad baserunning, situational hitting was mediocre, pitching was ok, sprinkle an error and a couple of passed balls, a lucky hit, and Presto!@ a sox loss. I was getting mad watching it. they shouldve waited this pitcher out. The royals were like 18-7 in spring training, so I dont know what water they were drinking. Im Thinking I dont like Jerry Manuel too much anymore, if were going to lose, lets lose to a team that deserved to win the game. This game was winnable easily enough, think Id like to see a little more "fire" out of these guys, thats all. But Hey...tomorrows another game and they get tomorrow Off to think about it. I wouldve been pissed to see KC jumping around like that after the game, lets get Fired Up.
and on another note....TOMORROWS papers are going to have Full COlor giant lead stories with pictures of Corey Patterson all over the pages. watch.

DustyIsOverated1
03-31-2003, 08:09 PM
I was totally kidding about that.... I posted it when I left work and when I got home--BAM! couldn't belive what I saw, I must have screwed up the color...sorry.

seriously, this is cracking me up right now!!!!!! :)

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2003, 08:11 PM
I was totally kidding about that.... I posted it when I left work and when I got home--BAM! couldn't belive what I saw, I must have screwed up the color...sorry.

seriously, this is cracking me up right now!!!!!!

Your intended sarcasm will come as crushing news to Lip!

:)

valposoxfan
03-31-2003, 08:13 PM
Alright everyone it's true the Sox looked pretty dreary today, and Lip you are right when you say they were a lot of pissed off Sox fans on the thread today, me being one of them. But guys and girls, please don't quit now. I hope all the players saw the Royals jumping around like a Little League team and it makes them kind of angry. Jerry could have maybe put in some pinch hitters but he's getting paid to win and we sit here and criticize. If he doesn't get it done this year he's done so for today and tomorrow take solace in that. I'm not panicking yet. The offense is good, we had our opportunities. It was a close play at the plate with Thomas and who knows what happens if he is a split second earlier. Buehrle struggled and still only gave up two runs in seven innings. Take it easy everyone. It's a long damn season.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by valposoxfan
...I hope all the players saw the Royals jumping around like a Little League team and it makes them kind of angry....

:jerry
"If I were Tony Pena, I would need an entire bus to stop by Dairy Queen and pass out cones to all my little champs!"

:gulp:

OEO Magglio
03-31-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm just gonna try and make this look good some how, look at the last two years, we won both times on opening day and look how the seasons turned out, so hopefully since we lost on opening day, we'll have a great year, but anyways today still sucked!!!!!!!!!

and the sox also lost in 2000 on opening day.

hsnterprize
03-31-2003, 08:43 PM

Yipes!!!!! Are we going to have to put a suicide watch on you? Look...even the BEST teams only win between 95 to 110 games out of a 162 game season. Take a few "chill pills" and relax, partner. It's gonna be okay.

hsnterprize
03-31-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
The soc will go 0-162, not scoring a run the whole season. The cubs will go 162-0 and Corey patterson will win the triple crown

Honestly, I had a Cubs fan tell me today that if baseball had gone on strike during the 7th inning of the Cubs game, that Corey Patterson would have had the triple crown.

:thankgod

Back in 1989 (I think), Karl "Tuffy" Rhodes hit 3 home runs as the Cubs beat the Mets on opening day. What's happened to him since then? Lemme know when you figure that out...

I'll give Corey credit for a good game today. Whether or not he's able to sustain his success remains to be seen, so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in his work this afternoon. The first time he goes 0 for 3 with 3 strikeouts, the Flubbie fans who are praising his name today will call for his head.

WinningUgly!
03-31-2003, 08:58 PM
Everybody calm the hell down! You are all acting like today was opening day or something. Big deal...we lost the last spring training game. Colon's on the mound tomorrow to kick off the season....huh? What's that? Today was what?
SON OF A...!!!!!!
:)

longshot7
03-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
You're joking right? Please tell me you just forgot the teal. It is Opening Day! It's one game. The Angels lost their first game last year and look what they did.

they started the year 6-14 and people were calling for Mike Scioscia's head. They needed to find their feet and so do we.

longshot7
03-31-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox
On the lighter side, did the Royals get a look at those uniforms BEFORE they took the field today or did the UPS truck pull up at game time? Those look like crap, especially that tight shirt Hernandez had on underneath. I think it was supposed to be mesh.......

that's nothing - have you seen the Blue Jays' new caps? Yikes!

as for Tuffy Rhodes - he's currently tied for the single season home run record - in Japan.

CHISOXFAN13
03-31-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
They Looked very flat today....some bad baserunning, situational hitting was mediocre, pitching was ok, sprinkle an error and a couple of passed balls, a lucky hit, and Presto!@ a sox loss. I was getting mad watching it. they shouldve waited this pitcher out. The royals were like 18-7 in spring training, so I dont know what water they were drinking. Im Thinking I dont like Jerry Manuel too much anymore, if were going to lose, lets lose to a team that deserved to win the game. This game was winnable easily enough, think Id like to see a little more "fire" out of these guys, thats all. But Hey...tomorrows another game and they get tomorrow Off to think about it. I wouldve been pissed to see KC jumping around like that after the game, lets get Fired Up.
and on another note....TOMORROWS papers are going to have Full COlor giant lead stories with pictures of Corey Patterson all over the pages. watch.

Vsahajpal
03-31-2003, 09:30 PM
It's pretty sad when you need that tag on opening day. :o:

heh, Alex Gonzalez drew a walk, maybe the sky is falling!

CHISOXFAN13
03-31-2003, 09:31 PM
Screwed that up, sorry.

Honestly Hangar, what do you expect. The guy had a great game and the Sox lost 3-0. Who cares what's in the paper tomorrow. It's not important.

Juan Pizarro
03-31-2003, 09:37 PM
I love how one microsample of a season grows into "the same old bad baseball."
I don't think you can discount all the Reinsdorf-induced jetting around since Arizona and what that can take out of a team then forced to play an afternoon game.
Tomorrow's day off is the best thing that could happen to them.

LuvSox
03-31-2003, 09:56 PM
If it makes anyone feel better, the Red Sox blew a late 4 run lead to the Devil Rays today. A Boston loss always cheers me up. :)

chisox06
03-31-2003, 11:41 PM

wont even dignify that with a response (oops)

HawkDJ
03-31-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
I love how one microsample of a season grows into "the same old bad baseball."
I don't think you can discount all the Reinsdorf-induced jetting around since Arizona and what that can take out of a team then forced to play an afternoon game.
Tomorrow's day off is the best thing that could happen to them.

Good point, I was worried about that when I saw we were one of the few teams without an off day before our first game. Hopefully we will be refreshed Wednesday. But like has been already mentioned, we lost our first game in 2000 and won our first game in 2001 and 2002..

Lip Man 1
03-31-2003, 11:57 PM
Well since people are grasping at straws today, try this one.

Today's 3-0 debacle shutout is the first time the Sox have been shutout on opening day since 1970 when the Twins obliterated them 12-0.

We saw how that season turned out didn't we?

Lip

pearso66
04-01-2003, 12:33 AM
if you want to know, we weren't the only team to be shut out, nor did buehrly pitch all that bad, the Diamondbacks lost 8-0 with their ace Randy Johnson on the mound. He's not packing in the season just yet. I thought Buehrly looked pretty good, but thats my view. And I believe we have an off day tomorrow, our next game is wednesday

CHISOXFAN13
04-01-2003, 12:35 AM
While I wish we didn't play Sunday, I do seem to recall an exhibition game last year on the Sunday before the opener at Seattle. We did ok in that one.

Let's stop making excuses and give the kid from KC a little credit. He had decent mumbers last year in a limited role and has good stuff.

37 hours til Game 2.

gosox41
04-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
Good point, I was worried about that when I saw we were one of the few teams without an off day before our first game. Hopefully we will be refreshed Wednesday. But like has been already mentioned, we lost our first game in 2000 and won our first game in 2001 and 2002..

Past performance does not influence future gains.

The Sox sucked on Monday. I'm pissed about it. KC is a bad team. Sure it's only 1 game but I think Sox fans are frustrated with the constant underacheiving. Sure it's one loss now and there's no need to make changes. But it is nice to turn up the fire on management and the players now and voice our displeasure.

The funny thing is when the Sox had their 2001 and 2002 tailspins that put them out of the pennant race, everyone was like it';s just one game, or it's just a 3 game losing streak etc. The problem is before you know it things spin out of control with this team.

Remember 2001. At one point they were a few games under .500 and I'mreading how's it's early, etc. 3 weeks later the team is 14-29 and realistically out of it. This is what needs to be avoided but for some reason Jerry and his crew always get caught in a tailspin that they can't right themselves out of.

Bob

34 Inch Stick
04-02-2003, 11:15 AM
A little perspective 1/162 of a season is equal to 0.6% of a season. Personally, I refuse to panick until a full 1% of a season is played.

I am pissed though because I took the Sox -170. I am going to do the same thing today with confidence.

harwar
04-02-2003, 11:52 AM
When i was looking thru the schedule a few weeks ago i had a real bad feeling about today. Once again,we are flying all over the country playing exibition games the day before opening day.That just doesn't make any sense.The Sox looked tired to me.I think we will see a totally different White Sox today.