PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we hit bad pitching?

Blueprint1
03-31-2003, 03:51 PM
Just a question i thought i would throw out there. I can't watch the game but im sure the hawk is saying, "This kid has great stuff today"

thecell
03-31-2003, 03:52 PM
He's going through our order for the 2nd time now. This is when we'll start to get to him...patience my friend, patience.

SpringfldFan
03-31-2003, 04:09 PM
Looks like our team accidentally boarded the Cubs plane out of Arizona and vice-versa. They have already hung a couple touchdowns on the Mets.

LT

A.T. Money
03-31-2003, 04:10 PM
We're not even working this guy. We're up there hacking at the 1st and 2nd pitch. This guy is cruisin along.

A.T. Money
03-31-2003, 04:14 PM
I can't remember the last time Buehrle walked more than 3 guys in one game.

thecell
03-31-2003, 04:16 PM
me neither, he has gone deep into the count quite a bit as well

baggio202
03-31-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by SpringfldFan
Looks like our team accidentally boarded the Cubs plane out of Arizona and vice-versa. They have already hung a couple touchdowns on the Mets.

LT

gee, cub fans will want to order world series tickets tomorrow :D:

Brian26
03-31-2003, 04:21 PM
This is classic Sox baseball ever since 2000. Is Cy Magnate on the Royals now?

RKMeibalane
03-31-2003, 04:23 PM
What is going on? This is not what anyone expected to see today. No one seems to be willing to take a walk.

SpringfldFan
03-31-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
gee, cub fans will want to order world series tickets tomorrow :D:

Them and these KC fans. I wonder what the KC boards are saying right now with the Royals winning the S.T. title and so far shutting down the division favorites when it counts.

Gotta love opening day :-)

RKMeibalane
03-31-2003, 04:26 PM
This game wouldn't bother me as much, but the Twins have already won, so the Sox need to win to keep pace.

SpringfldFan
03-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
This is classic Sox baseball ever since 2000. Is Cy Magnate on the Royals now?

I just don't want to hear that %^&* again saying "just wait till June when the weather and Sox bats start heating up".

hold2dibber
03-31-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
This game wouldn't bother me as much, but the Twins have already won, so the Sox need to win to keep pace.

That should have been in teal, right?

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 04:31 PM
I can't watch the game, but I'm really pissed at the way the Sox bats have not shown up. Yeah, it's Just One Game, but the symbolic value of a big win here would be huge: an "easy" opponent, first game of the year, and keeping pace with the Twinks, who also faced an easy ALC team. The Sox just have not shown up for big games very much since July/August 2000. We have 3 more innings to score at least 2; I want to see the big boys (Frank, Maggs, Konerko) step up here.

LuvSox
03-31-2003, 04:33 PM
You guys see the highlights of KW? He was arrogant then too.

SpringfldFan
03-31-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane

Lets see, if the Sox lose, that means that if the Twins just play .500 ball the Sox are going to have to really tear it up and play at least 1 game over! Man these pennant races get stressful! :D:

hold2dibber
03-31-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox

The highlights of KW doing what, when?

RKMeibalane
03-31-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by LuvSox

I saw that. He's an idiot.

CHISOXFAN13
03-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Horrible inning. Konerko is awfu today, and Lee is worse. Hit a damn fly ball.

valposoxfan
03-31-2003, 04:39 PM
I'm about to turn the game off. No heart in this team today.

SoxxoS
03-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Very, very lackluster effort thusfar. Very disappointing.
1. Cubs up 15-2
2. The choice hits a 3-run blast
3. The twins won
4. We can't hit average pitching like the past two years.

I skipped class for this crap?

(I would take this to chat, however, I can't sign in.)

baggio202
03-31-2003, 04:42 PM
here some more good news...royce clayton with a 3 run homer already....does it get any better than this??? :(:

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by baggio202
here some more good news...royce clayton with a 3 run homer already....does it get any better than this??? :(:

It has to, Baggs, it has to.

Burly's pitched pretty well...sux to see a good effort wasted like this, what with the untimely Ks, FCs, etc.

RKMeibalane
03-31-2003, 04:47 PM
The Sox didn't show up today. This looks a lot like the crap we saw last season.

pudge
03-31-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Very, very lackluster effort thusfar. Very disappointing.
1. Cubs up 15-2
2. The choice hits a 3-run blast
3. The twins won
4. We can't hit average pitching like the past two years.

I skipped class for this crap?

(I would take this to chat, however, I can't sign in.)

Yeah, I skipped work for this game, I feel like an idiot. Same crap as last year, we'll score 17 runs the next game and then 1 run the game after that. This team is still frustrating.

RKMeibalane
03-31-2003, 04:51 PM
Jerry "The Tinkerer" Manuel will use this performance as an excuse to change the lineup around for Wednesday's game.

hold2dibber
03-31-2003, 04:55 PM
Manuel has already pissed me off. Right handed pitching Grimsley on the hill in the 8th. With 20 HR/70 RBI/left-handed hitting Brian Daubach (not to mention Rios) sitting on the bench, Manuel lets Rowand and Alomar bat. Why wouldn't you hit Daubach here, if not for Rowand, at least in place of Alomar?

baggio202
03-31-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
It has to, Baggs, it has to.

Burly's pitched pretty well...sux to see a good effort wasted like this, what with the untimely Ks, FCs, etc.

its getting worse cheeser....lofton hit a 3 run homer , liefer is 2-2 with 4 rbi...

baggio202
03-31-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Manuel has already pissed me off. Right handed pitching Grimsley on the hill in the 8th. With 20 HR/70 RBI/left-handed hitting Brian Daubach (not to mention Rios) sitting on the bench, Manuel lets Rowand and Alomar bat. Why wouldn't you hit Daubach here, if not for Rowand, at least in place of Alomar?

thinking the same thing myself....daubach will probably end up with as many at bats as liefer did last year :whiner:

FanOf14
03-31-2003, 04:57 PM
I waited all winter for this kind of effort?! Bah! I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come. This has to be the worst opening day in a few years (the Choice showing up, twins win, scrubbies pound their opponent, Cleveland is winning at last peek)... :whiner:

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14
I waited all winter for this kind of effort?! Bah! I really hope this isn't a sign of things to come. This has to be the worst opening day in a few years (the Choice showing up, twins win, scrubbies pound their opponent, Cleveland is winning at last peek)... :whiner:

Don't forget this stellar inning by "phenom" Tom Gordon!

sox_fan_forever
03-31-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by FanOf14

I'm with you. I was all pumped up for today and now I just want it to end. It seems like nothing has gone right today. Not only are the Sox doing horribly, but it doen't seem like one other game since the season started last night has gone the way I wanted it to.

LuvSox
03-31-2003, 05:10 PM
The highlights of KW doing what, when? They showed highlights of an opening day in the 80's. KW hit a homer and later scored the winning run. He trotted around the bases like he was Hank Aaron.

RKMeibalane
03-31-2003, 05:14 PM
This was a bad game. Period. The next game is Wednesday.

czalgosz
03-31-2003, 05:18 PM

KW tied Manuel's hands on Rowand - he doesn't have abody else who can play center.

There's no reason that Alomar should ever bat after the 6th inning unless the game's a blowout. That did piss me off. With two lefty bats and two backup catchers, there's just no reason for Alomar to face Grimsley.

Other than that, you just have to tip your hat to Runelvys Hernandez. He's actually good, and the Royals have a credible bullpen. They still haven't found anyone who can get good lefthanded hitters out, but that's not an issue with the White Sox, especially if Manuel refuses to pinch-hit.

On the positive end, the Sox have now lost 2 of their last 6 opening days. The last one the Sox lost? 2000.

valposoxfan
03-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Well that was a waste of time. The kind of effort that makes a Sox fan wonder if the team even cares. Supposedly, one of the best offenses in league gets shutout by a bunch of minor leaguers. It just sucks that there is so much excitement for this team and it didn't seem like the team was very motivated to play today. Just kind of frustrating. What makes it even more frustrating is the fact that we have to wait until Wednesday to try and turn it around. But don't pack it in. El Savior goes for us Wednesday. In 2000 the Sox started 0 - 2 then won 16 of their next 19..........
:hitless You could have used those three runs today huh??

czalgosz
03-31-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Don't forget this stellar inning by "phenom" Tom Gordon!

If Alomar still had any mobility, the Royals wouldn't have scored. Expect more games like this until the Sox get Alomar off the team.

jeremyb1
03-31-2003, 05:30 PM
well this thread seems to have departed from where it began but to answer the initial question: i think the sox problem with bad pitchers has to do with plate discipline. a lot of our guys today were letting hernandez throw the first pitch strike every time and then swinging at pitches in the dirt. maybe he was just fooling them but i wasn't encouraged by our selectivity today aside from frank.

Procol Harum
03-31-2003, 05:32 PM
Besides all of the other crap today, we had the spectacle of Big Frank exploding our one offensive opportunity of the day by going home when he should've held. One upside today, we did see some good glove work and fundamental defense from Jimenez, Rowand and Crede.

sox_fan_forever
03-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
On the positive end, the Sox have now lost 2 of their last 6 opening days. The last one the Sox lost? 2000.

That does make me feel a little bit better. I was planning on looking that up, but you have saved me the trouble. Thank you very much. :D:

maurice
03-31-2003, 05:35 PM
Why wouldn't you hit Daubach here, if not for Rowand, at least in place of Alomar?

That's good ol' JM holding to form. Barring a trade, it looks like Daubach is going to rot on the bench this year, just as we feared.

Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Konerko is awful today . . . .

Gotta love his great situational hitting.

The negatives in this game are too numerous to count, so here are a few positives:
- Frank had good ABs
- MB turned it around after a shakey start
- Crash had an OF assist
- 161 regular-season games left

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
If Alomar still had any mobility, the Royals wouldn't have scored. Expect more games like this until the Sox get Alomar off the team.

I was following the game on Yahoo Gamechannel, so it's difficult to assess what happens sometimes. All I saw was "WP."

ssang
03-31-2003, 05:40 PM
It all comes down to pitch selection and the White Sox are horrendous at it! I can't take another season of stupidity at the plate. Didn't they learn anything from last year? Did the coaches ever look at any tape and notice that we swung at 1st picth balls in the dirst on a consistent basis? I know it's the first game of a tremendously long season, but if this is a sign of things to come.....I'm throwing my mother f...ing TV through the damned window! And after that I'm gonna throw my girlfriend out the window too! (She's a Cub fan)

duke of dorwood
03-31-2003, 05:45 PM
After we hit the ball hard the first inning, we seemed to stop going with the pitches. AND Burly-man had that Berger struck out in the second and didnt get the call their pitcher got all day. That would have changed that inning around. Lots of high strikes granted to him.

I got laid off to watch this, dont feel bad.

TheBigHurt
03-31-2003, 05:51 PM
I really do hope Daubach gets some starts and some late Pinch Hits

czalgosz
03-31-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by sox_fan_forever
That does make me feel a little bit better. I was planning on looking that up, but you have saved me the trouble. Thank you very much. :D:

Actually, I was off - The Sox have now lost 2 of their last 7 opening days.

1996 (Sox lose 3-2 in 12 innings to Seattle; winning pitcher Hurtado, losing pitcher Simas) (final record - 85-77)

1997 (Sox win 6-5 against Toronto; winning pitcher Castillo, losing pitcher Plesac) (final record - 80-81)

1998 (Sox win 9-2 against Texas; winning pitcher Navarro, losing pitcher Burkett) (final record - 80-82)

1999 (Sox win 8-2 against Seattle; winning pitcher Baldwin, losing pitcher Fassero) (final record - 75-86)

2000 (Sox lose 10-4 to Texas; winning pitcher Rogers, losing pitcher Sirotka) (final record - 95-67)

2001 (Sox win 7-4 against Cleveland; winning pitcher Wells, losing pitcher Colon) (final record - 83-79)

2002 (Sox win 6-5 against Seattle; winning pitcher Buerhle, losing pitcher Garcia) (final record - 81-81)

It almost seems that winning on opening day is a bad omen for the Sox in recent years. So I say, "Hurrah for losing opening day!"

SoxxoS
03-31-2003, 06:26 PM
And if the team isn't fired up for opening day, isn't that a direct effect of the manager? This team was as flat as a 7 day old open Pepsi.

jeremyb1
03-31-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Besides all of the other crap today, we had the spectacle of Big Frank exploding our one offensive opportunity of the day by going home when he should've held. One upside today, we did see some good glove work and fundamental defense from Jimenez, Rowand and Crede.

that's such a terible argument. we put five baserunners on the entire day and frank accounted for three of them. now you're going to blame him for the game because he was thrown out at third?

first of all it was a close play. second of all, that play was followed by two k's meaning he woudln't have scored anyways. third of all we lost by three runs. i hate the fact that we'll completely fall on our faces offensively and then instead of blaming our loss on our lack of hitting people will find minor aspects of the game where we could have scored one run and place the blame there. we had three hits against the royals, franks baserunning had nothing to do with it.

Lip Man 1
03-31-2003, 06:55 PM
The Sox are streaky hitters because they have NO plate discipline.

They have no plate discipline because the organization has been preaching for the last three years that to win, the Sox have to score a lot of runs (because they won't go out and buy quality starting pitchers in quantity).

When you get into that mindset you swing at everything hoping to drive out two or three home runs a game.

That obviously hasn't worked.

"It's time" the Sox go back to what made them great. Pitching, pitching, pitching, situational hitting, defense and speed.

Knowing most of the games you play are going to be in the four runs or less variety makes you disciplined in a hurry (or else you wind up back in the minor leagues.)

Just my opinion. It might be worth a try since the hammer away philosophy hasn't done squat.

Lip

Shoeless Joe
03-31-2003, 11:46 PM
When will the Sox learn that getting on base by any means will get you some runs. Get some dang walks guys! Frank was one of the few Sox players who showed up to play. And to get out-pitched by Elvis is a conundrum by itself.

A.T. Money
04-02-2003, 03:49 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread for obvious reasons. Is there a reason we can't hit the ball now today?!?!?!?!?

Why is it that KC always seem to give us hell?

TheBigHurt
04-02-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon

Why is it that KC always seem to give us hell?

DONT know but i am getting furious :angry: :angry: :angry: