PDA

View Full Version : Fabulous Mariotti Column

Lip Man 1
03-31-2003, 09:46 AM
Another stake has been driven into the hearts of those who feel Jay Mariotti is totally, and completely "anti" everything involved with the White Sox.

Those folks probably won't want to read his column today!

For the rest of us, I recommend it highly. The only folks who are going to be upset at him today reside on the North Side.

Play Ball!

Lip

A.T. Money
03-31-2003, 10:10 AM
He finally speaks the truth.

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 10:16 AM
I'll just quote the most pertinent point of the article, big enough so that even a drunk Flubbie fan can read it:

Sox fans are better than Cubs fans.

Woohoo!

:gulp: :gulp:

voodoochile
03-31-2003, 10:17 AM
Here's a link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/spx-news-jay31.html)

Jay finally gets it right...

Iwritecode
03-31-2003, 10:54 AM
(Looks at can of Mountain Dew sitting on desk)
What the heck is in this stuff??? I had horrible dream that the Moron actually wrote 2 decent articles about the Sox within one week!

Of course I noticed he still has to take the cheap shots at the name of the park and actually had the nerve to call the two drunk morons that attacked the Royals coach “Sox fans”. Other than that, not bad. This will surely steam more than a few northside fans.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that… :)

Nixey 02
03-31-2003, 10:55 AM
Hell, has indeed frozen over. And on opening day, no less!

:cool:

thecell
03-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Where is the real Jay Mariotti and what have you done with him?!

PaleHoseGeorge
03-31-2003, 11:31 AM
It seems like Jay hit on all the major themes we've been writing about and talking about here at WSI for the last 4+ years. I can't help but think he did some heavy borrowing from the main page and the Sox Clubhouse discussion. His column reads like something I would have written--back in 1999! Like this, for example. (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/Welcome.htm)

Either Jay has spent the last five years:

1.) Denying (and hiding from public view) the reality even he has known to be true about Sox fandom,

OR

2.) Somebody finally tipped him off and sent his internet browser surfing in this direction.

Which one was it?
:gulp:

:moron
"Plagiarism is such an ugly word!"

hold2dibber
03-31-2003, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Here's a link (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/spx-news-jay31.html)

Jay finally gets it right...

Wow. I don't know what else to say. That's about the most accurate recitation of the division between Sox and Cubs fans that I've seen in mainstream media. I'm shocked. He nailed it. Way to go Jay!

sox_fan_forever
03-31-2003, 12:40 PM
Oh my...I don't know what to say. That's the first column of his that I have read in a couple of years because I just couldn't take it anymore. I agree with whoever asked where the "real" Jay Mariotti is. I didn't know he was capable of writing something like this. Wow.

hsnterprize
03-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
He finally speaks the truth.

I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't believe it. Jay Mariotti actually says something GOOD about our team and us fans. I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give the devil his due in this case. Now let's really show him what real baseball fans can be like. Let's support our team, but let's send the message that if the Sox slack off, we won't take it. It's as simple as that.

SoxxoS
03-31-2003, 12:55 PM
How many of you guys thought the title of the thread "Fabulous Jay Mariotti column" was an oxy-moron of the higest sort?

My respect inched up a tad for Mariotti after than column.

doublem23
03-31-2003, 01:13 PM
Jay Mariotti = Bandwagon-jumping idiot

Foulke You
03-31-2003, 01:27 PM
Did anyone see the priceless picture used with the print version of this article? It was great. An idiot Flubs fan adorned with Flub jersey holding up a sign that said "Will trade Cubs wins for Sammy homers!" and the woman had this $#!t eating grin on her face. Perfect picture to drive the point home. :D:

Nice article, Jay. I never thought I'd say that.

soxnut
03-31-2003, 02:06 PM
It was a good article and even true. And he did generalize a little as well as some folks do on here. I am a die-hard, but I'm not a chip-on-the-shoulder grump. I enjoy my team and am gut- wrenched when they lose, but I do see silver linings, oh well, I'm just different and independent, I guess :smile: I still don't get the whole ballmall references, especially whith how the park has been looking lately. :(:

Wsoxmike59
03-31-2003, 06:47 PM
I read today's column and about fell out of my chair! I couldn't help but wonder if Jay had indeed been reading some of our posts about him at WSI or maybe the LipMan himself had a little conversation with Jay and asked him to lighten up on the Sox bashing a little.

This column is a total 180 degree turnaround from what he's been writing about the Sox the past several years.

I view today's column by Jay as an olive branch extended to Sox fans that he's alienated over the years. A peace offering if you will.

TommyJohn
03-31-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Another stake has been driven into the hearts of those who feel Jay Mariotti is totally, and completely "anti" everything involved with the White Sox.

Those folks probably won't want to read his column today!

For the rest of us, I recommend it highly. The only folks who are going to be upset at him today reside on the North Side.

Play Ball!

Lip

Bah. You will forgive me for not being one of the converted. So
we're supposed to forget all the Sox and Sox fan bashing he's
done before because of this one "great" article? I'm not buying
it at all. Wait. Give him time. This is just him jumping on a band-
wagon. He's alternated between praising Cub fans and calling them lemmings, too. Another high slide or mockery of Christ
Sosa by the Sox and Jay will be back to form. I remain an un-
converted Jay-basher.

LuvSox
04-01-2003, 08:22 AM
I finally got around to reading it. Yes, it's a good compliment to Sox fans, but it's exactly the same thing we've all been saying for years and years. Did Jay finally pay attention? Don't get too wrapped up in it, he's still a jerk.

Bobby Thigpen
04-01-2003, 08:44 AM
Can we say bandwagon? If the Sox are out of it by July we can count on seeing more of the same bashing from Mariotti that we have come to expect. If we win, we'll be treated to his ugly mug on Around the Horn saying he knew it all along. That is, if Around the Horn is still on the air in November.

voodoochile
04-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
Can we say bandwagon? If the Sox are out of it by July we can count on seeing more of the same bashing from Mariotti that we have come to expect. If we win, we'll be treated to his ugly mug on Around the Horn saying he knew it all along. That is, if Around the Horn is still on the air in November.

Yeah, woe be the team and fans who let Jay down after he walked out onto the ice for once in his life...