PDA

View Full Version : The CUBS will win the NL Central

koch44
03-30-2003, 06:18 PM
According to Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight the Cubs will win 25 more games because of their pitching. Has he forgotten the fact that you also have to a good offense to win? He also gave his speech about how great the Twins are. :angry: :angry:
I wonder if he's been drinking too much? :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

RKMeibalane
03-30-2003, 06:29 PM
Both the Cubs and Twins have a certain amount of the color "red" in their uniforms and logos. Gammons picked them for this reason, because seeing that color reminds him of his beloved Red Sox.

GASHWOUND
03-30-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by koch44
According to Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight the Cubs will win 25 more games because of their pitching. Has he forgotten the fact that you also have to a good offense to win? He also gave his speech about how great the Twins are. :angry: :angry:

Yeah, I saw that.. EVERYONE is going Ga-Ga for those damn twinkies...it's sickening:chunks

mac9001
03-30-2003, 06:51 PM
Is it possible that Peter Gammons has gone completely crazy? Maybe Alzheimer's is kicking it?

guillen4life13
03-30-2003, 06:52 PM
Let Gammons and all of the other reporters on the national circuit pick the Twins, and not give the Sox their deserved respect. Watch them say, "I saw it all along, I knew this would happen." when the Sox make the Playoffs and the Twins are going home.

GASHWOUND
03-30-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Let Gammons and all of the other reporters on the national circuit pick the Twins, and not give the Sox their deserved respect. Watch them say, "I saw it all along, I knew this would happen." when the Sox make the Playoffs and the Twins are going home.

Yeah, that's what I said earlier today..When we do win, it will be that much sweeter.

But everyone is making me hate the twins that much more :angry:

Randar68
03-30-2003, 07:04 PM
According to Peter Gammons on Baseball Tonight the Cubs will win 25 more games because of their pitching. Has he forgotten the fact that you also have to a good offense to win?

The thing that cracks me up is losing Lieber and nobody has said a peep about that. He was the only proven and durable pitcher the Cubs have had in 5 years.

Suddenly they are dramatically improved??? *****, give me a break.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-30-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
The thing that cracks me up is losing Lieber and nobody has said a peep about that. He was the only proven and durable pitcher the Cubs have had in 5 years.

Suddenly they are dramatically improved??? *****, give me a break.

Exactly. It's times like these that I scratch my head and wonder if I can believe any of the "expert" opinions from people so obviously clueless about something the rest of us KNOW they got wrong.

Gammons is a joke.

:boston
"Oh, yeah? How much are they payin' you for that WSI gig? I'm laughing all the way to the bank!!!"

NewyorkSoxFan
03-30-2003, 08:05 PM
ESPN was really making me sick tonight. However they didn't even pick the Angels to get back to the playoffs so I guess I shouldn't get so pissed for not picking the Sox.

Besides, I like our team laying in the weeds. Give it all to the Twins and everybody else, lets do our talking when we make like Bobby D. when he played Al Capone with the bat to the back of the guys head. I'll bet that will get everybody attention.

NYSF :angry:

guillen4life13
03-30-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by NewyorkSoxFan
ESPN was really making me sick tonight. However they didn't even pick the Angels to get back to the playoffs so I guess I shouldn't get so pissed for not picking the Sox.

Besides, I like our team laying in the weeds. Give it all to the Twins and everybody else, lets do our talking when we make like Bobby D. when he played Al Capone with the bat to the back of the guys head. I'll bet that will get everybody attention.

NYSF :angry:

You say it man! :gulp:

Kroozah
03-30-2003, 09:06 PM
The only comment made of the Sox, was when Harold Reynolds metioned "the only reason he doesn't pick the Sox to win is because no one can field the ball"

dougs78
03-30-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
[B]Exactly. It's times like these that I scratch my head and wonder if I can believe any of the "expert" opinions from people so obviously clueless about something the rest of us KNOW they got wrong.

Gammons is a joke.

So true George, so true. However, its more than just Gammons unfortunately. Check out this link (http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2003/preview03/predictions.html) and see how the rest of the jokers on ESPN predict the season to turn out. 6 predict a cubs divsion title...4 predict Prior for the NL Cy Young. You've really got to be kidding me. I completely can't see where anyone can predict the Cubs to win that division. And I know Prior is a great pitcher, or at least can be, but my god, at what point does it become ridiculous when guys like Randy, Maddux, and Schilling are still in the league? Come one.

On a positive note I did see the White Sox (12 times), Colon (1), Buehrle (1) and Ordonez (2) on there...so that makes me like Dibble, Rogers, Jeff Brantley and a few others. :smile:

jeremyb1
03-30-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Kroozah
The only comment made of the Sox, was when Harold Reynolds metioned "the only reason he doesn't pick the Sox to win is because no one can field the ball"

analysts love to use terrible logic like that it seems. you have to have good fielding, pitching, and pitching or you can't win which is absurd. reynolds can have the team 10th in baseball in pitching, fielding, and hitting. i'll take the team first in hitting, first in pitching, and 25th in fielding.

cheeses_h_rice
03-30-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Kroozah

:hitless:

Read it and weep, sucka-ass Sox fans! Without me, you are DOOMED!

TheBigHurt
03-30-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
:hitless:

Read it and weep, sucka-ass Sox fans! Without me, you are DOOMED! I know it sucks who the hell is going to make the cluth plays at short this yr????

MRKARNO
03-30-2003, 10:22 PM
First of all, it's nice to know that we have Phil Rogers representing us on the national scene. He was the only one of those "experts" to pick the sox to go to the world series. I did see some Ordoņez for MVP predictions and one Colon and one Buerhle for Cy Young

Second of all, all of the shots they showed on the broadcast were of Jose Valentin. You need to show multiple players to prove such a point, not just the worst.

Vsahajpal
03-30-2003, 11:10 PM
As I Cubs fan, I'm more upset over this than you lot. I mean, when the Cubs limp home with 75 wins this year, will anyone be shocked? No. Yet Cubs fans will face the brunt of the "media hype" crap. I think they build us up, just to tear us down. I mean, can the Cubs even "surprise" this year, when all these clowns label them a "suprise" team? No! It's a lose-lose situation. Which, I guess, is symbolic of the club, hah!

Silly decision on Lieber last two years, they should've dealt him. I actually thought a Carlos Lee for Lieber trade was viable after the 2001 season, damn.

Procol Harum
03-31-2003, 10:24 AM
:boston

Surprisingly for a team with a navy blue motif, the Brewers have made THE key move in this past off-season...

:hitless

Brew-ahs, Brew-ahs gonna go carpe diem on your butt!

gosox41
03-31-2003, 10:50 AM

I'm surprised he didn't pick the Red Sox to win the NL Central as well as the NL West, NL East, AL Central and AL West.

Bob

DrCrawdad
03-31-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal
As I Cubs fan, I'm more upset over this than you lot. I mean, when the Cubs limp home with 75 wins this year, will anyone be shocked? No. Yet Cubs fans will face the brunt of the "media hype" crap. I think they build us up, just to tear us down. I mean, can the Cubs even "surprise" this year, when all these clowns label them a "suprise" team? No! It's a lose-lose situation. Which, I guess, is symbolic of the club, hah!

Silly decision on Lieber last two years, they should've dealt him. I actually thought a Carlos Lee for Lieber trade was viable after the 2001 season, damn.

The "media hype" regarding the Cubs is no crap. The "media hype" is a fact this season.

As a Cub fan your view is one way, I'll take it another direction. IF the Cubs start winning this year you can bet that the Cubs (players, coaches and especially media-idiots Chip & Ron and Cub fans) will start talking about how no one gave the Cubs a chance.

Interestingly last season Santo made a lot of comments on how the 2002 team was the best Cub team he'd seen. Chip was busy spouting off on how the Cubs were in the race in the mid-to later part of the season when they were 12 games out and in 4th place.

Vsahajpal
03-31-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
The "media hype" regarding the Cubs is no crap. The "media hype" is a fact this season.

As a Cub fan your view is one way, I'll take it another direction. IF the Cubs start winning this year you can bet that the Cubs (players, coaches and especially media-idiots Chip & Ron and Cub fans) will start talking about how no one gave the Cubs a chance.

Interestingly last season Santo made a lot of comments on how the 2002 team was the best Cub team he'd seen. Chip was busy spouting off on how the Cubs were in the race in the mid-to later part of the season when they were 12 games out and in 4th place.

The media hype is crap, the Cubs won't win the Central. But my point was, Cub fans will get the brunt of it, when they finish .500 or worse. The same guys who rail on the media types about their predictions, will make mention of those come October as if they were the gospel.