PDA

View Full Version : Opening Day

Lip Man 1
03-30-2003, 12:30 PM
I have no idea what the weather is supposed to be like in Chicago on Friday (probably lousy) but the Sunday Sun Times says over 7,500 tickets STILL remain for the home opening game!

Considering the off season the Sox had, that's pretty amazing.

No... that's not a shot at Sox fans by the way.

It is another indictment of ownership that has caused a devoted, loyal, knowledgeable fan base to become so jaded and without hope after 22 years of generally incompetent, arrogant, vindictive, fruitless, cheap leadership.

You reap what you sow I guess.

Lip

RKMeibalane
03-30-2003, 12:44 PM
:reinsy

"Amazing. I did all of this in the off-season, but fans still won't come to games. I will never sell this team. Never!"

MetalliSox
03-30-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I have no idea what the weather is supposed to be like in Chicago on Friday (probably lousy) but the Sunday Sun Times says over 7,500 tickets STILL remain for the home opening game!

Lip

Weather report says Sunny and high 60's for Thursday. Oh Hell Yeah!

Jerry_Manuel
03-30-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip

Yep, but the home opener is Friday.

RedPinStripes
03-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

you gonna be able to hang with the big boys Ian? :D:

We would never offer you any lind of liquor since you're under age though. That's not legal.

MetalliSox
03-30-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I meant Friday. My mistake.

Jerry_Manuel
03-30-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

We would never offer you any lind of liquor since you're under age though. That's not legal.

I'm not allowed to comment about such activities at this time.

gosox41
03-30-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip

I assume you mean Friday. If that's the case they will probably get a good walk up crowd. 3:00 on a beautiful Friday afternoon is begging for people to play hooky from work.

Bob

hsnterprize
03-31-2003, 06:37 AM
ALLRIGHT SOX FANS...LISTEN UP!!!

Now that I have your attention, I just thought I'd ask flat-out...who is going to be at U.S. Cellular Field this Friday when the White Sox open the home portion of this new season. I know I'll be there, and to tell you the truth, I'd love to meet as may WSI contributors as possible. Since I'm in the media, I'll be at the ballpark early. More than likely, I'll be on the field during both teams' batting practice, so if you want to say "hi" to me, look for me. You can send me a private message, and I'll tell you what to look for.

whitesoxwilkes
03-31-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
ALLRIGHT SOX FANS...LISTEN UP!!!

Now that I have your attention, I just thought I'd ask flat-out...who is going to be at U.S. Cellular Field this Friday when the White Sox open the home portion of this new season. I know I'll be there, and to tell you the truth, I'd love to meet as may WSI contributors as possible. Since I'm in the media, I'll be at the ballpark early. More than likely, I'll be on the field during both teams' batting practice, so if you want to say "hi" to me, look for me. You can send me a private message, and I'll tell you what to look for.

I'll be there, but will probably be out in the parking lot for most of BP fighting with Hangar18 over who gets the last beer...I will be in my seats in sec 113 row 11 when the game starts though.

CHISOXFAN13
03-31-2003, 08:18 AM
I don't care who is bitter about the ownership, it's time to get over it and get back to the park.

If people are that fed up, then maybe they should find another team to cheer for. I'm upset about a lot of things that have/haven't happened in the past, but let's be real. People need to start living in the present and thinking about what this team can do in the future.

Hangar18
03-31-2003, 08:43 AM
I'll be there drinking the Last Beer in the Parking Lot.
and my tickets are right behind, 2nd Row behind the Sox Bullpen!!

34 Inch Stick
03-31-2003, 08:49 AM
I'm in the lower part of the upper deck and I will be there with friends and family.

Lip, 7,500 tickets available for opening day is an indictment of the fans. I can understand game 2 or most of the games in April, but this is opening day. It is late Friday afternoon. A person does not even have to really play hookey from work to make it.

hold2dibber
03-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I'm in the lower part of the upper deck and I will be there with friends and family.

Lip, 7,500 tickets available for opening day is an indictment of the fans. I can understand game 2 or most of the games in April, but this is opening day. It is late Friday afternoon. A person does not even have to really play hookey from work to make it.

I have to agree with you here 34". I mean, as much as I dislike ownership, the fact is that they did go out and make a real good effort to put together a winner this offseason. To not sell out opening day I think does not speak well of the many Sox fans (include many I know) that pledge allegiance to the Pale Hose but don't get off their asses and out to the ballpark.

Dadawg_77
03-31-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

No, it is more a indictment of the management of the team. The Sox are a business whose product is baseball team. The management number one job is to sell their product, the Sox havn't done that for a number of years. A great benchmark for baseball management is the group that runs Seattle, they make Gallas and pals look like fools.

You can not blame consumers for not buying the product, only blame company for not selling it probably.

cheeses_h_rice
03-31-2003, 09:31 AM
I guarantee the home opener will sell out. The weather is the key factor here, and everything points to it being unseasonably warm that day.

I am quite looking forward to it!

:gulp:

34 Inch Stick
03-31-2003, 09:53 AM
Dawg, marketing matters for many of the games in the regular season. Games like opening day, the cubs series etc. should sell themselves. You do not have to tell the fans, "remember to come out", because anyone who might attend is aware of the event. Opening Day needs no bells and whistles, it is opening day.

This is a matter of Sox fans simply choosing not to attend. I think it is embarrassing.

steff
03-31-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

LOL... I'll be checking ID's in our group. :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

ewokpelts
03-31-2003, 11:52 AM
Hey,

Those 7500 tix are probably leftovers from any unsold season plans, and what was held for groups. And, they are probably in the upper deck. It's not the end of the world. In 2000, the home opener only had 38,000 there, but that was due to a fireworks night. Those tickets will sell.
Gene

p.s. The Seattle ownership aint that good. They may have a bigger Budget than Uncle Jerry, but they dont spend money when it counts(July 31).

jortafan
03-31-2003, 12:10 PM
The Sox said Monday morning they were down to 6,000 available seats for Friday. That still means they sold just over 40,000 seats, which to me sounds like an excellent crowd.

doogiec
03-31-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

It is another indictment of ownership that has caused a devoted, loyal, knowledgeable fan base to become so jaded and without hope after 22 years of generally incompetent, arrogant, vindictive, fruitless, cheap leadership.

You reap what you sow I guess.

Lip

Opening Day "crowds" in the 20-35,000 range were also very common in the 60's and 70's, guess that must have been Veeck and Allyn's faults also. Attendance has been higher during Reinsdorf's "regime" than during any other in Sox history.

Sometime review the history of Sox attendance and show me which pre-Reinsdorf era team had a "devoted, loyal" fan base that packed the park consistently. It never happened.

BTW, with only 7500 tickets left, I'd bet on a sellout. Always a big walkup crowd on Opening Day.

doogiec
03-31-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
The management number one job is to sell their product, the Sox havn't done that for a number of years. A great benchmark for baseball management is the group that runs Seattle, they make Gallas and pals look like fools.

You can not blame consumers for not buying the product, only blame company for not selling it probably.

As far as I'm concerned, the management's number one job is to put a good team on the field.

The Cubs have used the theory that their number one job is to sell their product, the result has been many 90+ loss seasons.

Foulke You
03-31-2003, 01:17 PM
We had 41,000+ for last year's Opening Day and I believe we will surpass that mark this year. 7500 seats with 5 days before the game is plenty of time to sell. I'm willing to bet there will only be a couple thousand seats available on Opening Day for walkup sales and if the weather is good, expect a capacity crowd of 45,000+ which is 5000 more than the Cubs will get on their opening day. :D:

doublem23
03-31-2003, 01:22 PM
Yeah, but when I tried Ticketmaster for Openign Day tickets the only ones that were available where waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay the **** up in the upper deck.

hsnterprize
03-31-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I have to agree with you here 34". I mean, as much as I dislike ownership, the fact is that they did go out and make a real good effort to put together a winner this offseason. To not sell out opening day I think does not speak well of the many Sox fans (include many I know) that pledge allegiance to the Pale Hose but don't get off their asses and out to the ballpark.

Just like you, I'd love to see a full house at the "Cell" on Friday. The weather isn't looking all that great (as of this afternoon, I saw highs in the mid 60's with rain...but that can change), but that's no excuse for Sox fans not to show up.

I was at opening day last year, and I loved the site of Silver and Black all over the place. If was a site to behold. Truthfully, I'd like to see that every day. I know that won't happen, but to see black and White Sox logos all over the parking lot makes fans like me gleam with pride. Of course there's more to life than baseball, but as a White Sox fan, it makes me feel good to see all the support.

Let's fill up the Cell on Friday, and show everyone who has the best fans in Chicago!!!!!!

Dan H
03-31-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
No, it is more a indictment of the management of the team. The Sox are a business whose product is baseball team. The management number one job is to sell their product, the Sox havn't done that for a number of years. A great benchmark for baseball management is the group that runs Seattle, they make Gallas and pals look like fools.

I totally agree with this sentiment. For too long, Sox fans have been ripped for non-support. The only thing this does is create bad feelings and people are less likely to dig into their pockets when they think their business isn't appreciated. If the Sox continue to improve their ballpark and have a consistent winning team, they can turn this around. But it won't happen if the fans are blamed for a team not going to the World Series in the past four plus decades.