PDA

View Full Version : ? about Borchard

Critque
08-16-2001, 05:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm new here. I have been eavesdropping for the past few months. I finally got the balls to make a post. Anyway,you guys seem like very knowledgeable fans. I saw the report on Kris Honel. I was wondering what is the scouting report on Borchard? I know his league in homers with 20, but how is he adjusting to the way teams are pitching him? How much longer before he is up with the team? Lastly with the emergence of Rowand, what do you feel they will do for him defensively? Thanks!

Daver
08-16-2001, 05:27 PM
Randar can give you a better scouting report,but the numbers i looked at say that he is striking out too much to be seriously considered for a call-up.When Borchard is ready to come up Rowand would be moved to corner out feilder,which is his regular position anyway.

FarWestChicago
08-16-2001, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Critque
Hey guys, I'm new here. I have been eavesdropping for the past few months. I finally got the balls to make a post. Anyway,you guys seem like very knowledgeable fans. I saw the report on Kris Honel. I was wondering what is the scouting report on Borchard? I know his league in homers with 20, but how is he adjusting to the way teams are pitching him? How much longer before he is up with the team? Lastly with the emergence of Rowand, what do you feel they will do for him defensively? Thanks!

Welcome to WSI!! Glad you joined us.

Randar68
08-16-2001, 06:05 PM
Randar can give you a better scouting report,but the numbers i looked at say that he is striking out too much to be seriously considered for a call-up.When Borchard is ready to come up Rowand would be moved to corner out feilder,which is his regular position anyway.

I'm too tired to write it out now, but he still has a bit of a long swing, but it would only benefit him to get some major league at-bats if possible.

K's are overrated if the hitter still takes walks, which Borchard does. His OBP has been .380 plus all year, and that is outstanding for a power hitter, which is what he is.

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2001, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Welcome to WSI!! Glad you joined us.

:MD
"I'm new to!"

Iguana775
08-16-2001, 07:02 PM
i think he has gotten better with his k's as the years gone on. he isnt striking out as much as he was earlier in the year. hopefully, he will be able to keep his strike outs below the century mark each year once he is up with the sox.

Critque
08-17-2001, 08:29 AM
Thsnkyou for the information. But Rowand looks very good in center, and I feel you give him more at bats, he will bring that average up. We all know he has power the balls seems to just jump off his bat, but he needs to be more consistent and bring the S.O. total down. Rander, don't take this wrong, but I wanted to know how do you get all this info on the Sox minor leaguers.l look evrywhere for the info that you give, and I can't seem to find it. Are you plugged?

Randar68
08-17-2001, 09:31 AM
Thsnkyou for the information. But Rowand looks very good in center, and I feel you give him more at bats, he will bring that average up. We all know he has power the balls seems to just jump off his bat, but he needs to be more consistent and bring the S.O. total down. Rander, don't take this wrong, but I wanted to know how do you get all this info on the Sox minor leaguers.l look evrywhere for the info that you give, and I can't seem to find it. Are you plugged?

Well, I have various online resources, all of which I won't reveal, but I also have some contacts within the Sox and 2 other organizations. I have spoken with Several of the Sox scouts and minor league coaches, and also with a counple of guys who run scouting services.

Kilroy
08-17-2001, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
K's are overrated if the hitter still takes walks, which Borchard does. His OBP has been .380 plus all year, and that is outstanding for a power hitter, which is what he is.

I have no problem with the K's, its the 12 errors in CF that Borchard has made so far that bug me. I know he's extremely green, but that bears watching.

rmusacch
08-17-2001, 10:09 AM

Well, I have various online resources, all of which I won't reveal, but I also have some contacts within the Sox and 2 other organizations. I have spoken with Several of the Sox scouts and minor league coaches, and also with a counple of guys who run scouting services.

Why are people so mysterious on here about where they get some of their information? I just don't get it.

harwar
08-17-2001, 10:21 AM
I see a future Sox outfield of Rowand,Ramirez,& Ordonez,left to right.With C.Lee & P.Konerko fighting for 1st & DH.I'm thinking Big Frank might not be able to come back from a whole year off with a major injury with his size & age.Julian Ramirez may still be a couple of years away but i believe hes' going to be something special.I think Borchard is AT LEAST 2 years away from being an everyday big leaguer.

Randar68
08-17-2001, 10:26 AM
I see a future Sox outfield of Rowand,Ramirez,& Ordonez,left to right.With C.Lee & P.Konerko fighting for 1st & DH. I'm thinking Big Frank might not be able to come back from a whole year off with a major injury with his size & age.Julian Ramirez may still be a couple of years away but i believe hes' going to be something special.I think Borchard is AT LEAST 2 years away from being an everyday big leaguer.

1) Frank will be fine, physically, he came back from 2 foot surgeries very well, did he not
2) You're saying Julio Ramirez is more developed than Joe Borchard?? *****!!! Ramirez strikes out at a higher rate with 1/3 the power, and is 24, and has never hit ANYWHERE!!!
3) Well, there is not enough room for everyone, plain and simple. I don't see them DH'ing Konerko and Frank is signed through 2006 at what is essentially a bargain deal. He's the DH through that time, JR would not trade him. PERIOD
4) So, the CF position is between Rowand, Borchard, and Ramirez. Borchard will be given every opportunity next spring, but if he's not ready, I think we all feel pretty comfortable with Rowand out there, even though he has a terrible arm....

Chisoxfn
08-17-2001, 10:45 AM
Well heres the take I have gotten for our future outfield.

I'm sorry to say but either Caballo or Konerko will be dealt if the progress of Rowand and Borchard keeps going as planned. I would put Aaron in center becasue he has looked awesome out there and has no fear, he does it all. The player he truly reminds me of is Jim Edmonds, in the field at least. Then I would put Joe Borchard in right. The guy would become the best defensive rightfielder in the AL if you ask me, with exception to Ichiro. He has a cannon arm so we might as well haev him in the right spot, especially if we have a more capable centerfielder. Then in left, I would move Maggs, this would automaticaly make him one of the best leftfielders in the game and give us possibly the best defensive outfields in baseball. Everyone out there would have cannon arms for their position and it would be very fun to watch. Also at the plate we would have 2 major power, rbi, and avg hitters in Borchard and Maggs. I believe in Rowand we get .290-.310 with 20 homers and around 60-80rbis in the 2hole setting things up for the big guys.

Now the reason I would battle Paulie and Carlos is because unless we would move Carlos to 3rd, they would be the 2 who could play first. I personally still would go with Paulie, he is very clutch and seems to be a great leader, plus Caballo has better trade value and I"m not sure if he really deserves it. Then I would deal Carlos and try to snag a very good shortstop, I'd love Tejada, but I doubt that would be possible.

As far as I'm concerned this would put us in very good shape for the future and anyone who thinks Julio will be anything but a 4th outfielder, didn't watch him hit when he was up with the big club.

harwar
08-17-2001, 11:00 AM

1) Frank will be fine, physically, he came back from 2 foot surgeries very well, did he not
2) You're saying Julio Ramirez is more developed than Joe Borchard?? *****!!! Ramirez strikes out at a higher rate with 1/3 the power, and is 24, and has never hit ANYWHERE!!!
3) Well, there is not enough room for everyone, plain and simple. I don't see them DH'ing Konerko and Frank is signed through 2006 at what is essentially a bargain deal. He's the DH through that time, JR would not trade him. PERIOD
4) So, the CF position is between Rowand, Borchard, and Ramirez. Borchard will be given every opportunity next spring, but if he's not ready, I think we all feel pretty comfortable with Rowand out there, even though he has a terrible arm.... I guess we'll see whos right laughing boy.I think Ramirez is going to be a fantastic CF and comparing big franks foot surgery with his arm surgery is ludicrous.When he went down there were doctors on the record that said they couldn't remember a guy coming back easily from the kind of injury he has.