PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating GM (Beane) Article

soxtalker
03-29-2003, 06:41 PM
In NY Time Magazine Section

Registration is required. The article is very long (maybe
10 pages), and I've only made it about half-way
through myself, but it is very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/magazine/30BASEBALL.html

kermittheefrog
03-29-2003, 09:37 PM
I think the most interesting part of that article is the emphasis on how Beane's negotiating skills are just as important as his statistical edge. Makes you wonder if a guy like JP Ricciardi or Theo Epstein is the kind of negociator it takes to win.

guillen4life13
03-29-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by soxtalker
In NY Time Magazine Section

Registration is required. The article is very long (maybe
10 pages), and I've only made it about half-way
through myself, but it is very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/magazine/30BASEBALL.html

Great article- this guy is a genius. I only wish KW could be like him. We wouldn't have a reason to be pissed about the Sox payroll.

Tragg
03-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Beane is successful because he is knowledgable and prepared - he knows the value of all players (or at least he has attached a value to them). This puts Beane ahead of probably 75% of the GMs.
His negotiation skills, at least as presented in this article, aren't terribly impressive. Good negotiators come up with win/win deals - Beane is portrayed as a used car salesman, eager to screw the other guy. Usually, this leads to short term success, but, long term, no one will do business with you (and worse, a boycott or cartel against you). It doesn't appear to be the case for Beane, which suggests either that: a)he is a more honest negotiator than portrayed in this piece or b) baseball GMs are an ignorant lot.
Take KW's Durham trade - I just can't believe that that deal was because of some smooth-talking by Beane; it was so one sided on paper that no talking could have made that seem like a fair deal. I guess KW just wanted to get rid of durham at all costs.

gosox41
03-30-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by guillen4life13
Great article- this guy is a genius. I only wish KW could be like him. We wouldn't have a reason to be pissed about the Sox payroll.

It's good to know that Kenny has made a bunch of deals with Beane, including the latest Koch fiasco.

Bob

gosox41
03-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
Beane is successful because he is knowledgable and prepared - he knows the value of all players (or at least he has attached a value to them). This puts Beane ahead of probably 75% of the GMs.
His negotiation skills, at least as presented in this article, aren't terribly impressive. Good negotiators come up with win/win deals - Beane is portrayed as a used car salesman, eager to screw the other guy. Usually, this leads to short term success, but, long term, no one will do business with you (and worse, a boycott or cartel against you). It doesn't appear to be the case for Beane, which suggests either that: a)he is a more honest negotiator than portrayed in this piece or b) baseball GMs are an ignorant lot.
Take KW's Durham trade - I just can't believe that that deal was because of some smooth-talking by Beane; it was so one sided on paper that no talking could have made that seem like a fair deal. I guess KW just wanted to get rid of durham at all costs.

I like to think the deal happened because KW is an idiot. From a baseball point of view it was a lopsided trade for the A's. They didn't even save that much money because they still paid half of Durham's remaining salary.

Bob

soxtalker
03-30-2003, 05:38 PM
I think that the article does give some idea of why Beane made the Koch trade. He believes that power pitchers are overvalued by his counterparts from other teams; that is, teams are willing to pay more for the power pitcher than he is.

Regarding the Durham trade, I think that's also covered in the article -- to some degree. Beane was in a position to wait until the trade deadline. KW either dealt Durham or faced the prospect of having him walk (or paying him more than KW wanted to) at the end of the year. As I recall, there was a good chance that there wouldn't be any compensation (draft picks), though that eventually was kept by the owners. So, Durham's value had dropped considerably for KW. Did Beane negotiate well -- certainly. But, he was also dealing from strength.

One comment in the article that I found interesting is that Beane feels that defense is something that is also overvalued by his counterparts. That's not to say that he thinks that defense is unimportant. It's just that he feels that people are willing to pay an awful lot for it compared to what it produces. We, of course, don't have much conern there; we've had a porous defense for so many years, I can't remember when it was good.