PDA

View Full Version : "Take Me out to the Ballgame"

czalgosz
03-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Dumped again. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0328/1530827.html) It was kind of annoying the first time, and now they're doing it again?

I watch baseball to escape from the nightly news, not to be reminded of it. I mean, they didn't do it during World War II, why do it now?

TheBigHurt
03-28-2003, 08:29 PM
Speaking of that Thanks to the WSI SOX fight songs i know who started Na Na Na Na hey hey hey Kiss him Good Buy

hsnterprize
03-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Dumped again. (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0328/1530827.html) It was kind of annoying the first time, and now they're doing it again?

I watch baseball to escape from the nightly news, not to be reminded of it. I mean, they didn't do it during World War II, why do it now?

Well...they may not have sang "God Bless Ameirca" during the 7th inning stretch during WWII...they only drafted ball players and made them fight in the war.

Singing "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch isn't all that bad when you consider it's baseball's way to honor the troops in the war. Besides...a few of the troops might actually appreciate it if they see people at the ballpark singing along and showing support for them. I know I would have if I were there.

WinningUgly!
03-28-2003, 10:28 PM

At least it's only at the home openers, Sunday games and holidays.

MarkEdward
03-28-2003, 10:29 PM

Ugh. First, in my opinion, "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" is *much* more patriotic than "God Bless America." "Take Me..." makes me think of all the great things that make up America: baseball, spending time with family and friends, and freedom.

Second, dear MLB: not every baseball fan is Christian. Some don't even believe in a deity.

TornLabrum
03-28-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by hsnterprize
Well...they may not have sang "God Bless Ameirca" during the 7th inning stretch during WWII...they only drafted ball players and made them fight in the war.

Singing "God Bless America" during the 7th inning stretch isn't all that bad when you consider it's baseball's way to honor the troops in the war. Besides...a few of the troops might actually appreciate it if they see people at the ballpark singing along and showing support for them. I know I would have if I were there.

What some clubs did do in WWII was install organs for the playing of the National Anthem before the start of games, something that wasn't done before then.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-29-2003, 04:07 AM
OK, if you don't want to sing "God Bless America" then that is fine. Go get a beer during the song. However, you live in this country, and if you cannot give up a trivial song such as "Take me out to the Ballgame" during a time strife, then I think you have to question if you should live here or Canada (perhaps France if you feel that strongly). The polls show that over 50% support the war, and providing that that is the case (and you have to believe this when independent polls show this), then baseball is catering to the majority (which is proper in a democracy).

None of these players are in danger of being drafted. As a matter of fact, thank GOD (or whatever you believe in) for those who are in the military who are fighting for not only our right, but the right of others, to be free. It is only a small gesture on our part to have this song played while OUR troops are in the field. I wish MLB would make this mandatory while OUR troops are abroad in conflict.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR TROOPS IN THIS TIME OF CONFLICT.

34 Inch Stick
03-29-2003, 11:08 AM
Winner, instead of doing meaningless and easy gestures to show "patriotism" why not advocate for something a little more worthwhile.

How about something like club sponsored voter registration at the ballpark. Then all of the "patriots" with the little flag waving off the side of their car could actually be engaged in national affairs like the 33% of us who take the time to vote.

Or free tickets to the families of those serving overseas.

Or develop a baseball founded fund for the families of those killed during the war that is funded by all receipts received on July 4th.

These are just off the top of my head. Each has a greater effect than the playing of God Bless America in the 7th inning. We have been through this topic, so I don't want to argue any more about it.

You want to talk trivial? Basing your support or lack of support for the country on the singing of a song, that is trivial.

WinningUgly!
03-29-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
OK, if you don't want to sing "God Bless America" then that is fine. Go get a beer during the song. However, you live in this country, and if you cannot give up a trivial song such as "Take me out to the Ballgame" during a time strife, then I think you have to question if you should live here or Canada (perhaps France if you feel that strongly).
I don't really care if they play "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", "God Bless America" or "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round & Round". I am able to support our active troops (even if I disagree with WHY they are there), with or without the help of Bud friggin' Selig.

The polls show that over 50% support the war, and providing that that is the case (and you have to believe this when independent polls show this), then baseball is catering to the majority (which is proper in a democracy).

None of these players are in danger of being drafted. As a matter of fact, thank GOD (or whatever you believe in) for those who are in the military who are fighting for not only our right, but the right of others, to be free. It is only a small gesture on our part to have this song played while OUR troops are in the field. I wish MLB would make this mandatory while OUR troops are abroad in conflict.

Making a religious/patriotic song "mandatory"? Yikes! Does this also sound proper in a democracy? Isn't it bad enough that the flag's been hijacked and turned into a logo? - The trademark of a monopoly on patriotism. So, what happens when/if the poll numbers change & less than 50% are in favor of the war? Does MLB, then drop "GBA"?

In my opinion, patriotism is cheapened when corporations start telling you when & where to feel patriotic.

Support our troops & our Sox
(Enough to keep this outta the Parking Lot?):D: