PDA

View Full Version : Latest Tejada rumor

Paulwny
03-28-2003, 02:31 PM
From the Toronto Sun
Although the Philadelphia Phillies deny any interest in Tejada, the hottest rumour in Arizona -- hotter than Phoenix asphalt at noon hour -- is that the Phillies will send all-star shortstop Jimmy Rollins and right-hander Brett Myers to the A's for Tejada.

http://www.canoe.ca/Slam030328/col_elliott-sun.html

Brian26
03-28-2003, 02:41 PM
That's highway robbery.

czalgosz
03-28-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
That's highway robbery.

Not necessarily. Myers is pretty good (his minor-league numbers are pretty similar to what Garland did, IIRC) and Rollins is still very young. A lot of people are still expecting big things from him.

That would be a pretty good return for one year of Tejada, IMO.

longshot7
03-28-2003, 03:00 PM
the A's already have a great shortstop prospect who will fill Tejada's shoes - they wouldn't trade for rollins. this rumor will total b.s. - and beane already said they're not gonna trade the mvp.

Brian26
03-28-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Not necessarily. Myers is pretty good (his minor-league numbers are pretty similar to what Garland did, IIRC) and Rollins is still very young. A lot of people are still expecting big things from him.

I've got a problem with trading the AL MVP for a light-hitting shortstop and a "can't miss" minor league pitcher. Talk about a blow to morale in the A's clubhouse if this trade goes down. Maybe they will lose Tejada after the year, but at least go down fighting. The season hasn't even started yet.

hold2dibber
03-28-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Brian26
I've got a problem with trading the AL MVP for a light-hitting shortstop and a "can't miss" minor league pitcher. Talk about a blow to morale in the A's clubhouse if this trade goes down. Maybe they will lose Tejada after the year, but at least go down fighting. The season hasn't even started yet.

That's exactly why this trade ain't gonna happen. I agree that this trade actually wouldn't be too bad of a trade for the A's in the long run; however, they have a chance to win it all this year, and they have a much better chance of doing it with Tejada than with Rollins and Myers. The A's would really, really miss Tejada's bat in the middle of that line-up. They're only going to trade Tejada if (1) it is a deal that still leaves them with the opportunity to contend for a championship this year, OR (2) if they fall out of contention at the trading deadline (which seems pretty unlikely).

Hangar18
03-28-2003, 04:29 PM
Thats a stupid trade. they effectively give up the season the A's make that trade. Nice to see the Phillies giving the Cardinals and Mets a run for the money for loving American League Players the most.

jeremyb1
03-28-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by longshot7
the A's already have a great shortstop prospect who will fill Tejada's shoes - they wouldn't trade for rollins. this rumor will total b.s. - and beane already said they're not gonna trade the mvp.

who? ellis?

czalgosz
03-28-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by longshot7

I was just thinking in terms of talent acquired - you're right, it probably would hurt them in the short run; enough to make the trade not happen.

Jjav829
03-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
who? ellis?

I think he was talking about Bobby Crosby.

I don't believe the trade. The A's think they have a legitimate at the WS this year. They seem to be willing to take one last shot at the WS with Tejada, then let him walk and take the two picks, and replace him with Crosby next year.