PDA

View Full Version : Herm Schneider: surgery possibility for Wright

Foulke You
03-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Apparently the 3 choices for Dan Wright are "resting the arm, pitch through the pain, or surgery". Right now the Sox appear to be taking the first choice and resting the arm but surgery is a possiblilty. Read on...

Wright (http://www.whitesox.com)

Iguana775
03-28-2003, 02:32 PM
I would go with the surgery. Why not get it fixed now and not have to worry about it later.

bc2k
03-28-2003, 02:47 PM
How the hell did Wright hurt his arm in the first place? I'm sure he didn't pitch winter ball, and was fine at the end of last season, so his injury wasn't caused by pitching too often, right?

Hangar18
03-28-2003, 03:04 PM
I seem to Remember a post of mine a while back where It was reported Wrights elbow was "tender", and I said UH-OH, Elbow Injuries are NEVER GOOD, Hes in big trouble. Well, my worst fears are pretty much confirmed. Word on the Street is Wrights gong to miss the season. I hope that he goes ahead and gets this taken care of Right Now....The sooner they do this, The Sooner he can start rehabbing.

bc2k
03-28-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18
I seem to Remember a post of mine a while back where It was reported Wrights elbow was "tender", and I said UH-OH, Elbow Injuries are NEVER GOOD, Hes in big trouble. Well, my worst fears are pretty much confirmed. Word on the Street is Wrights gong to miss the season. I hope that he goes ahead and gets this taken care of Right Now....The sooner they do this, The Sooner he can start rehabbing.

I remember James Andrews saying that elbow injuries are better than shoulder injuries, so at least we've got that going for us...

LuvSox
03-28-2003, 04:49 PM
....enter Josh Stewart. I have big hopes for this kid. Danny should get serious about the elbow, get cut and get healthy asap.

jeremyb1
03-28-2003, 06:46 PM
i don't understand this. all the test results so far have indicated there is no structural damage. unless wright has actual structural damage to his elbow i fail to see how surgery could aleviate any problems. if he truly has an elbow strain or tendinitus, you can't operate on that. i wonder if this quote wasn't taken out of context.

Foulke You
03-28-2003, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i don't understand this. all the test results so far have indicated there is no structural damage. unless wright has actual structural damage to his elbow i fail to see how surgery could aleviate any problems. if he truly has an elbow strain or tendinitus, you can't operate on that. i wonder if this quote wasn't taken out of context.

The article mentions surgery more than once and is on the team's official website so I tend to think it is accurate but anything is possible. However, they did say surgery is a last resort and ultimately will be Dan Wright's decision. Hopefully, it is just some minor inflammation but Wright has never been hurt before so there is no gauge to judge how he will pitch. My worry is that Wright will rush himself back to pitching because of fears of losing his job to Josh Stewart. I don't want a repeat of the Jim Parque situation from last year where a guy who isn't ready is out there is throwing 83 mph meatballs for MLB opposition to tee off on.

Let's see what Stewart can do, perhaps he can be a baby Buehrle. He certainly has a hot hand right now and we might be able to coax 3 or 4 wins out of him until a decision has to be made on Wright.

dougs78
03-29-2003, 10:41 AM
The only surgery I can see as a possibility with the information we are going from is a somewhat minor one to remove the bone chips. Bonds had this done this offseason, Kearns just had it done this spring training. Its obviously a bigger deal for a picher and should keep him out for awhile, but as I understand it this surgery should not keep him out long term (ie, the whole season). The bone chips are the only "damage" that has been reported. I agree jeremy, you certainly cannot do surgery to alleviate soreness!