PDA

View Full Version : Overrated Twins

jortafan
03-28-2003, 10:04 AM
http://www.salon.com/news/sports/col/kaufman/2003/03/28/baseball/index1.html

he's not the most authoritative source, or the most reliable, but it's nice to see that not everybody has a massive sugar rush from eating too many twin-kies.

fhqwhgads
03-28-2003, 10:35 AM
How about a quote for those of us amongst the non-subscribed, hmmmmmmmm?

GO TWINS!

Unregistered
03-28-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads

GO TWINS! Beat it, Twins Fan! :angry:

fhqwhgads
03-28-2003, 11:41 AM
:prozac

Temper, temper, Unregistered. Before you get all hot and bothered, just remember what we have in common:

:notoons

GO TWINS!

DrCrawdad
03-28-2003, 11:46 AM

GO TWINS!

http://images.salon.com/col/src/kkaufman.gif

American League Central:

A lot of the cool kids are picking the Twins to go all the way. "Save for a few morons, the Twins are everyone's pick to win the Central," writes Jeff Pearlman of Sports Illustrated. Well, count me as a moron because I'm going with the Chicago White Sox. I'm just not a believer in the Twins. Things kind of went perfectly for them too last year, and they still only won 94 games, despite playing in by far the weakest division in baseball. They were a mediocre 44-42 against everyone else. This year the Sox, who are rounding into a pretty nice club, especially if Frank Thomas bounces back and young third baseman Joe Crede lives up to his billing, will offer a stiffer challenge.

Predicted finish: Chicago, Minnesota, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City.

Unregistered
03-28-2003, 11:46 AM
Temper, temper, Unregistered. Before you get all hot and bothered, just remember what we have in common:

:notoons

GO TWINS! Agreed, fhqwhgads. Besides, that wasn't directed at you, per se... just gearing up for the season. You understand, I'm sure.

DrCrawdad
03-28-2003, 12:54 PM
King Kaufman's picks in the NL Central...

National League Central:

The St. Louis Cardinals won this division by 13 games last year, and they still have a formidable lineup. But that pitching staff. Tony La Russa held it together with chewing gum and twisty ties last year, but can that be done two years running? I don't think so. The Houston Astros are a popular choice here, but I'm going to take a flyer on Baker and the Cubs, not so much because of the manager, though his leadership will be big, but because of their young, talented starters. Cincinnati might do that hang around and then fade thing.

Predicted finish:

Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee.

voodoochile
03-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

http://images.salon.com/col/src/kkaufman.gif

American League Central: A lot of the cool kids are picking the Twins to go all the way. "Save for a few morons, the Twins are everyone's pick to win the Central," writes Jeff Pearlman of Sports Illustrated. Well, count me as a moron because I'm going with the Chicago White Sox. I'm just not a believer in the Twins. Things kind of went perfectly for them too last year, and they still only won 94 games, despite playing in by far the weakest division in baseball. They were a mediocre 44-42 against everyone else. This year the Sox, who are rounding into a pretty nice club, especially if Frank Thomas bounces back and young third baseman Joe Crede lives up to his billing, will offer a stiffer challenge.
Predicted finish: Chicago, Minnesota, Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City.

This guy's a genius...

Originally posted by DrCrawdad
King Kaufman's picks in the NL Central...

National League Central:

The St. Louis Cardinals won this division by 13 games last year, and they still have a formidable lineup. But that pitching staff. Tony La Russa held it together with chewing gum and twisty ties last year, but can that be done two years running? I don't think so. The Houston Astros are a popular choice here, but I'm going to take a flyer on Baker and the Cubs, not so much because of the manager, though his leadership will be big, but because of their young, talented starters. Cincinnati might do that hang around and then fade thing.

Predicted finish:

Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee.

This guy's a moron...

:)

T Dog
03-28-2003, 07:56 PM
The Twins and Cubs seem much in fashion this late March. The Twins because they played so well last season and no one can imagine them not coming through whenever it counts this season. The Cubs because they played so badly last season and no one can imagine that such a good team can be so bad.

The Cubs demonstrate that having touchy-feely sentiment on your side doesn't mean much.

TheBigHurt
03-28-2003, 08:25 PM
SEEMS like everyone (the media) likes the SRUBBIES just like every yr and the same thing always happens :)

:gulp: AND will always happen

jeremyb1
03-29-2003, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
SEEMS like everyone (the media) likes the SRUBBIES just like every yr and the same thing always happens :)

:gulp: AND will always happen

this is just another article in a long series of poorly written previews i've read this season. how hard is it to simply explain your total reasoning? any prediction that a team that lost 97 games last season is going to make the playoffs should at least require one to touch on the team's starting pitching, bullpen, defense, and hitting. i realize the cubs have a good young rotation but i fail to understand how i'm supposed to give any creedence to a writers prediction unless he or she mentions the team's offense.

Twins8791
03-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Quote:

"Things kind of went perfectly for them too last year..."

!? If most of the starting pitching and infield being hurt at some part of the season, and a subpar season by them when they were playing constitutes a kind of pefection, maybe the Sox should try it and see how that goes...
It was the best season you'll see by a team held together with duct tape and bailing twine. "Lucky" I can see. "Kind of perfect"? Not hardly.

Shoeless Joe
03-29-2003, 10:33 AM
If the Twins can manage to win the Central this year I will respect them just based on the fact that this is the most talented team we've had since a decade ago. I thought that the division we were in last year was pretty weak, and guess what? It even weaker!!!! So, with this unbalanced schedule the Sox HAVE TO rack up wins against their AL Central foes in order to make any damage and that includes the Twins.

guillen4life13
03-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Here's the way I see it: The Twins are a good team. I think all of you can agree with me on that one. On the other hand, I feel that the White Sox are the team with more talent. The Twins are playing to their potential. The Sox haven't in the last couple years. Now, in 2001, I think we suffered more than the Twinkies did last year. Why? We lost Hurt, our numbers 1, 2, and 3 starters, IIRC (Wells, Eldred, Parque), and on top of that, we lost Wunsch. Howry and Baldwin weren't fully recovered from their injuries. That's quite a bit of injury, IMO. The Twins whole offense stayed intact for the good portion of the season. We lost arguably our best hitter. See?

Now, I actually like the way things are shaping out. I think the Sox are a much better team when they have something to prove. Last year they were favorites for the division. I think they slacked off. 2001, they were division favorites. They got injured and slacked off. 2000? They were definitely not favorites. They worked their asses off. I think this year will be the same story as 2000. They have something to prove. They need a lack of respect, so that they know they have to earn it. I think the Twins worked that way also. Now the Twins are seeming to be pretty arrogant (the sox have been pretty quiet with the exception of Koch... and that was only that one time). The Twins have been yapping themselves off. It's time the Sox showed what they're capable of, eh?

Nellie_Fox
03-30-2003, 01:47 AM
A big blow to the Twins is that third baseman Corey Koskie will probably open the season on the DL (http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/baseball/5490115.htm) with severe back spasms. Last year was a magical one for them, where everything went just right. They did nothing to improve themselves, although they surprised me by doing what they needed to do to sign the players they had. Now, they are starting to get injury problems. I expect them to return to earth.

fhqwhgads
03-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Last year was a magical one for them, where everything went just right. ... Now, they are starting to get injury problems.

Apparently you forgot that 13 Twins had 14 stints on the DL last year. You and Koch with his "baseball bounces" quote seem to think that the Twins were lucky and nothing went wrong last year. Apparently you must be talking about a different team, or different league, or something.

GO TWINS!

GASHWOUND
03-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Apparently you forgot that 13 Twins had 14 stints on the DL last year. You and Koch with his "baseball bounces" quote seem to think that the Twins were lucky and nothing went wrong last year. Apparently you must be talking about a different team, or different league, or something.

GO TWINS!

It's simple..a combination of baseball bounces, career years, playing in a crappy division won you the division.
Do it again this year and all doubts will be put away. In 2000 we were all thinking like you, we had a good core of players, great chemistry(if you believe in that crap) than came 2001.
So Twinkies, DO IT AGAIN
Thant simple, Don't think you can