PDA

View Full Version : 2003 attendance

A.T. Money
03-28-2003, 02:20 AM
Does anyone expect to see better crowds this season at the Sox games? I thought I read somewhere that season tix sales went up. I think part of that was because of the all-star game, but I think a lot of it is because of the team's chances of winning a lot of games.

Does anyone have an idea of how much season ticket sales went up? Also, wasn't it Phil Rogers that said we'll be seeing crowds of the pre-strike years? That's very encouraging. I remember Saturday games in the 40,000 range all the time.

34 Inch Stick
03-28-2003, 09:45 AM
I heard season tickets were up 50%. I expect a minimum of 2 million (they were not that far off 2 million last year anyway). A hot April will go a long way towards good attendance. I expect small crowds early, but above last year's pace.

gosox41
03-28-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
I heard season tickets were up 50%. I expect a minimum of 2 million (they were not that far off 2 million last year anyway). A hot April will go a long way towards good attendance. I expect small crowds early, but above last year's pace.

Didn't the Sox draw about 1.75 mill last season. I didn't look it up, but this number rings a bell. They drew better in 2000, about 1.95 mill.

Bob

gosox41
03-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by SoxDemon
Does anyone expect to see better crowds this season at the Sox games? I thought I read somewhere that season tix sales went up. I think part of that was because of the all-star game, but I think a lot of it is because of the team's chances of winning a lot of games.

Does anyone have an idea of how much season ticket sales went up? Also, wasn't it Phil Rogers that said we'll be seeing crowds of the pre-strike years? That's very encouraging. I remember Saturday games in the 40,000 range all the time.

I remember those good old days.

I'm sure the Sox will have their obligatory 4 sell out crowds this year between Opening Day and the Cubs series. I recall last year they sold out against the Yanks on a 1/2 price night and drew about 30K the other 2 nights. Hopefully they can do better this season against them. Also, hopefully Barry Bonds can draw a lot.

I don't see Sox attendence really picking up until after Memorial Day. For some reason it always works this way. Nice weather before then doesn't always add a lot to attendence. It would be nice to reverse the trend. I remeber in the mid 90's the excuse for the Sox not drawing so well until June was blamed on the Bulls. Sounds pretty lame to me.

Bob

Juan Pizarro
03-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Thanks to the All-Star Game, Bartolo-Koch and a pennant race ( :o: ), I think they will do at least 2.2 million.

CHISOXFAN13
03-28-2003, 11:34 AM
I'm expecting large crowds for a certain three-game series that begins April 25.

I've had this one circled on my calendar since the schedule came out.

ewokpelts
03-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey,

With season ticket sales up, especially the weekend plans, I think we'll do more than allright this year. I have a weekend plan, and I plan on attending as many mon/tues 1/2 off nights as i can, so i think i may actually hit more than 40 games this year, a personal best.
Gene

thecell
03-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
I'm expecting large crowds for a certain three-game series that begins April 25.

I've had my eye on that one for a long time as well. Can't wait...I hope there's a brawl.

czalgosz
03-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
Didn't the Sox draw about 1.75 mill last season. I didn't look it up, but this number rings a bell. They drew better in 2000, about 1.95 mill.

Bob

1,676,911 according to Baseball Reference (http://www.baseballreference.com/teams/CHW/attend.shtml)

Foulke You
03-28-2003, 12:51 PM

Hell yeah, I got my tickets for game 2 of that series and I'm considering going to game 3.

MRKARNO
03-28-2003, 01:03 PM
If they can get 20k at a Wednesday afternoon game, that'll be an amazing sign.

20k weekday night games would be great

30 k every weekend

sell out more than just the Cubs, Yankees and Opener

voodoochile
03-28-2003, 01:21 PM
2M = 25K/game average. That would be a fairly big jump, but possible given the increased season ticket base (15K?). I would bet there are a lot of 7 game packages sold also - those seem to be increasing through the years and are an excellent marketing tool - one of their best, IMO.

They could reach those numbers pretty easily if they have a good season and the Twins make it a dogfight all the way through. Nothing like competition to bring the fans out to the park...

TornLabrum
03-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I remember those good old days.

I'm sure the Sox will have their obligatory 4 sell out crowds this year between Opening Day and the Cubs series. I recall last year they sold out against the Yanks on a 1/2 price night and drew about 30K the other 2 nights. Hopefully they can do better this season against them. Also, hopefully Barry Bonds can draw a lot.

I don't see Sox attendence really picking up until after Memorial Day. For some reason it always works this way. Nice weather before then doesn't always add a lot to attendence. It would be nice to reverse the trend. I remeber in the mid 90's the excuse for the Sox not drawing so well until June was blamed on the Bulls. Sounds pretty lame to me.

Bob

And if they tank before Memorial Day as they have the past couple of years, you'll hear the crickets chirping the rest of the summer.

fado
03-28-2003, 01:26 PM
Basically I have heard that the lower deck is basically for all intensive purposes sold out except for a certain amount of tickets that the White Sox hold back for MLB and for regular season sales. I've heard this more than once, AM1000 and I can't think of the other one. That is why sales reps are sending out notices to season ticket holders for the 300 level.

Most people think that the main reason is because of the all-star game and to be at least guaranteed seats you had to have some kind of season ticket plan. So I truly do think that we will be looking at 2.5 mil + this year, especially if the Sox are doing well.

MRKARNO
03-28-2003, 02:15 PM
If we really have 15k season tickets, that would already amount to 1,215,000 this year. That number could be EASILY doubled with the 1/3 year packages and the 7-game packages, along with Half-price mondays and Pepsi can Half-price tuesdays. Dont forget about regular walk ups as well. If we have good attendence this year, the games will be SO much more fun as they usually are when we have 30k+

thecell
03-28-2003, 02:25 PM
I think the 27 game packages are included in the season ticket numbers. But anyway, we should still quite a few more people at the park.

TheBigHurt
03-28-2003, 02:46 PM
I would diffently predict sales would go way up

its hard to say since i never been to comiskey

FarmerAndy
03-28-2003, 03:20 PM

I can't wait for that series!

The Twins are going to be in Milwaukee the same weekend that the Sox are at Wrigley. Because we don't have tickets for the Wrigley series, my buddy and I got tickets for the Brewers/Twins. We're going to hit Miller Park with our Sox jerseys on to root against the Twins, while listening to the Sox/Cubs on the radio.

I'd like to encourage other Sox fans who don't have tickets for the Wrigley series to go to Milwaukee too.

1. It's not that far of a drive.
2. You can still pick up the Sox on the radio.
3. It would be great to see a bunch of Sox jerseys in the stands rooting against the Twins.

Hey, why not?