PDA

View Full Version : Ghandi says...

bc2k
03-27-2003, 11:17 PM
I have a few simple strategies I would like to see Manuel enforce (at least to start the season).

Pitch glover a maximum of two innings: I liked Gary Glover in the set-up role, but now that we have Gordon and Marte, he shouldn't retain that spot. I think his success in that role was due to the shorter outings but more frequent work. He seemed to lose sharpness the longer between games pitched. So I would like to see him pitch 1-2 innings of work, but more frequently.

Sandwich Colon between Stewart and Buehrle: I've beaten this one to death, but I think it's a no-brainer. I believe opposing hitters would have a more difficult time adjusting from Stewart to Colon and/or Colon to Buehrle as opposed to Stewart to Buehrle. The arm that Stewart and Buehrle pitch with, combined with a similar style, and the huge difference when compared to Colon, are my reasons for this opinion.

Let Daubach play in a 4-Block rotation: Brian Daubach is our replacement to Jeff Liefer. Liefer's play was retarded by his lack of consistant play. Let Daubach play LF one game, then RF the next game, then 3B, then 1B. Using this rotation (or any variable of it using the same positions), Daubach gets consistant at-bats, hopefully maximizing his potential. Also, the regular starters get breathers, again hopefully maximizing their potential. This would also keep Daubach sharper for his pinch hitting duties. Ghandi, don't pull a Liefer with Daubach.

Afterthought: On Daubach's days to relieve RF, let Ordonez DH, and give Thomas a breather. Thomas gets rest and more importantly, we allow the 2003 MVP's bat to stay in the line-up.

Bat Carlos Second: This is a pretty popular idea with folks on this site, this is one idea I did not come up with, but like it and definately support. Reasoning: Lee's disciplined ability to draw a walk and get on base in front of the Big 3. I can envision back-to-back walks to start the game, followed by a Thomas 1st inning home run. Talk about putting the opposing starter on the ropes.

Don't let Frank Thomas play one game at 1B: Anytime Konerko needs a breather, Daubach can relieve him. This allows Frank to concentrate on the aspect of his game where we need him most, and prevents him from upping his free agency value to National League teams.

Fight for your players: Ghandi needs to get a little Larry Bowa in him. I'm tired of him hop-skotching out to an umpire with his hands in his coat pocket and politely pointing at the scene of the play. Manuel needs to shake those umps up and make them scared/hesitant to make the next call against the Sox.

Thank you for making it to the end, I'm sure I'll get some dissenting opinions. These are some simple suggestions that I think a division champion manager would enforce.

jeremyb1
03-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
I have a few simple strategies I would like to see Manuel enforce (at least to start the season).

Pitch glover a maximum of two innings: I liked Gary Glover in the set-up role, but now that we have Gordon and Marte, he shouldn't retain that spot. I think his success in that role was due to the shorter outings but more frequent work. He seemed to lose sharpness the longer between games pitched. So I would like to see him pitch 1-2 innings of work, but more frequently.

Sandwich Colon between Stewart and Buehrle: I've beaten this one to death, but I think it's a no-brainer. I believe opposing hitters would have a more difficult time adjusting from Stewart to Colon and/or Colon to Buehrle as opposed to Stewart to Buehrle. The arm that Stewart and Buehrle pitch with, combined with a similar style, and the huge difference when compared to Colon, are my reasons for this opinion.

Let Daubach play in a 4-Block rotation: Brian Daubach is our replacement to Jeff Liefer. Liefer's play was retarded by his lack of consistant play. Let Daubach play LF one game, then RF the next game, then 3B, then 1B. Using this rotation (or any variable of it using the same positions), Daubach gets consistant at-bats, hopefully maximizing his potential. Also, the regular starters get breathers, again hopefully maximizing their potential. This would also keep Daubach sharper for his pinch hitting duties. Ghandi, don't pull a Liefer with Daubach.

Afterthought: On Daubach's days to relieve RF, let Ordonez DH, and give Thomas a breather. Thomas gets rest and more importantly, we allow the 2003 MVP's bat to stay in the line-up.

Bat Carlos Second: This is a pretty popular idea with folks on this site, this is one idea I did not come up with, but like it and definately support. Reasoning: Lee's disciplined ability to draw a walk and get on base in front of the Big 3. I can envision back-to-back walks to start the game, followed by a Thomas 1st inning home run. Talk about putting the opposing starter on the ropes.

Don't let Frank Thomas play one game at 1B: Anytime Konerko needs a breather, Daubach can relieve him. This allows Frank to concentrate on the aspect of his game where we need him most, and prevents him from upping his free agency value to National League teams.

Fight for your players: Ghandi needs to get a little Larry Bowa in him. I'm tired of him hop-skotching out to an umpire with his hands in his coat pocket and politely pointing at the scene of the play. Manuel needs to shake those umps up and make them scared/hesitant to make the next call against the Sox.

Thank you for making it to the end, I'm sure I'll get some dissenting opinions. These are some simple suggestions that I think a division champion manager would enforce.

i agree with most of those. a few things though: dauchbach has played three innings at 3B his entire major league career so i don't think he's capable of playing there except in emergency situations. i'm on the record as saying while there are many benefits to carlos batting third because of his on base skills but i feel as though it'd be too great of a waste of his run producing skills to bat him second when there are other options (rowand had a .385 obp in '01). also, manuel is not and will never be larry bowa. he's just not that type of person or manager. that doesn't mean he can't fight for his players, but he's not going to be able to do it in an extreme manner and i don't think that means he can't be a good manager.

as for stewart and buehrle going back to back i agree with you in theory as i'm sure everyone in the organization would but until today it wasn't official stewart would be in the rotation and the rotation is more or less set at this point.

bc2k
03-28-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
i agree with most of those. a few things though: dauchbach has played three innings at 3B his entire major league career so i don't think he's capable of playing there except in emergency situations. i'm on the record as saying while there are many benefits to carlos batting third because of his on base skills but i feel as though it'd be too great of a waste of his run producing skills to bat him second when there are other options (rowand had a .385 obp in '01). also, manuel is not and will never be larry bowa. he's just not that type of person or manager. that doesn't mean he can't fight for his players, but he's not going to be able to do it in an extreme manner and i don't think that means he can't be a good manager.

as for stewart and buehrle going back to back i agree with you in theory as i'm sure everyone in the organization would but until today it wasn't official stewart would be in the rotation and the rotation is more or less set at this point.

I had no idea Daubach has only played three innings at 3B. That puts a dent into my strategy.

I also like Rowand in the 2 spot. From memory, his stats were better there anyway. And I like Valentin in the 2 spot. Right now Carlos intrigues me in that spot, especially with ARow recovering from injuries.

Fridaythe13thJason
03-28-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by bc2k

I think we would be better off pitching Stewart 4th and Loaiza 5th if we are worried about the lefty righty situation. The bottom of the order is much less important to me than the top.

In all actuality, none of it is important, but in our effort to make Buehrle happy, it is important to start him on Opening Day.

calebhatesyou
03-28-2003, 02:09 AM
i think that it is Jose's base running that keeps him in the two hole. it is imparative that hte runner not do anything retarded on the base baths to ruin a rally (this is a white sox signsture when things are going bad). jose has a much better baseball mind for this. more so than elCabio or Rowand, even if his averages are a little lower. i think we can afford to have a more aggressive hitter at 2(jose is certainly that. he hit for the cycle not too far back, all from the 2 spot), provided our 3 man is hitting lazers that stay in the park, while sneaking some over the fence (25-35 should do. this is frank's m.o. when he's on). our strategy being:
1) on base
2) contact/threat
3) onbase/threat
4) deep threat
5) deep threat
6) threat/on base
7) deep threat
8) contact/on base
9) hey batter, batter, swing!!!

pretty intimidating.

Doeboy is a pro. he won't "suffer" like Flakey....er...um Leifer from not playing regular. he knows he didn't come in to make people, namely frank, trying to make the hall sit every 4-5 day. he'll hit and feild like a pro when and where he is told to. he's a great team player, much like Graffy. hell the Sox probably will get of their platooning in on just these two guys, if you consider catcher to be a 3 headed monster and center as it's two headed sibling (they really want to know if borchard can hit or just bomb and if rowand is really healthy). if the league were filled with Doeboys and Graffys, the baseball would be mediocre, but the profession would be honorable.