PDA

View Full Version : KW on Olivo


Soxboyrob
03-26-2003, 10:07 PM
Today, KW said during the Sox broadcast that they decided to bring Olivo north w/ the team due to several of the starters and relievers coming to Jerry Manuel and saying he's defensively ready to start assuming the role of "Sox catcher." He said they felt his game calling was fine. Just thought I'd point that out for those wondering why the decision was made.

Jerry_Manuel
03-26-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Today, KW said during the Sox broadcast that they decided to bring Olivo north w/ the team due to several of the starters and relievers coming to Jerry Manuel and saying he's defensively ready to start assuming the role of "Sox catcher." He said they felt his game calling was fine. Just thought I'd point that out for those wondering why the decision was made.

That's all fine and well, but why carry Paul then?

Tragg
03-26-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
That's all fine and well, but why carry Paul then?

Been wondering that for going on 4 seasons.

Olivo would have to be bad, really bad, to not outshine paul and sandy defensively.

Jerry_Manuel
03-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Been wondering that for going on 4 seasons.

Olivo would have to be bad, really bad, to not outshine paul and sandy defensively.

If Sandy catches a vast majority of the Colon and Buehrle games, that's only 3 games to slice up between 2 catchers. Sorta defeats the purpose of Sandy helping Olivo.

Tragg
03-26-2003, 10:38 PM
I've been away and haven't been keeping up. Is that the plan? For alomar to catch 40% of the games and with our 2 best pitchers? It seems to me that matching a vet with a youngster one way or the other might make more long term sense. I don't know. But just the thought of alomar in there 40% of the games doesn't make me confident.

Konerko05
03-26-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
If Sandy catches a vast majority of the Colon and Buehrle games, that's only 3 games to slice up between 2 catchers. Sorta defeats the purpose of Sandy helping Olivo.

They're keeping Paul on the roster because he is out of options. They are probably desperately trying to trade him right now but I doubt anyone is going to trade for a guy that will be available to them soon. I really doubt we are planning on keeping him on the 25 for the season.

TheBigHurt
03-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
I've been away and haven't been keeping up. Is that the plan? For alomar to catch 40% of the games and with our 2 best pitchers? It seems to me that matching a vet with a youngster one way or the other might make more long term sense. I don't know. But just the thought of alomar in there 40% of the games doesn't make me confident.

YEAH, true why kill Olivo confidence with the SOX bottom of the rotation i hope Alomar and Olivio switch up

guillen4life13
03-26-2003, 11:20 PM
Sandy knows Tank better than any other catcher in the league, except for maybe Einar Diaz. That's why he's catching him. He also knows Buehrle really well, and of what I've heard, Buehrle seems more comfortable pitching to Alomar than Olivo. He seemed a bit critical of Olivo's confidence behind the plate. As for the other three guys, it doesn't really matter. Olivo gets majority of the time. Paul probably comes in as a late inning replacement for Alomar to give his knees a rest, or as a p-runner. Makes sense to me. I like this move. I just wish they sent Paul down and used someone like Harris or someone in his place.

Stoky44
03-27-2003, 12:31 AM
My opinion is that Olivo should have spent another half year down in the minors at least. Yes he may be good on the defensive side, BUT CAN HE HIT?? The spring has not been very kind to him. We all know what happens to players who play good D and can't hit====>Royce. Paul seems to be having a good spring. I don't think it would have hurt to keep Sandy and Paul up; next year then go with Olivo and Paul. What I truely feel is that we let a diamond in the rough slip away after the 2000 season. We should have kept Charles Johnson on this team. I really like what he brought to the team. Oh well that is in the past. I think it was stupid though to keep 3 catchers and send down a quality utility man in Haris down. Haris may not be hitting well wither (Like Olivo) but he gives us more speed and can play more positions.

Brian26
03-27-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
What I truely feel is that we let a diamond in the rough slip away after the 2000 season. We should have kept Charles Johnson on this team. I really like what he brought to the team.

The game is all about money now. It would have been great to keep CJ. Solid D and real nice bat. But, they basically couldn't afford him. Florida blew their wad when they re-signed him.

hempsox
03-27-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
What I truely feel is that we let a diamond in the rough slip away after the 2000 season. We should have kept Charles Johnson on this team. I really like what he brought to the team.

So let me get this strait...you would have spent between 5-7 million on CJ (which was later spent on Maggs). What did he hit last year and the year before? His weight? Kate Moss' weight? And don't give me any of that "Marlin's tanked and CJ gave up" crap. He wanted to play for the hometown team when he left here. He had his one good year when we got him. Otherwise he is nothing more than Karko without the ugliness.

Iwritecode
03-27-2003, 09:37 AM
It's an interesting situation. Basically, they want to keep Sandy to catch for Burly and Colon. He knows both pitchers well and they are both comfortable with him behind the plate. The only problem is that Sandy is very likely to end up on the DL at some point this year. That means they need a 3rd catcher.

Paul makes a perfect 3rd catcher but since he is out of options, they can't send him down. If they lose Paul and Sandy goes down, they've got nobody else to fill in.

The thing about Olivo is that he is just about ready except for learning the major league hitters and learning how to hit against major league pitching. Those are two things he can't do in the minors. Plus, Sandy makes a great mentor while they are both on the team.

I really don't see how they are going to be able to remedy this situation unless they can somehow get a major league ready catcher that would accept a minor league assignment. Until then, I think they are stuck with 3 catchers on the roster...

Iguana775
03-27-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Tragg
Been wondering that for going on 4 seasons.

Olivo would have to be bad, really bad, to not outshine paul and sandy defensively.

hell, put a bucket behind the plate and it is already better than Paul defensively.

34 Inch Stick
03-27-2003, 02:18 PM
As I said in another post, it does look like he is ready defensively. However we are hoping to groom an All Star here, not a one dimensional catcher. He should be in AAA improving his hitting, just like Borchard.

czalgosz
03-27-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
hell, put a bucket behind the plate and it is already better than Paul defensively.

Paul is just a below-average backstop, but he can't throw out a baserunner to save his life. He's like Scott Hatteberg without the bat.