PDA

View Full Version : A question for those statheads out there.

Dadawg_77
03-26-2003, 09:28 PM
Last year the Twins scored 232 runs off of Left handers. The Sox scored 174. The White Sox had a OPS .738, the Twins .731. Is it luck the Twins runs scored against Lefties is out of line with their OPS? Or was there something else which will continue this year? Those sixty runs could make a difference is a division which should be close.

SSTom
03-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Since runs scored is a simple counting stat and OPS is a ratio stat, if the team with the lower OPS had more at-bats against lefties, they could easily make up the difference in runs scored that the OPS would predict.

Luck could also be a factor.

My first post!

Daver
03-26-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by SSTom
Since runs scored is a simple counting stat and OPS is a ratio stat, if the team with the lower OPS had more at-bats against lefties, they could easily make up the difference in runs scored that the OPS would predict.

My first post!

Hey welcome aboard! :redneck

Dadawg_77
03-26-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by SSTom

My first post!

Da Dawg slaps himself in the head for making the assumption that at bats should be even. Twins have 1810 AB vs lefties and Sox have 1246 AB vs lefties. So the Twins produce .12 runs per ab and the Sox produce .13. Actually the AB the Sox have vs lefties is somewhat shocking to me. They are substantially worse vs Lefties then righties last year. So why the lack of ABs? 2001 carry over?