PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Pearlman

Jjav829
03-26-2003, 08:29 PM
Good Riddance! (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/jeff_pearlman/news/2003/03/26/mailbag/)

But he couldn't leave without taking another shot at the Sox.

A lot of journalists seem to think Minnesota will fall apart this year, and I'm not sure why. The Twins kept an overwhelming majority of the team together in the offseason (Old Man Pohlad finally busted out the pocketbook!). The core of the lineup, the locker room chemistry and the confidence all remain intact. Their team defense is insane, pitching is solid and they have a decent enough offense to produce consistent run support. Now all these young guys have some meaningful playoff experience, and they play baseball the way it's supposed to be played -- as a team. Why all the negativity and pessimism?
--Joe Pike, Bloomington, Minn.

Joe, the answer is obvious. Do you really think any self-respecting baseball writer wants to attend a World Series in Minneapolis? I mean, c'mon. Do you know how friggin' cold that place is in October!? And finding a decent hotel? Impossible.

Seriously, I have no clue what you're talking about. Save for a few morons, the Twins are everyone's pick to win the Central. They have nearly their entire team back and free-agent signee Kenny Rogers might even be an upgrade over the injured Eric Milton. This is a fantastic team that -- should everything go right -- could battle for the Fall Classic.

Jerry_Manuel
03-26-2003, 09:44 PM
They have nearly their entire team back and free-agent signee Kenny Rogers might even be an upgrade over the injured Eric Milton. This is a fantastic team that -- should everything go right -- could battle for the Fall Classic.

Sure, Rogers might be an upgrade. Or he might be old and bad.

That can be said for ANY team. If the Brewers get the ball to bounce their way, they can win games to. Whatever.

T Dog
03-27-2003, 01:36 AM
You could practically keep your team intact and add a Hall of Fame pitcher to the rotation -- say Tom Seaver -- after you won the division by 20 games. But baseball seasons can be weird things that don't go the way you expect.

Juan Pizarro
03-27-2003, 09:20 AM
Perfect reply, T Dog!

I'm wondering if Pearlman got food poisoning from a Comiskey dog or something.