PDA

View Full Version : Roster moves

anewman35
03-26-2003, 04:21 PM
Haven't seen this mentioned. Confirms what we already suspected, but I'm still surprised Harris isn't making the team.

Chicago White Sox Purchased the contracts of outfielder Brian Daubach and pitcher Esteban Loaiza from Charlotte of the International League (AAA); optioned outfielder Joe Borchard, infielder-outfielder Willie Harris and pitchers Mike Porzio and Matt Ginter to Charlotte; assigned catcher Jamie Burke to minor league camp.

southpaw40
03-26-2003, 04:24 PM
I think Matt Ginter deserved to be on the team. He pitched better than either White or Glover.

czalgosz
03-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Miles hasn't been cut yet? What's wrong with Manuel? Sure, he can hit a little, but isn't it obvious that he's NOT a utility infielder?

czalgosz
03-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by southpaw40
I think Matt Ginter deserved to be on the team. He pitched better than either White or Glover.

I would have no problem taking Ginter over Glover, but White deserves a roster spot. He's past the point where he needs to earn his job in the spring.

southpaw40
03-26-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Miles hasn't been cut yet? What's wrong with Manuel? Sure, he can hit a little, but isn't it obvious that he's NOT a utility infielder?

Does anyone know if Tony G. can play in the outfield?

LuvSox
03-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by southpaw40
Does anyone know if Tony G. can play in the outfield? Can he do ANYTHING?

anewman35
03-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Kenny says unless there's a last minute injury, Miles and David Sanders will be sent down to AAA. He said something about Stewart too, but I missed it.

Huisj
03-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Trib is stupid, says they're sending daubach and loaiza down. another dumb mistake for them . . .

Sox send 7 to minors (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030326soxmoves,1,6015834.story?coll=cs%2Dwhitesox% 2Dheadlines)

czalgosz
03-26-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Trib is stupid, says they're sending daubach and loaiza down. another dumb mistake for them . . .

Sox send 7 to minors (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030326soxmoves,1,6015834.story?coll=cs%2Dwhitesox% 2Dheadlines)

And they expect people to register and endure spam to get that level of journalistic skill...

Konerko05
03-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
Haven't seen this mentioned. Confirms what we already suspected, but I'm still surprised Harris isn't making the team.

Chicago White Sox Purchased the contracts of outfielder Brian Daubach and pitcher Esteban Loaiza from Charlotte of the International League (AAA); optioned outfielder Joe Borchard, infielder-outfielder Willie Harris and pitchers Mike Porzio and Matt Ginter to Charlotte; assigned catcher Jamie Burke to minor league camp.

How can we send down Harris? He's the only other person on our team that can play centerfield. Who's going to be our back up centerfielder? Valentin? Do they expect Rios to play center? I don't understand that. Especially cause of the fact that our centerfielder isn't even a real centerfielder and can't go a day without crashing into something.

voodoochile
03-26-2003, 07:02 PM
And they expect people to register and endure spam to get that level of journalistic skill...

For the record, I have never received a single piece of Spam from the Trib since registering and that was at least a year ago.

ESPN spams me but only for themselves. To date they haven't sold my e-dress (that I know of).

jeremyb1
03-26-2003, 08:22 PM
yeah. i'm interested to see who our backup cf is. i guess it must be rios. i checked out his stats and he has played 44 carreer innings in cf so maybe he's capable of taking over for rowand there 8 or 10 times over the course of the season.

duke of dorwood
03-26-2003, 09:21 PM
Harris cant throw enuf to be in center. I'm glad he's not there, taking the spot of a major league hitter.

Konerko05
03-26-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Harris cant throw enuf to be in center. I'm glad he's not there, taking the spot of a major league hitter.

So you want Rowand to play every single inning possible? I'm not saying Harris is a major league hitter, I'm saying you need two players on your team that can play centerfield. I'd much rather have Harris on team than Miles or Paul. At least he has some use off the bench being the fastest player on the team.

Daver
03-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Konerko05
So you want Rowand to play every single inning possible? I'm not saying Harris is a major league hitter, I'm saying you need two players on your team that can play centerfield. I'd much rather have Harris on team than Miles or Paul. At least he has some use off the bench being the fastest player on the team.

Well,the second fastest player on the team is probably going to get called up within the first two months,and he happens to play CF......

bc2k
03-26-2003, 10:54 PM

Rowand is a much better option in center and hitter than Willie Harris. As long as AROW plays like last year, he won't need a substitution.

Harris needs a wake-up call. He was whining about his playing time last year. Humble the tumbler and send him down to AAA.

Konerko05
03-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Rowand is a much better option in center and hitter than Willie Harris. As long as AROW plays like last year, he won't need a substitution.

Harris needs a wake-up call. He was whining about his playing time last year. Humble the tumbler and send him down to AAA.

What are you guys all talking about? All I'm saying is there should be another person on the team that can play centerfield. Nowhere did I ever state that Harris is a better option than Rowand. It doesn't matter how well Rowand plays anyways, he should have a backup.
Since Daver say's Borchard will be up in a month then just keep Harris until Borchard comes up. Harris will no longer be needed after Borchard comes up.

Daver
03-26-2003, 11:29 PM
What are you guys all talking about? All I'm saying is there should be another person on the team that can play centerfield. Nowhere did I ever state that Harris is a better option than Rowand. It doesn't matter how well Rowand plays anyways, he should have a backup.
Since Daver say's Borchard will be up in a month then just keep Harris until Borchard comes up. Harris will no longer be needed after Borchard comes up.

You lose an option year if you bring Harris up,this way the Sox can keep him in the minors till Sept. and save an option.

Konerko05
03-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by daver
You lose an option year if you bring Harris up,this way the Sox can keep him in the minors till Sept. and save an option.

Then there is no real point to having him if they're just going to keep him until September all the time to save an option. I'm not too worried about Harris' options. I just think we should open up the season with a backup centerfielder. That is my only point.

Daver
03-26-2003, 11:40 PM
Then there is no real point to having him if they're just going to keep him until September all the time to save an option. I'm not too worried about Harris' options. I just think we should open up the season with a backup centerfielder. That is my only point.
They have one,Joe Borchard,If they need to replace Rowand they will send Olivio down and replace him with Borchard.

The business of baseball is a weird thing.

Konerko05
03-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by daver
They have one,Joe Borchard,If they need to replace Rowand they will send Olivio down and replace him with Borchard.

The business of baseball is a weird thing.

Obviously you're missing my point.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-27-2003, 03:58 PM
Obviously you're missing my point.

i think your saying we HAVE to have someone to play center behind rowand. we dont. if rowand gets hurt, valentin, maggs, or rios can cover for the rest of the game and another. we can call harris or borchard up almost the next day if he gets hurt. if rowand sucks, we call someone up. its not like they are banking on rowand to play every inning every game. thats what they want, but harris does not have to be on the roster because he can play center. the sox can make due if rowand gets hurt/sucks. i think aaron rowand will do fine.

czalgosz
03-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
i think your saying we HAVE to have someone to play center behind rowand. we dont. if rowand gets hurt, valentin, maggs, or rios can cover for the rest of the game and another. we can call harris or borchard up almost the next day if he gets hurt. if rowand sucks, we call someone up. its not like they are banking on rowand to play every inning every game. thats what they want, but harris does not have to be on the roster because he can play center. the sox can make due if rowand gets hurt/sucks. i think aaron rowand will do fine.

The point is that it's scary to have Aaron Rowand as the only option in center. If his name is written in ink on every lineup card, that severely limits the team's flexibility. Not only will he never get a day off, but Manuel will never be able to pinch-hit for him. It's a bad thing.

Unregistered
03-27-2003, 04:52 PM
The point is that it's scary to have Aaron Rowand as the only option in center. If his name is written in ink on every lineup card, that severely limits the team's flexibility. Not only will he never get a day off, but Manuel will never be able to pinch-hit for him. It's a bad thing. Aaron Rowand is not the only option in center on our roster. Like it or not, Armando Rios is the current backup, as he played the position today.