PDA

View Full Version : Moron's New Column


Iwritecode
03-26-2003, 10:51 AM
After reading it, I almost found it hard to believe it was really Jay doing the writing. I had to look twice at the name at the top to make sure I had it right. Of course there are the few obligatory shots at the ballpark, Frank Thomas and JR, but for the most part there is a lot of praise for the team. I even agree with most of the article in the fact that if Manuel can't win with the team that he has this year, it might be time for a change. He also brings up a few concerns I’ve seen voiced here about Rowand in center, Alomar at catcher, etc…

Check out these quotes, we may never see anything like it again:

Can't rip the general manager, not after a splendid offseason. Can't criticize the chairman, who approved expenditures that improved the ballclub while protecting his sacred payroll. Can't do anything but love the offense, maybe the most robust in baseball. Can't question a 1-2 arms duo of Buehrle-Colon, which sounds like a manly South Side fragrance. Can't doubt the closer, Billy Koch, emphasis on the K.

If the White Sox aren't a perfect team, they do appear to be crutch-free.

But this time, he (Reinsdorf) has a right to expect at least a wild-card berth. When the Anaheim Angels win a championship with a dangerous offense, solid starting pitching and a dominant closer, why can't the Sox dream a bit?

Still, the Sox will score enough runs and pitch well enough to quiet most concerns. Joe Crede will sparkle at third, and sometime this summer, Joe Borchard will arrive and swing his thunder bat, though we know he's probably the best quarterback in town. The plan is for the Sox to be in contention when the All-Star Game comes, allowing Reinsdorf to show off his park, then spend some money on another arm, another bat, whatever's needed.

The wild-card team may not come from the AL West, where the teams will beat up one another. Nor must it come from the AL East, where Boston didn't do enough work in the offseason. The Sox can fall a few games short of the Twins and still make the playoffs.

Check out the whole story here. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay261.html)

gosox41
03-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
After reading it, I almost found it hard to believe it was really Jay doing the writing. I had to look twice at the name at the top to make sure I had it right. Of course there are the few obligatory shots at the ballpark, Frank Thomas and JR, but for the most part there is a lot of praise for the team. I even agree with most of the article in the fact that if Manuel can't win with the team that he has this year, it might be time for a change. He also brings up a few concerns I’ve seen voiced here about Rowand in center, Alomar at catcher, etc…

Check out these quotes, we may never see anything like it again:









Check out the whole story here. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay261.html)


I wonder how much of this puff article was written because ofh te backlash Jay and the Sun Times received after Jay worte the article where he made up some facts and blamed Thomas for steroid testing. I know I wrote a nasty letter to the editor and sent Jay a personal e-mail. I found it funny that his e-mail was kicked back. Either he put me on a kill file (cetainly not the first time I've e-mailed him) list or his mail box was full of fans complaining about his lack of journalistic ability.

Bob

voodoochile
03-26-2003, 11:48 AM
Good old Jay...

Only he can manage to take an article that is as positive as any he has written in a long time and still manage to rip Frank, call JR a dictator and suggest the Sox might actually flat release Frank Thomas (yeah, JR is just going to eat $23M, riiiight...). Still, it was nice to see that the Moron actually recognizes the team has potential. Even if he does cover his ass by suggesting the team might fail and it would be all JM's fault when that happens.

I happen to agree with him on that point and think that is one reason they hired Bruce Kim - who would go with a set lineup every day no matter what and is known as a players manager. Heck, he left McWhiff in the lineup last September. Hopefully if the team struggles early, they don't wait to long to make the change. By May, JM will be in full tinker mode and that hasn't worked yet...

:moron
"Always leave yourself a backdoor, future opinion writers. That way no matter what happens, you can say, 'I told you so.' "

rcescato
03-26-2003, 12:22 PM
Its actually the second positive article on the Sox this year.
Its really up to the players now to keep this positive vibe going.
It could'nt be anymore crucial for this team to get off to a great start. I am thinking along the lines of 8-2 or 7-3 to get this
machine going.

Hangar18
03-26-2003, 12:26 PM
Interesting Article......

34 Inch Stick
03-26-2003, 01:18 PM
The part I agree with most is when he states that the team has been afflicted with baserunning errors and poor fielding. I never hear that being a spring training priority the next year. The result is another mental error prone team. I think that is directly attributable to the manager and one of the biggest problems I have with Manuel.

34rancher
03-26-2003, 01:31 PM
I think that he plans on using this piece to fire upon Thomas or Reinsdorf or anything else Sox in a later piece. Soften them up and then WHAM! I can just hear him now:
What do you mean you can't win 162 games? You mean you lost 60 games? You suck!! It must be the ghost of Charles Comisky coming to get you. Or karma from David Wells.

Something stupid like that will appear in the future...

gosox41
03-26-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
I think that he plans on using this piece to fire upon Thomas or Reinsdorf or anything else Sox in a later piece. Soften them up and then WHAM! I can just hear him now:
What do you mean you can't win 162 games? You mean you lost 60 games? You suck!! It must be the ghost of Charles Comisky coming to get you. Or karma from David Wells.

Something stupid like that will appear in the future...

So, how soon until the next negative White Sox article written by the idiot? I give him until mid-April before he's losing his cool. Based on recent history, this also means the Sox are probably breaking are hearts again.

Bob

34rancher
03-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
So, how soon until the next negative White Sox article written by the idiot? I give him until mid-April before he's losing his cool. Based on recent history, this also means the Sox are probably breaking are hearts again.

Bob

I say when they lose their first game or when Sammy hits his 500th home run.

We should get a pool going on


"PREDICT THE NEXT NEGATIVE MORON COLUMN"

CLR01
03-26-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 34rancher
I say when they lose their first game or when Sammy hits his 500th home run.

We should get a pool going on


"PREDICT THE NEXT NEGATIVE MORON COLUMN"

Can i have the rest of march?