PDA

View Full Version : Contender / Pretender

Lip Man 1
03-25-2003, 11:41 PM
For what it's worth:

ESPN had their weekly contender / pretender segment on Sportscenter. The topic was baseball teams.

Both Rob Dibble and the fans agreed that the Sox will be contenders this season.

Dibble thinks the Cubs will be a contender however the fans said the Cubs would be a pretender.

Rich Eisen then commented that "the fans say the same old, same old for the Cubs..."

Lip

Dan H
03-26-2003, 08:59 AM
One concern I have right now is the lowered expectations game the Sox are playing. In a Fred Mitchell, Chicago Tribune article last week, Jerry Reinsdorf talked of winning the division but nothing beyond that. He was even low key about winning a very weak division.

A friend of mine told me that she heard Dan McNeil say a division title would make for a successful season. McNeil is a Reinsdorf spokesman. If my friend heard right, we are getting prepared for another non-Series year.

Sorry, but a division title and early playoff exit is not what I want. Jerry Reinsdorf is pushing the All-Star game, saying it doesn't come to Comiskey or the Cell or whatever that often. The last All-Star game played on the South Side was in 1983. The last World Series was in 1959. I don't care about the All-Star game. It is time for a World Series. We've waited long enough.

Juan Pizarro
03-26-2003, 09:14 AM
It would be foolhardy to talk about the World Series, given that the White Sox have not even won a home post-season game since 1959.
The low-key way is much better than crap like the champagne bottle they put on the '83 playoff program.

gosox41
03-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
One concern I have right now is the lowered expectations game the Sox are playing. In a Fred Mitchell, Chicago Tribune article last week, Jerry Reinsdorf talked of winning the division but nothing beyond that. He was even low key about winning a very weak division.

A friend of mine told me that she heard Dan McNeil say a division title would make for a successful season. McNeil is a Reinsdorf spokesman. If my friend heard right, we are getting prepared for another non-Series year.

Sorry, but a division title and early playoff exit is not what I want. Jerry Reinsdorf is pushing the All-Star game, saying it doesn't come to Comiskey or the Cell or whatever that often. The last All-Star game played on the South Side was in 1983. The last World Series was in 1959. I don't care about the All-Star game. It is time for a World Series. We've waited long enough.

With the current Sox management in place, I think winning the division would be a major success.

Maybe the last 2 years have just worn on me, but for some reason I am not nearly as excited or optimistic about the Sox as most of you. Even counting on a monster year from Frank I just have the feeling this team will let me down again for the third year in a row.

I've felt that the last 2 seasons the Sox had the strongest team in the AL Central on paper. Obviously that's proven to mean nothing other then show how mismanagement has hurt the Sox.

Bob

CHISOXFAN13
03-26-2003, 10:52 AM
WE all know crazy things happen once the playoffs begin. Did anyone in their right mind think Anaheim would win the WS last year?? Let's win the division and take it from there.

Lip Man 1
03-26-2003, 02:27 PM
Dan:

I don't think it's possible for a 53 million dollar payroll to win a World Series.

I'll be happy with a winning record, a playoff appearance and a home post season win.

Now my expectations will change if the Sox go out and add ten million dollars worth of payroll with July trade acquisitions or headed into next year.

Lip

Dan H
03-27-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Dan:

I don't think it's possible for a 53 million dollar payroll to win a World Series.

I'll be happy with a winning record, a playoff appearance and a home post season win.

Now my expectations will change if the Sox go out and add ten million dollars worth of payroll with July trade acquisitions or headed into next year.

Lip

My main point is this: If we, as fans, say limited expectations suits us fine, that is what we will get. I don't think winning a diluted division title is a success. It should be a only step in the process to the big prize. I'd feel different if the team had been to the Series. Winning a post season game at home is a success? Even the Cubs have won three of those during the last 19 years.

Iwritecode
03-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
My main point is this: If we, as fans, say limited expectations suits us fine, that is what we will get. I don't think winning a diluted division title is a success. It should be a only step in the process to the big prize. I'd feel different if the team had been to the Series. Winning a post season game at home is a success? Even the Cubs have won three of those during the last 19 years.

Three home playoff games in 19 years? Do you realize how pitiful that sounds? Does you realize how far we have to go back to find a Chicago baseball team that actually won a playoff series ? Just making it to the postseason is considered a success in this city anymore. Winning a series (or even a game for the Sox) and making it in consectutive years is the next step...

TheBigHurt
03-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
For what it's worth:

ESPN had their weekly contender / pretender segment on Sportscenter. The topic was baseball teams.

Both Rob Dibble and the fans agreed that the Sox will be contenders this season.

Dibble thinks the Cubs will be a contender however the fans said the Cubs would be a pretender.

Rich Eisen then commented that "the fans say the same old, same old for the Cubs..."

Lip

whata mean "the fans" actull baseball fans or the radio station The Fan or ?????????

Lip Man 1
03-27-2003, 02:37 PM
Fans being those who voted on the web site in regards to weather or not each of the listed teams was a contender or a pretender

Lip