PDA

View Full Version : 4 parts to Comiskey plan

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2001, 10:26 AM
From the Sun Times:
The changes announced Wednesday are Part II of a four-part plan to renovate the park in time for the Sox to host the 2003 All-Star Game.

''Last year was the first wave of improvements and this is the second wave,'' Sox public relations director Scott Reifert said. ''The other waves are in the planning stages.''

The four-year project is expected to cost $40 million.

I wonder what part 3 and part 4 are going to be.

voodoochile
08-16-2001, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
The four-year project is expected to cost $40 million.

I wonder what part 3 and part 4 are going to be.

Maybe they will finish the whole HKS plan... Wasn't that $40 million the price quoted on the website?

cheeses_h_rice
08-16-2001, 10:31 AM
Jerry (aka Church Elder -- congrats!),

Isn't one of the stages going to be altering the entranceway on the east side of the park, and building that new restaurant thingie in left field, as well as the kid's area outside the park on the southeast side?

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2001, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Maybe they will finish the whole HKS plan... Wasn't that $40 million the price quoted on the website?

Yes sir that's what it said.
Which leads me to believe that the plan on the HKS site is exactly what is going to happen.

Jerry_Manuel
08-16-2001, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Jerry (aka Church Elder -- congrats!),

Isn't one of the stages going to be altering the entranceway on the east side of the park, and building that new restaurant thingie in left field, as well as the kid's area outside the park on the southeast side?

Thanks!
Yes that is the plan according to HKS.

Fisk Fan
08-16-2001, 11:23 AM
Could part IV in the process include renovations & additions to the exterior area of Comiskey? Perhaps adding a few restaurants & bars near and around the area.....

Randar68
08-16-2001, 12:22 PM
Could part IV in the process include renovations & additions to the exterior area of Comiskey? Perhaps adding a few restaurants & bars near and around the area.....

No, I believe these are tasks that must be assumed by the city of Chicago. Re-zoning and gentrification efforts while relocating residents in the several public housing developments in the area are tasks which must first be completed in order for businesses to trust the area enough to throw large develoment costs into it. The city offered breaks and ease of development incentives in the Wrigleyville area and it's about time Daley did some of the same to help the development in the area in which he grew up....

fado
08-16-2001, 03:16 PM
Being from Bridgeport, I take offense to those people that think we should turn Comiskey into Wrigley. We (the residents of the neighborhood) don't want all of the bars and restaurants that Wrigley has. I don't need to come home and have a bunch of guys pissing on my laawn or puking in my gangway. There are restaurants and bars around the 'hood, it's jusst that people like Moronatti and the rest of the media think that the area isn't safe. Which is bull! All you have to do is look around for places to go before and after a game. Connie's is a great place to eat, and so is Franco's on 31st. As for bars, the few really good ones are Jimbo's (I personally don't care for it but that just me) First base, and my favorite Puffer's on Halsted. But I am still pissed that the state promised to put McCuddy's back and they never did. I think that addition would be great, but it is extremely expensive to get land in the 'hood right now. Sorry if I sound like I'm complaining, but if I wanted to live in Wrigley I'd move there.

Randar68
08-16-2001, 04:11 PM
Well, I have a few Sox fan friends who live in and around the Wrigley area. Outside of the fools hanging around ON Halsted, the drunkards don't wander around aimlessly, but I see your point. I don't necessarily want it like Wrigley either, but the area DIRECTLY around the park has some serious vacant land that could be developed if re-zoned. The Housing projects and associated crime are what's keeping higher-class businesses from returning to the area.....

Soxboyrob
08-16-2001, 05:22 PM
I do believe that there are a lot of developers interested in much of the land around Comiskey. I'm speaking specifically about the land east of the Ryan where the projects will soon be leveled. I last read that IKEA is seriously looking at building a shop at the corner of 35th and Michigan or State or something like that. I might be off a little on the streets, but it sounds like Comiskeyville is projected, longer term, to be a future yuppieville.

Randar68
08-16-2001, 05:30 PM
I might be off a little on the streets, but it sounds like Comiskeyville is projected, longer term, to be a future yuppieville.

Well, you don't have to go too far southest of where you are talking about to get to Hyde Park, which is Snob-ville....

my5thbench
08-16-2001, 06:44 PM
as a hoosier with a 2 hour drive to Comiskey...& an old dude

at that, I prefer day games & would really appreciate a place

within walkin'distance of the park that would allow me to park

in a Sox lot & walk over for a nice brunch & some Sox chatter

& Sox paraphanalia to view &/or purchase before the game...

perhaps a couple of shops to look at stuff for my daughters

& a nice bar for a quick beer......Mc Cuddy's would be great