PDA

View Full Version : So far, so good for Wright

delben91
03-25-2003, 09:01 AM
According to the Sun-Times. (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sox251.html)

Hopefully he's still feeling good today.

bc2k
03-25-2003, 12:23 PM
From the article, "The next big step comes today, when Wright sees how the elbow reacts to the outing. If there is no pain, Josh Stewart's days in major-league camp appear to be numbered. Stewart, a rookie left-hander, is set to assume the No. 5 spot in the rotation if Wright has even the slightest of setbacks."

If Dan Wright cannot take the #5 spot to open the season, Josh Stewart will. It would not be smart baseball to throw Stewart, and #1 starter Mark Buehrle, back-to-back. Since they are both lefties who throw rather similar and about the same speed range, it would be wise to give the Opening Day start to Colon to divide the two lefties.

Perhaps I'm overreacting since it's possible that the #5 and #1 starters do not pitch against the same team in the same series. I'm too lazy to look it up.

czalgosz
03-25-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
From the article, "The next big step comes today, when Wright sees how the elbow reacts to the outing. If there is no pain, Josh Stewart's days in major-league camp appear to be numbered. Stewart, a rookie left-hander, is set to assume the No. 5 spot in the rotation if Wright has even the slightest of setbacks."

If Dan Wright cannot take the #5 spot to open the season, Josh Stewart will. It would not be smart baseball to throw Stewart, and #1 starter Mark Buehrle, back-to-back. Since they are both lefties who throw rather similar and about the same speed range, it would be wise to give the Opening Day start to Colon to divide the two lefties.

Perhaps I'm overreacting since it's possible that the #5 and #1 starters do not pitch against the same team in the same series. I'm too lazy to look it up.

Chances are, since the #5 spot will be skipped once or twice, that whoever it is won't pitch right before the #1 guy anyway. But like you, I'm too lazy to look it up.

Anyway, I really hope Wright is okay. I guess we'll find out today.

Pete_SSAC
03-25-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Not much to look up, in 3 game sets...

123 451 234 512 345... then it repeats, so 2 out of 5 teams will get the Number 5 and 1 pitcher.

Iwritecode
03-25-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Not much to look up, in 3 game sets...

123 451 234 512 345... then it repeats, so 2 out of 5 teams will get the Number 5 and 1 pitcher.

You're not including off days, rainouts and 4 game sets...

Iwritecode
03-25-2003, 12:51 PM
x = off day
Apr
MB,x,BC,JG @ KC
EL,MB,DW vs DT
BC,x,JG,MB @ CL
EL,BC,DW,x @ DT
MB,JG,BC vs KC
EL,DW,MB,JG vs CL
BC,EL,DW vs BA
MB,JG,BC,x vs MN
EL,MB,JG vs OK

This was how ESPNJohn broke down the possible rotation in an earlier thread. It shows that in the second series the #1 and #5 will pitch on back-2-back days against the same team. This goes along with what has been reported as Wright's target date for being ready (April 6).

If Wright isn't ready to go by then I think they will stick with Burly as #1 and Stewart as #5. It's also been reported that the #5 starter will only start 8 games in the first two months anyways.

WhiteSoxWinner
03-25-2003, 12:55 PM
OK, I am bored, and have time on my hands, so I printed the April schedule. Assuming that the Sox bump the fifth starter for every off day, they don't need a fifth starter until April 19. As such, Buerle and Stewart would pitch back to back against the Indians (April 19 & 20) and Oakland (April 30 & May 1). April 24, Stewart would pitch against BAL, while on April 25, Buerle pitches against MIN. If it works as I think, that will be nice because it would be the 1-2-3 pitchers to face MIN.

TheBigHurt
03-25-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
OK, I am bored, and have time on my hands, so I printed the April schedule. Assuming that the Sox bump the fifth starter for every off day, they don't need a fifth starter until April 19. As such, Buerle and Stewart would pitch back to back against the Indians (April 19 & 20) and Oakland (April 30 & May 1). April 24, Stewart would pitch against BAL, while on April 25, Buerle pitches against MIN. If it works as I think, that will be nice because it would be the 1-2-3 pitchers to face MIN.

LETS JUST HOPE JERRY THINKS AS MUCH AS YOU :D: :)

Iwritecode
03-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner

It's been reported many times that they will need a #5 starter on April 6th. I tried once to figure out the rotation for the first couple of months in this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17381).

I'm still not sure that's right because I also read that because of days off, the #1 and #2 starters will only pitch on back to back days twice in the first two months...

Scotty347
03-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Jerry has talked about the rotation quite a bit in spring training, and the first couple week looks like this:

March 31 vs KC #1 Buehrle
April 2 vs KC #2 Colon
April 3 vs KC #3 Garland
April 4 vs Det #4 Loiza
April 5 vs Det #1 Buehrle
April 6 vs Det #5 Wright or Stewart
April 7 vs Cle #2 Colon

Colon will go on Apr 7 on the normal 5 day schedule. If you remember earlier he was excited to be named the #2 guy because he will get to start Cleveland's home opener.
That would put

April 9 vs Cle #3 Garland
April 10 vs Cle #4 Loiza
April 11 vs Det #1 Buehrle
April 12 vs Det #2 Colon

or something to that effect. Not sure about Apr 11-12, but I'm pretty sure thats the way it will play out until the start of the Cleveland series.