PDA

View Full Version : stark: sox second in running to be this year's angels...

jeremyb1
03-25-2003, 04:27 AM
according to jason stark and conversations he's had with gm's throughout the game, we're the second most likely to win the world serious amongst teams with a sub-100 million payroll that failed to make the playoffs last season. the only problem? the team most likely to be this years angels? the cubs.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1528685.html

MetalliSox
03-25-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
according to jason stark and conversations he's had with gm's throughout the game, we're the second most likely to win the world serious amongst teams with a sub-100 million payroll that failed to make the playoffs last season. the only problem? the team most likely to be this years angels? the cubs.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayson/1528685.html

Am I the only one that thinks that the Cubs pitching staff is NOT that intimidating than it was last year? I mean no healthy John Lieber.

T Dog
03-25-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
Am I the only one that thinks that the Cubs pitching staff is NOT that intimidating than it was last year? I mean no healthy John Lieber.

You're not alone. The only thing I can figure is that with all the no-hitters that Cub fans expect to be pitched by Wood, Prior and Clement, they expect they will have no reason to miss Lieber.

SoxxoS
03-25-2003, 04:07 PM
Does anyone else think-

A) Clement is due to have elbow problems with that slider he throws?
and/or
B) Clement is going to come back to earth after a career year last year?

I don't hope he gets injured, I just think he looks like a canidate for injury. I do think he careered it a tad last year, and should fall a little below last year's #'s.

But Jesus' improvement from being in the league a year will offset Clement's fall in numbers, so no worries!

Pete_SSAC
03-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by T Dog
You're not alone. The only thing I can figure is that with all the no-hitters that Cub fans expect to be pitched by Wood, Prior and Clement, they expect they will have no reason to miss Lieber.

Wood is overrated and I think will never live up to what he was, and what he could of been. Prior and Clement are the only pitchers that worry me. Their bullpen, while better, still is shaky, not to mention their lack of O and D

- Pete

ssang
03-25-2003, 06:04 PM
Here's the deal with the Cubs. Prior is good and he will be awesome for many years. You'd be foolish to deny that. Clement is also a very good pitcher. But after that, this team is so overrrated it's sickening. Kerry Wood has all the tools however, he's had the tools for years now. He'll have command over his pithces once every 3-4 starts. He's wild and injury prone, and he's a loser. Now offensively, the Cubs suck. After Sosa we're looking at Corey (2 walks after the all-star break!) Patterson, Moises Alou, who is gonna play 100 games at the most, and Heep Sop Choi! Wow, their offense is sad. I wish the media would just get off their nutz already! 85 wins for the Cubs and that's being Santa Clause generous.

jeremyb1
03-25-2003, 06:24 PM
i agree about clement being overrated. we're talking about a guy in his late 20s who had posted two 5+ eras in '00 and '01. he could keep it up or he could fall back to earth.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-25-2003, 06:31 PM
the cubs wont make the playoffs.

but.....

it would be AWESOME to beat the cubs in the series.

czalgosz
03-25-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
the cubs wont make the playoffs.

but.....

it would be AWESOME to beat the cubs in the series.

I don't think I could take a White Sox-Cubs world series. If by some fluke the Cubs would win it, I would have to die.

I would probably die of a peptic ulcer just watching it on TV.

hold2dibber
03-25-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I don't think I could take a White Sox-Cubs world series. If by some fluke the Cubs would win it, I would have to die.

I'm with you; I'm an anxious mess during regular season games against the Cubs, even when both teams suck and are out of the race. Hell, I was puddle during the Cubs/Sox "Windy City Classic" exhibition games in the late '80s/early '90s. If the Sox played the Cubs in the World Series, I would have to be institutionalized and pumped full of the strongest phamaceutcials available to keep from exploding from the enormity of it all.

Ventura23Fan
03-25-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Pete_SSAC
Wood is overrated and I think will never live up to what he was, and what he could of been.

I also think that Wood is overrated. I'm tired of hearing about how his numbers would look so much better with a better offense and bullpen. The '98 Cubs were good enough to make the playoffs but he only managed 13 wins in his rookie year, the most of his career. The '01 Cubs were a fairly good team as well. Lieber, who I still like, won 20 that year while Wood won only 12. If Wood ever wins 15 games in a year maybe then I'll start believing the hype.

MRKARNO
03-25-2003, 07:49 PM
The Cubs' pitchers will pitch many games with 2 or less hits this year, but the Cubs will hit 2 or less hits in a game more than the pitchers pitch these amounts. The Cubs will be no-hit this year

TornLabrum
03-25-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

If the Cubs beat the Sox in the World Series, one thing would be certain. Sox fans would use it as an excuse to not go to the ball park next year.

Thunderstruck30
03-26-2003, 09:40 PM
He claims there are questions about the Sox rotation past Buehrle and Colon. How about questions about the entire Cub rotation. How could you like a rotation where no one won more than 12 games last year? And lets not start praising Mark Prior until after he has another good season. Is it possible he is a fluke? He did have alot of strikeouts last year but he also lost 6 games while winning 6.

Daver
03-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstruck30
And lets not start praising Mark Prior until after he has another good season. Is it possible he is a fluke?

I would have to say no, he is not a fluke,he was one of the best college pitchers I have seen in the last 15 years,and he has only gotten better.

Jerry_Manuel
03-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by daver
I would have to say no, he is not a fluke,he was one of the best college pitchers I have seen in the last 15 years,and he has only gotten better.

I'm no expert but I agree 100%.

He has great command of his pitches and his motion is a site to behold.