PDA

View Full Version : Livan Hernandez traded to the Expos

VeeckAsInWreck
03-25-2003, 01:06 AM
I guess the Expos want to solidy their team before they move to D.C. :D:

Read It Here! (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/news/mlb_news.jsp?ymd=20030324&content_id=230032&vkey=spt2003news&fext=.jsp)

I honestly think we could have used him.

Randar68
03-25-2003, 09:23 AM
I can't believe this has not been talked about more in-depth. The Giants got less than the Braves did for Millwood.

The Giants had to give up Livan, a catching prospect, and cash, for a worhtless 30-year-old AAAA pitcher and a PTBNL!!!!

WOW

hold2dibber
03-25-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
I can't believe this has not been talked about more in-depth. The Giants got less than the Braves did for Millwood.

The Giants had to give up Livan, a catching prospect, and cash, for a worhtless 30-year-old AAAA pitcher and a PTBNL!!!!

WOW

Maybe Vlad will be the PTBNL.

Obviously the Giants were simply desparate to get rid of Livan's contract, period.

czalgosz
03-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Yep, I would be very surprised if the Giants repeated as NL champs this year.

Les Expos almost made up for getting ripped off for Colon.

maurice
03-25-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Obviously the Giants were simply desparate to get rid of Livan's contract, period.

Does his deal last beyond this year? ESPN (http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2003/0324/1528953.html) reports:

Montreal acquired Livan Hernandez and catcher Edwards Guzman and $3.2 million in exchange for pitcher Jim Brower and a player to be named. The money will pay all of Livan Hernandez's salary but the $300,000 minimum.

A very strange deal indeed.

czalgosz
03-25-2003, 11:58 AM
Well, now that I've had some time to think about it, I guess it's not so bad for the Giants. They really needed to make room for some younger guys (Ainsworth and Foppert), and the Giants have been trying to shop Hernandez for several months, without a nibble.

Keep in mind that Hernandez' road ERA was a full run higher than his home ERA last year - he may well struggle outside Pac Bell Park. But the word here in SF is that the Giants are better off without him, even if it means giving up a lot to get rid of him.

TheBigHurt
03-25-2003, 12:06 PM
That NL East has the potentiall to be the best Div. in baseball. With the METS, PHILLIEs now with Thome and Milwood, the BRAVES are always going to be the Braves.....and MARLINS with I-Rod and the solid young pitching staff....the SPOS have a solid starting pitching staff as well and with VLAD.

czalgosz
03-25-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by maurice
Does his deal last beyond this year?

The Giants have a $6M option for 2004 on Livan. I'm really not sure how this saves them money. It's strictly to open up rotation spots.

Scotty347
03-25-2003, 06:18 PM
Livian has a history of being a fast starter who is pretty streaky during the season. I believe the gripe about him is that he doesn't stay very focused and pitches like he doesn't care most of the time. I don't think he's one of those guys that contributes to the clubhouse chemistry, which is why he is out of SF.
He is a pretty good big game pitcher though, with some nice playoff experience.