PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Hill

czalgosz
03-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Rumor has it that the Cubs might send Bobby Hill down to AAA this week, and go with Mark Grudzielanek (sp?) as their starting second baseman.

So when, exactly, is Hill going to become one of the elite members of the NL again?

TornLabrum
03-24-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Rumor has it that the Cubs might send Bobby Hill down to AAA this week, and go with Mark Grudzielanek (sp?) as their starting second baseman.

So when, exactly, is Hill going to become one of the elite members of the NL again?

As soon as the Cubs trad him.

DrCrawdad
03-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Hill has had a very pedestrian spring (in fact some would say it was well less than average) - committing bonehead errors and not showing much at the plate. When the Cubs brought on Baker one thing that was said was that Baker preferred veteran players. The Cubs and Baker both pooh-poohed that by saying the Giants system was no where near the (hyped) talent of the Cubs system. Well Hill sure hasn’t shown that he’s earned the starting job so far this spring. I have no idea though if the veterans they're considering are doing any better though.

Of the much ballyhooed position players of the Cubs – Hill, Patterson, Choi & Kelton – the only one who’s come close to living up to the hype is Choi, who’s hitting & fielding well this spring.

Mind you that I’m not saying these guys are flops, yet. However with Patterson unless he does well this year I think it would be hard for Cub fans to deny that he might be a flop. I wouldn’t count Hill out just yet though. Hill seems like an intense young guy with a cocky desire to succeed.

Hangar18
03-24-2003, 01:20 PM
ahhhh, Bobby "million dollar" Hill. Glad to see hes having such a rough time. Bobby, Karmas a funny funny thing isnt it?? As long as hes a Cub, may this kind of thing keep happening to him.

czalgosz
03-24-2003, 01:24 PM
Hill got 200 PAs last season - I'm surprised that he could lose the job.

At some point, you've got to roll the dice. This is Hill's age 25 season - how much 'seasoning' does he need?

This goes back to Baker's dislike of rookies. Don't be surprised if the first time Choi slumps, he loses his job to Karros.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Another Cubs "savior" has feet of clay. Cry me a river!

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Don't worry, Cubs fans. I'm sure the Cubune will serve up another "savior" just as soon as the Flubbies manage a three-game win streak.

:gulp:

:lynch&mcfail
"Our fans are the greatest. They'll believe whatever we tell 'em!"

LuvSox
03-24-2003, 01:41 PM
There is something about that guy that drives me nuts. ( Besides the stupid "C" on his hat and the teddy bear on his shirt.) He has a sort of "Cubness" about him. I can't pin it down. It was hilarious watching his fielding against the Sox. Loser Cubbie. :)

DrCrawdad
03-24-2003, 01:57 PM
The following was written by SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST, GREG COUCH - A CUB FAN:

...As I look around, I see a first baseman (Hee Seop Choi) and second baseman (Bobby Hill) who haven't proved a
thing and still need to learn ...

...Oh, god. And now the team has a few injuries, several players with bronchitis or flu. Baker said he might be losing
games early in the season while he continues to evaluate players.
It's not bad luck. It has nothing to do with a goat. It's just part of the plan.
It seems so obvious now. The diversions do, too. Watch us ditch Todd Hundley. Look at Ron Santo trying to get
into the Hall of Fame. Look at Sammy trying to hit his 500th homer.
Look at Baker. He is part of the diversion, too. And while he does stay positive, even he is letting out his first
gasps already.
Flowers just don't grow here.

doublem23
03-24-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz

At this rate... 5 years after he dies.

MetalliSox
03-24-2003, 03:56 PM
As much as I would like to laugh at Bobby Hill's numbers this spring, our 2nd baseman isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.
Jimenez has 5 errors as well. Not sure about the BA but pretty sure it is nothing to write home about.

hold2dibber
03-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip
As much as I would like to laugh at Bobby Hill's numbers this spring, our 2nd baseman isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.
Jimenez has 5 errors as well. Not sure about the BA but pretty sure it is nothing to write home about.

Jimenez is hitting .250 (12 for 48) with 3 doubles, 1 triple and 1 HR. He has 12 runs scored. Not sure about OBP, but if he has 12 runs scored on only 12 hits, I'm guessing he has a decent number of walks as well. Not great, but not bad.