PDA

View Full Version : Blue seats

Stoky44
03-24-2003, 01:29 AM
I heard a rumor that the only reason the sox put in blue seats was that there were some left over from the sky dome and we got a good price. I would not put anything past the cheap SOB's. I would like to see the seats change color, but only if if is done right. I don't thinking you can pant the seats because of their plastic/ fiberglass material, unlike the wood seats at the old park which saw a variety of colors. I heard the seat were at one time painted red, (I am only 20 and know only of the light green color). If you paint them i think the paint may just peal off quickly and look even worse. The only way to do the job right is replace the seats, I heard that would cost about $120 per seat. To be honest if I had the choice of a homerun porch, shorter upper tank, and flat roof OR green seats and a half decent uppper deck... I would definitely choose the complete upper tank revamp.

Unregistered
03-24-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Stoky44
I heard a rumor that the only reason the sox put in blue seats was that there were some left over from the sky dome and we got a good price. It seems more than a little ridiculous that the Sky Dome had 40,000 "left over" seats... I'm not buying it. As far as repainting/replacing the seats, I'm sure the issue has come up, and whether they repaint or replace, the color wont be coming off any time soon.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-24-2003, 08:12 AM
I believe Lip has a reliable source close to the Chairman in the late-80s/early-90s who intimated that Reinsdorf himself changed the original plan to install blue seats rather than green. He wanted something to remind him of Ebbetts Field and the Brooklyn Dodgers, his boyhood team.

Gets you all misty-eyed, doesn't it?

:gulp:

Lip Man 1
03-24-2003, 10:41 AM
George:

What you posted is correct. By the way that source no longer works for the Sox.

Lip

soxnut
03-24-2003, 10:58 AM
I always thought the blue seats and all were somewhat Ebbets Field-like. :smile:

Stoky44
03-24-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
It seems more than a little ridiculous that the Sky Dome had 40,000 "left over" seats... I'm not buying it. As far as repainting/replacing the seats, I'm sure the issue has come up, and whether they repaint or replace, the color wont be coming off any time soon.

I am not saying all 40,000 seats were left over. I heard that there were like 10,000 and so they got a deal on those, but bought the rest at full price. Meaning they really didn't save that much money.

Juan Pizarro
03-24-2003, 11:41 AM
What's the problem with the blue seats? There's a lot about the park to bitch about, but that isn't something that's ever bothered me.

doublem23
03-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
What's the problem with the blue seats? There's a lot about the park to bitch about, but that isn't something that's ever bothered me.

Old Comiskey had green seats. I'd prefer green seats, but that is relatively unimportant.

hold2dibber
03-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Stoky44
I heard a rumor that the only reason the sox put in blue seats was that there were some left over from the sky dome and we got a good price. I would not put anything past the cheap SOB's. I would like to see the seats change color, but only if if is done right. I don't thinking you can pant the seats because of their plastic/ fiberglass material, unlike the wood seats at the old park which saw a variety of colors. I heard the seat were at one time painted red, (I am only 20 and know only of the light green color). If you paint them i think the paint may just peal off quickly and look even worse. The only way to do the job right is replace the seats, I heard that would cost about $120 per seat. To be honest if I had the choice of a homerun porch, shorter upper tank, and flat roof OR green seats and a half decent uppper deck... I would definitely choose the complete upper tank revamp.

I'd prefer green seats to blue, but it isn't a major sticking point to me. Either is the upper deck. It is extremely similar to the upper deck at many of the new parks and even to the one at Yankee Stadium. They're all really steep. Miller Park and Camden are just as steep, though perhaps a LITTLE closer to the action. In any event, of all the proposed renovations, the so-called "home run porch" in right field is by far the most appealing to me. First, it would make the park less symetrical. Second, it would lend a little bit of aura to certin long HRs, like roofshots at the old Comiskey, or HRs into the street at the Urinal, etc. Right now, the Sox don't even come close to filling the lower deck on a regular basis. I don't see the big need to revamp the upper deck. I say leave it as it is (except for cosmetic upgrades), lower the price for most upper deck seats substantially, to maybe $5 or $7, but then actually require people who buy UD tickets to sit in the UD.

dllrbll7
03-24-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I'd prefer green seats to blue, but it isn't a major sticking point to me. Either is the upper deck. It is extremely similar to the upper deck at many of the new parks and even to the one at Yankee Stadium. They're all really steep. Miller Park and Camden are just as steep, though perhaps a LITTLE closer to the action. In any event, of all the proposed renovations, the so-called "home run porch" in right field is by far the most appealing to me. First, it would make the park less symetrical. Second, it would lend a little bit of aura to certin long HRs, like roofshots at the old Comiskey, or HRs into the street at the Urinal, etc. Right now, the Sox don't even come close to filling the lower deck on a regular basis. I don't see the big need to revamp the upper deck. I say leave it as it is (except for cosmetic upgrades), lower the price for most upper deck seats substantially, to maybe $5 or $7, but then actually require people who buy UD tickets to sit in the UD.

I agree with you, I dont see a point to chopping off acouple rows of the upperdeck, its not goin to change how steep it is and not going to get it any closer to the action, you might as well leave the seats there and sell the cheaply so more fans can come out to the game. I do think the green seats would definately make the park look much better especially with the new color scheme and a new homerun porch would definately give us a reason to stop our bitching.

Daver
03-24-2003, 07:55 PM
I've said it before,and I say it again,the seats could be the color of a babboons ass and it would not affect the most important thing,the play on the field.

Medford Bobby
03-24-2003, 08:35 PM
:D: I seemed to recall the 1989 White Sox calender had a picture at the end of the calender that had a artist's redering of the new Comiskey Park and it had green seats and it seemed :smile: cozy with the "warm" colours compared to what the park later became...maybe some one can photo copy that and post it here?? :gulp:

:reinsy " The only reason the seats are blue is so we don't offend the Cup fans 3 times a years!"

soxnut
03-25-2003, 12:06 AM
I have a calendar with the artists rendering, with what looks to be green seats, but my scanner doesn't work anymore, neither does alot of my electronic equipment around here :whiner: :(:

TommyJohn
03-25-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by daver
I've said it before,and I say it again,the seats could be the color of a babboons ass and it would not affect the most important thing,the play on the field.

Agreed. I never did get what all the fuss was about seat colors,
anyway. The Holy Messenger Jay Mariotti and others seem to
think that it is vastly important what color the seats are. I never
even thought about it until I started reading about how blue
seats are "cold." Yankee Stadium has blue seats but I never
read about its coldness. Then again, no one in the Chicago
media has an obsessive vendetta against Steinbrenner. (That
I know of, anyway.)

Brian26
03-25-2003, 11:49 AM
This has got to be the stupidest subject of all time.

The fact of the matter is, you can't see what color the darn seats are anyway if the seats are filled! The only way for that to happen consistently is to play good ball on the field.

If there are 40,000 fannies in seats at the Cell, who the hell can see what color they are anyway?

Geez.

gosox41
03-25-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Brian26
This has got to be the stupidest subject of all time.

The fact of the matter is, you can't see what color the darn seats are anyway if the seats are filled! The only way for that to happen consistently is to play good ball on the field.

If there are 40,000 fannies in seats at the Cell, who the hell can see what color they are anyway?

Geez.

The subject is getting old, but the seats are ugly. Light blue doesn't work. Since the team is using $68 mill to improve the ball park, I see nothing wrong with posting opinions when Sox management reads stuff here.

As for Yankee stadium, I always thought their seats were dark blue which sure beats light blue.

As for 40,000 fannies in the seats, that happens all of 4 times a year. Might as well have something nice to look at the other 77 times.

Bob

WhiteSoxWinner
03-25-2003, 12:02 PM
lower the price for most upper deck seats substantially, to maybe $5 or $7, but then actually require people who buy UD tickets to sit in the UD.

And take away the famed Comiskey Park Upgrade? How can you forsake such a time honored tradition? Shame on you Mr. Dibber!! Shame on you!!

hold2dibber
03-25-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
And take away the famed Comiskey Park Upgrade? How can you forsake such a time honored tradition? Shame on you Mr. Dibber!! Shame on you!!

Believe me, I've taken that upgrade on plent of occassions. But I'd probably go to more games (and so would a lot of other people) if I could get in for $7, even if it meant sitting in the UD (IMHO, there are plenty of good seats in the UD -- basically, all of the seats between 1st and 3rd are okay, and even the first 5-7 rows way down the lines aren't too bad).

WhiteSoxWinner
03-25-2003, 12:44 PM
Believe me, I've taken that upgrade on plent of occassions. But I'd probably go to more games (and so would a lot of other people) if I could get in for $7, even if it meant sitting in the UD (IMHO, there are plenty of good seats in the UD -- basically, all of the seats between 1st and 3rd are okay, and even the first 5-7 rows way down the lines aren't too bad).

I agree. I don't think the UD is bad. If I could get in for under $10 on a non-Half Price night, I'd go more often. Which would then bring to 30 games a season from the 15-20 I already go to.

dllrbll7
03-25-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by WhiteSoxWinner
I agree. I don't think the UD is bad. If I could get in for under $10 on a non-Half Price night, I'd go more often. Which would then bring to 30 games a season from the 15-20 I already go to.

I agree but i dont think i dont think it will happen. I know its a different sport but up here the Milwaukee Admirals(hockey) made all their seats the same price of $12 because they were having attendance problems. I believe it did help and the sox should maybe work on something like that for the upperdeck. If they charged say $10 for everyseat in the UD i guarantee i wouldnt be complaining about the height, steepness, or whatever else if im saving $10+ dollars a game. I personally have no problem sitting in the UD as long as there are a decent amount of fans at the game.

TheBigHurt
03-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Why not just have WHITE seats???? :)

anewman35
03-27-2003, 09:32 AM
On the White Sox Live Journal community (http://www.livejournal.com/community/chi_white_sox/), the founder (and most frequent poster) got a job working at the gift shop at the Cell, and today she said this: "my boss also confirmed that next yr the blue seats will be replaced by green ones. so the park next season will be all green."

So that for what it's worth...

ilovemags30
03-27-2003, 06:57 PM
well this is the last season with the blue seats anyway. my boss told me that the seats will all be replaced by green ones after the end of this season.

ilovemags30
03-27-2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by anewman35
On the White Sox Live Journal community (http://www.livejournal.com/community/chi_white_sox/), the founder (and most frequent poster) got a job working at the gift shop at the Cell, and today she said this: "my boss also confirmed that next yr the blue seats will be replaced by green ones. so the park next season will be all green."

So that for what it's worth...

LOL i didnt even see that THATS MY COMMUNITY!!! hahaha

hsnterprize
03-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Reading the news that the seats will be changed from blue to green is great. If anyone would like, I'll try to get someone from the Sox to "officially" confirm this when I'm at the ballpark.

I tried to ask people last season what was up, but folks in the press box neither could confirm rumors, or knew anything as far as what was going on. But still, I like the idea of changing the seats...even though I'd also would like some of the upper-most rows of the U.D. chopped off.