PDA

View Full Version : white sox season preview

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-23-2003, 03:38 PM
it's on fox sports net right now, an hour long show so you didn't miss it all yet. they said "With a splash of colon". i remember reading that one here a few weeks ago

TheBigHurt
03-23-2003, 04:20 PM
well its probaly a regional thing so i doubt its on in NY

Lip Man 1
03-23-2003, 07:30 PM
If you get the Fox Sports Network package (five bucks a month) via The Dish Network you see it no matter where you are. it's not an actual game so it's not blacked out. I watched it here in idaho.

Unfortunately that clown Damon Andrews (?) is hosting Sox pre and post game stauff again this year. That guy has trouble putting two intelligent sentences together. He can't make up his mind if he wants to speak in English or in "urban" language. Stuart Scott he's not.

Lip

Brian26
03-23-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Unfortunately that clown Damon Andrews (?) is hosting Sox pre and post game stauff again this year. That guy has trouble putting two intelligent sentences together. He can't make up his mind if he wants to speak in English or in "urban" language. Stuart Scott he's not.

I've said the same thing about this guy since he first came on. I was watching the special today and thinking about it even more. It's like he's turned it on overkill. Every sentence out of his mouth is some kind of urban cliche that supposed to be witty or street. This guy is almost impossible to watch. I cringe the entire time he's talking. Can't he just be normal? Is he required to use the Sox pre and post-game shows as an audition tape for ESPN? It's seriously almost worth a call to Fox Sports Chicago. Anyone got the number?

Lip Man 1
03-23-2003, 10:17 PM
I don't have the number off hand but I did call it last year. I got the number from information.

Lip

maurice
03-24-2003, 11:47 AM
A lack of insight from a person in his pre-game / post-game role never bothers me, as long as he defers the expert analysis to the former players, which is exactly what Andrews does.

He can't make up his mind if he wants to speak in English or in "urban" language.

I don't know what this means. Are you suggesting that he should speak in "rural" language or in Oxford English?

Hullett_Fan
03-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by maurice
A lack of insight from a person in his pre-game / post-game role never bothers me, as long as he defers the expert analysis to the former players, which is exactly what Andrews does.

I don't know what this means. Are you suggesting that he should speak in "rural" language or in Oxford English?

I agree that lack of insight is fine from the host as long as he has good analysts (Melton is OK).

But I agree with Lip his style (call it urban or slang) is annoying. I still have a headache from yesterday's show. He tries to rhyme everything and utters phrases that make no sense. It's one thing to come off a witty when you do this, another thing to come off as annoying. He sucks. I dislike most of the FSN hosts. Why did they find it necessary to get rid of Kashul, etc. from the old Sportschannel?

Lip Man 1
03-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Maurice asks 'are you suggesting he should speak in rural language or in Oxford English'

As a professional broadcaster I mean that he should have the ability to speak clearly and precisely without stumbling, mumbling and tripping over himself verbally which he does time and time again.

I'm surprised that he's working in the 3rd largest market in the country. He reminds me of the worst broadcaster that I ever saw a guy named Sid Garcia who worked as the weekend guy at WGN-TV about ten - twelve years ago. His catch phrase was "check it out" which he'd use over and over again during a show because he couldn't ad lib at all and would use it as a crutch.

Lip

maurice
03-25-2003, 10:28 AM
As a professional broadcaster I mean that he should have the ability to speak clearly and precisely without stumbling, mumbling and tripping over himself verbally which he does time and time again.

Oh, I see. Yes, that would be a very legitimate criticism of a professional broadcaster (though I seriously doubt that urban individuals generally are less articulate than non-urban individuals).

IMHO, Andrews is okay. I agree with Hullett_Fan on Melton. It bugs me the way he says everything three times in answer to every question. Plus, his analysis is too damn vanilla. I long for the entertaining days of Piersall . . . or even Wimpy.

bc2k
03-25-2003, 10:44 AM
I haven't watched those FSN hosts since last season, but I remember their low-budget set. A bunch of 13 inch tv's propped up in the background by plastic tubing that looks like it will topple over. Wayne's World had a better set than these clowns.