PDA

View Full Version : A Veeckian Comiskey Renovation Idea

PaleHoseGeorge
03-23-2003, 01:45 PM
I've been reading everyone's perspective about the changes to the ballpark, and have noted how so many of us view the ballpark as we travel past it on the Dan Ryan Expressway. This got me to thinking about the most obvious thing we see while traveling north past the Cell: the sea of blue seats in the upper deck.

There are 51 full "blocks" of seats in between each aisle across the upper deck. That makes a HUGE BILLBOARD opportunity for the Sox to capitalize on.

Against that giant sea of blue, why not paint white specific seats in the upper deck to create a giant set of 23 letters and 3 spaces to spell CHICAGO WHITE SOX BASEBALL?

By my estimation, each letter would be over 50 tall and at least 35 feet wide. The length of the sign would stretch across over 75 percent of the upper deck, roughly 600 feet from end to end. God that would be great!

Imagine taking off and landing at Midway Airport (or O'hare) and seeing that giant sign spelled out from 5,000 feet in the air! You could add some black seats (next to the white ones) and give the sign a 3-D effect, too. It would be kinda cool to sit in the colored seats during the game, too.

If Bill Veeck owned the team, I guarantee he would have done this with New Comiskey years ago. So of course it hasn't a chance in hell of being implemented by current Sox management. :angry:

:gallas
"Look, we've got flying Elvis night. What else do you want?"

:reinsy
"When Dutch Boy Paint sends me $5 million, I'll do that."

Daver
03-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Damn PHG,that is a great idea.

To bad it will never happen.

dllrbll7
03-23-2003, 02:12 PM
I think that is a great idea but i think it would work just as good with say green seats. But thats something that someone should pass along to the big shots on the south side even though it probably wont do any good.

Brian26
03-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Sounds rather tacky to me. I think that would look really bad. That's about as minor league as most of the other "great" ideas Veeck had.

Save it for Class A ball. The White Sox are a major league franchise.

Pete_SSAC
03-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Only way it would remotly good would be green with black seats as letters... but... even then... pretty tacky.

- Pete