PDA

View Full Version : According to Boston Gammons...

SoxxoS
03-23-2003, 01:32 PM
The Twins are THAT good (http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2003/0323/1528205.html)

I used to not like them, because they were in our division, but now I hate them.

soxtalker
03-23-2003, 01:48 PM
A couple of thoughts.

First, I know that a lot of people don't like Gammons, because he seems to tilt so heavily towards his Red Sox. But I think that we should give his comments with a bit more credibility, since he's talking about a different division.

Second, I'm glad to see that the Twins are being touted so highly. I'd rather not be favored. AND, I'd like our management, in particular, to be taking them very seriously.

kevingrt
03-23-2003, 04:50 PM
I cannot stand that guy I used to listen and read his opinions but now I have lost most credibility towards him.

TheBigHurt
03-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
The Twins are THAT good (http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2003/0323/1528205.html)

I used to not like them, because they were in our division, but now I hate them.

yeah i used to not like them, now i HATE them (JUST LIKE YOU).... i used to HATE the tribe and i still do

TheBigHurt
03-23-2003, 05:06 PM
I SKIMMED though the article and saw the WHITE SOX just once and it was in the last paragrah.......I just think thats a little strange...how you could talk about the twins and mention the WHITE SOX just once in the whole article

BE GOOD SON'S

Lip Man 1
03-23-2003, 07:26 PM
"What they don't do is beat themselves," said Red Sox manager Grady Little. "The Twins make other teams beat themselves because they play such good defense, and when they're home they kill you on the turf."

The little things...something fans at WSI (at least some of them) have been saying could be the difference in the end. fielding, base running and execution of fundamentals (plus they have that bizarre stadium)

Lip

MRKARNO
03-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by TheBigHurt
I SKIMMED though the article and saw the WHITE SOX just once and it was in the last paragrah.......I just think thats a little strange...how you could talk about the twins and mention the WHITE SOX just once in the whole article

I noticed that too. I went a little further than you did and skimmed through the index of articles that he's written since late 2001. Guess what I noticed? Not a single article with a headline involving a sox player or the White Sox as a team. I dont think that Gammons is a good source for Sox fans wanting to learn what the experts say about the Central Division.

voodoochile
03-23-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I noticed that too. I went a little further than you did and skimmed through the index of articles that he's written since late 2001. Guess what I noticed? Not a single article with a headline involving a sox player or the White Sox as a team. I dont think that Gammons is a good source for Sox fans wanting to learn what the experts say about the Central Division.

:boston
"I know about the true Sox - the Red Sox, but who are these White Sox you talk about? Did the AL expand again? Why would they let a team steal my beloved's name?"

Spiff
03-23-2003, 11:43 PM
"Rick Reed is an innings guy."

what a farce that statement is. if you're good you pitch more innings than if you're bad. if you're bad and you can pitch a lot of innings whoopie. i seem to remember people classifying todd ritchie as an "innings guy".

twuck the fins. carpet munchers.

TheBigHurt
03-24-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by MRKARNO

YEAH i knew it wasnt just me.......

hey maybe us SOX fans will start to hate Gammons just as much as Moronotti

soxruleEP
03-24-2003, 02:40 PM
And what's this stuff about "disparagng remarks"? Gammons is about five weeks behind on this. As we know, the Sox have said nothing (aside from Koch).

Juan Pizarro
03-24-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
And what's this stuff about "disparagng remarks"? Gammons is about five weeks behind on this. As we know, the Sox have said nothing (aside from Koch).

I e-mailed Boston and queried him on this directly, with the addition of the Twins doing all the talking this spring, in the middle of a question about Loaiza. I expect he'll ignore it.

jeremyb1
03-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Juan Pizarro
I e-mailed Boston and queried him on this directly, with the addition of the Twins doing all the talking this spring, in the middle of a question about Loaiza. I expect he'll ignore it.

yeah. i'm starting to get quite frustrated with all the acusations of us making demeaning remarks about the twins. gammons reported about it again today and even quoted an indians player talking about how we couldn't beat the twins if we didn't start to respect them. i'd love to know the origins of these "remarks". i haven't seen one negative remark by the sox about the twins in the last 3 months since koch was dealt. i could write a thesis on how much trash people have talked about our "demeaning remarks" though.

dougs78
03-24-2003, 05:03 PM
yeah. i'm starting to get quite frustrated with all the acusations of us making demeaning remarks about the twins. gammons reported about it again today and even quoted an indians player talking about how we couldn't beat the twins if we didn't start to respect them. i'd love to know the origins of these "remarks". i haven't seen one negative remark by the sox about the twins in the last 3 months since koch was dealt. i could write a thesis on how much trash people have talked about our "demeaning remarks" though.

Exactly. Why does this seem to be mentioned EVERY time there is an article about the Twins?? From the sound of things you would have thought that the entire team was holding press conferences daily to discuss the shortcomings of the Twinkies. Geez. Seriously can anyone find even one quote from any current member of the Sox besides Koch, who made anything but a respectful comment toward the Twins??

fhqwhgads
03-25-2003, 08:37 AM
I agree with the majority of this board that the comments aren't coming from the 2003 White Sox. This is just another case of the media taking old stories and drumming them up for some controversy (see SI and the rehashed Puckett info that everyone in the Twin Cities has known about for over a year).

That said, two years of trash-talking has a way of sticking around. If 2003 comes and goes with no further infractions, you probably will never hear about it again.

Less talk, more baseball. :gulp:

GO TWINS!